Driving in the Wet

Started by Anonymous, September 12, 2003, 21:21

Anonymous

I think we're all pretty aware that driving a '2 in the wet is something to be done with caution.

With that in mind is was driving home last night on a damp/wet road, and even with being careful managed to get the back sliding in 3rd gear (managed as in it did it by itself, I didn't want it to slide).  Was impressed and surprised.  Everything was nicely progressive and caught in plenty of time so no dramas... but it just goes to show how careful you've got to be, it's not just those moments when you pull away quickly from a junction in 1st you need to worry about.

In the wet, be really careful, would hate for any '2s to get hurt (let lone their drivers).

Anonymous

I know all to well about this dont I....   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Glad you didnt have an accident!

markiii

now say after me Eagle F1
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"now say after me Eagle F1

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I know all to well about this dont I....   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

And me!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I've finally worked out how to use my isp web space, so can show you the results of what may happen if you don't take it easy...

http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/railing.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/damage.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/closeup.jpg

Ooops!  RIP Roadster number 1.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I know all to well about this dont I....   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

And me!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I've finally worked out how to use my isp web space, so can show you the results of what may happen it you don't take it easy...

http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/railing.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/damage.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/closeup.jpg

Ooops!  RIP Roadster number 1.

The distortion to the base of the hood tells a very sorry tale - just how hard did you hit that railing Chris?

Chris

Quote from: "SteveJ"The distortion to the base of the hood tells a very sorry tale - just how hard did you hit that railing Chris?

Fairly!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Enough to make me headbut the a pillar/roof latch (seat bealt didn't seem to lock  s:? :? s:?  ) and bounce back off the railing by a few feet...

Suffice to say, I learn't a lesson and treat my new car with a lot more respect...  s:!: :!: s:!:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

OUCH!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Them railings looks harmless enough but jeeze... that really looks painful.

Anonymous

Well as long as you are OK, the 2 can be replaced. That's the way i look at accidents.

2 of my mates wrote off their bikes last week on seperate track days. They are both fine so that's what is important.

Anonymous

OH MY GOD!

Chris

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Well as long as you are OK, the 2 can be replaced. That's the way i look at accidents.

2 of my mates wrote off their bikes last week on seperate track days. They are both fine so that's what is important.

Yeah, I was ok, just a bump on me head for a few days...  As you all know the '2 was replaced 2 months later!

I was surprised at the amount of the damage when getting out to look for the first time!!    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

I suspect that the railings were only responsible for the exterior damage (ie the stuff you can see), with the kerb being responsible for the more serious structural stuff? I'd be surprised the (relatively) flimsy railings could have caused that much distortion to the underlying structure.

Anonymous

I don't mind saying my heart was in my mouth when I saw those pics. That's the same colour car as mine, and I was horrified for a moment. Still, as long as you were okay that's all that matters! Must remember to slow down over the next few weeks if it starts getting icy...

Chris

Quote from: "pmdye"I suspect that the railings were only responsible for the exterior damage (ie the stuff you can see), with the kerb being responsible for the more serious structural stuff? I'd be surprised the (relatively) flimsy railings could have caused that much distortion to the underlying structure.

Yep, that was the conclusion I came to as well - I'll try and find the pic of the kerb and upload it tonight - iirc there were some major marks on it (although obviously I don't know what was there before!!!)

EDIT:  Here's that kerb pic - http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/crash/kerb.jpg

Must've been some big structural/chassis damage to warrant a £9k ish estimated repair bill, hence write off...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"OH MY GOD!

Yep,

1 x Yamaha R1 at RAF Wittering airfield track day

1 x Yamaha R1 at Cadwell Park full circuit.

Quote from: "pmdye"with the kerb being responsible for the more serious structural stuff

Another kerb attacker  s:!: :!: s:!:  
I see a pattern forming on this site     s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Quote from: "pmdye"I suspect that the railings were only responsible for the exterior damage (ie the stuff you can see), with the kerb being responsible for the more serious structural stuff? I'd be surprised the (relatively) flimsy railings could have caused that much distortion to the underlying structure.

The railings are indeed rather flimsy when hit side on, but when hit end on they take a serious amount of energy to bend them. Combine this with the point of impact being the end of the offside chasis rail and you can see why the firewall and door sill got distorted resulting in the rather high repair bill.

The kerb on the other hand will have bent the suspension arms, and possibly the rear cross member under the engine - all of these are relatively cheap and easy to replace - just ask Kris 'kerb killer' Clark

Tags: