Started by Anonymous, February 20, 2006, 23:27

Anonymous

if only my insurance company would let me

Anonymous

I think it's time to change insurance companies  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Sheilas Wheels ?

Anonymous

im 20 with a £10k right off lurking, im a student also shelias wheels wouldnt touch me, im with elephant they wanted £2300 to insure me but i stuck my parents on the insurance to bring it down to £1400 with mods! if i called and said i had a turbo they would laugh

Anonymous

Did you try Adrian Flux ?

Was the 10k claim - your fault ?

(FYI Elephant are part of Admiral - I work for a company who take claims on behalf of many of the UK's insurance companies, and also provide the engineering aspect - hence engineers being sent out to inspect vehicles etc etc   :-) :-) :-)  )

Anonymous

yeah 3k with adrian flux (i was insured with them before)
the accident wasnt my fault but i claimed on my insurance
was for malious damage, a bodyshop did a cowboy job buildin me a kit for my mg and was so bad was a right off, my old insurance company are sueing though
admiral wouldnt insure me elephant would was odd,

Anonymous

Yeah, basically just like banks, they have different 'methods' in deciding whether they will insure people.  Plus certain 'flavours' of their insurance cater for different age ranges / NCB / previous claims that sort of stuff.

Yeez - sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare then if the BodyShop did such a bad job - take it they are still operating then ?

Who was your old insurance company, who are suing the grg ?

You got any pics - would be interested to see them  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

well the car looked ok, its a long story they were buildin a one off kit for me, but job was to big and did nothing and fed me excuses after 5 months i said i wanted my car they did a bad job of putting standard kit back on list of faults with it is long, they aint operating and done a runner but we tracked the owner down, the online company impact styling were also to blame but im pleased it was a right off as mg went bust in a yer my car lost 8k in market value so when it was written off i got full amount of money as i had gap insurance
i was insured through adrian flux but they messed me about big time took over 6 months to get money out of them, had to go police but they were useless
just hoping my old insurance company gets money out these guys so i get my 3 years no claims back
then maybe a turbo  s:) :) s:) :):)

Anonymous

Try performance direct, they were by far the cheapest anywhere for me   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

how soon do you need to get the insurance Maz?

if you can wait a couple of weeks it may be worth it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Ernie Ball

Perhaps dumb question: when you are insured on a car with an aftermarket turbo, does the insurance cover the turbo itself?  Or are you just out £4,000 if the turbo is unsalvageable?

roger

Depends on your insurance company, I think.

You can insure the value of your mods, but I guess they will depreciate with the car.

Has anybody tried to get a fixed agreed sum put on their policy for such things - like you can do on Household Contents? Say you crash your car in 10 years time, get £500 for the car & £4,000 for the turbo??!!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

If it is an acknowledged modification (which it will have to be for you to get cover!).....oops stop there, Roger has already replied!

To your question Roger - I haven't, but its an interesting idea  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm covered to a monetary value for the whole vehicle and have been advised to keep receipts in the event that that value is exceeded though modding.

This is perhaps a middling option that - in the event of a claim - would allow me to contest any offer based on the level of additional spend for things like turbo and gubbins.

All a bit flimsy though, but my turbo'd car stands me at less than the £10k insured value anyway so I'm not unduly bovvered!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thing is Ste, regardless of the value you've insured the car for almost every insurance company will only pay out the true market value of the car, which sadly isn't a lot these days.   s:( :( s:(

Do you have a special arrangement with them for this?

spit

....frantically revisits mountains of paperwork

Fair point Dan, market value is always going to be market value and negotiation will begin from there.

However, the modding "keep your receipts" thing is treated separately. They will be depreciated in the event of a claim too  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  but independently according to my kept receipts and not to the the age of the vehicle.....

So the point I was making (badly) is that I'm in a better position than most by having some recourse to compensation directly related to the mods, and this will be over and above the market value of the car (if that makes sense).

Its a minefield this Insurance lark, eh?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

philster_d

I negotiated up a write off value before when the assesor called me. (no fault :p)

I said "didnt you notice the nearly new tyresI just brought.... etc." he said ill go check.

"ok then how about this offer.... ? "  thanks very much.   s:) :) s:)

Philster

Anonymous

Sorry mate, I don't want you to think I was getting at you or anything: Far from it, i was genuinely interested to know whether or not there was an insurance company out there that would sort out such a thing for the motorist. Apparently not.  s:( :( s:(  

You're absolutely spot-on about keeping all receipts though. Worst comes to the worst, you're in the best position possible then. I had a huge folder of bits from my old car (most of which I've still got!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

spit

s8) 8) s8)  Not an ounce of offence taken Dan - my head is spinning at the mo and I'm not explaining things well   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I suspect that separate market value deals for car and mods is the best arrangement any of us is likely to get.

Anonymous

I always take the view that market value is negotiable, but I can't see any insurance company paying out more than the value you declare when you take the policy out!

Tags: