My Fuel Consumption Experiment ...

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2006, 09:50

ninjinski

WOW!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

aaronjb

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

You can see why I don't have a girlfriend, can't you..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ninjinski

The thing is I want whatever program you used to do that LOL   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Excel.. cut & paste to Notepad, fix the spacing and paste in between [ code ] [ /code ] UBB tags  s;) ;) s;)

There are a couple of neat utilities for PDAs to do that, though - erm.. the names escape me however - I'll look them up tomorrow  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

ninjinski

Quote from: "aaronjb":lol: Excel.. cut & paste to Notepad, fix the spacing and paste in between [ code ] [ /code ] UBB tags  s;) ;) s;)

There are a couple of neat utilities for PDAs to do that, though - erm.. the names escape me however - I'll look them up tomorrow  s;) ;) s;)
I have an XDA Exec with excel so bring it on!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sable

Chris_h

Aaron,

Did you gather any meaningful data re. differences between fuel brands and seasonal changes?

Must admit I am very happy with the MR2's fuel economy, its the only petrol car I have had recently where I can comfortably achieve the official combined figure without really trying.

FWIW I have averaged 39 and 36.5 over the last two tanks. Hoping this may improve a bit in the summer when cold start doesn't screw fuel consumption.

Chris

PS - I am quite glad the MR2 doesn't have a fuel computer.. I have found in my last few cars (with computers) I drove with one eye on the MPG figure and never enjoyed the car's performance.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"FWIW I have averaged 39 and 36.5 over the last two tanks. Hoping this may improve a bit in the summer when cold start doesn't screw fuel consumption.

The fuel consumption tends to drop in better weather as the speed increase and your right foot gets heavier   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

IMHO 39 mpg is about as good you will get (I vaguely recall the odd 40....god knows how)! I never get anywhere near that......  s:? :? s:?

red_leicester

I just noticed that the two lowest mpg figures (by a couple of mpg) in Aaron's list are the only times you used Shell.

Is this a coincidence ?

Jez
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Chris_h

I expect you are right!!

Cold start in the winter screws the mpg, especially if journeys are short.

However, with the roof down and tempting dry roads, I expect my right foot may gain a few pounds in the summer    s:D :D s:D    

MPG was one of the reasons I bought the MR2 over an MX5 1.8s - speaking to owners of those, the mpg is really lousy and not much better on the 1.6.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

aaronjb

Well spotted Jez - I'm not sure it was down to the fuel, I'd really need to have run a few tanks one after the other to determine that (totally different Shell stations, too)..

The weather has a fair effect - very very cold weather (i.e. the ice & snow) knocked a good chunk off the mpg, while warmer weather improved it.

I think that's down to how much longer the car spends warming up - my journey is about 15 miles, cross country, in traffic (twice a day), so in the very cold weather it's spending a third of the journey just getting up to temp.

Other than that, the mpg didn't really vary wildly enough to find any kind of trend, aside from the two fills of Shell..

Anonymous

well todays the day i find out if it was all worth it .... im sort of hoping it was not ... cos then i can really enjoy my drive up the A3 to see the missus this evening !

Chris_h

It is very difficult to get EXACTLY the same amount of fuel in on consecutive fuel fill ups. Depending on how determined you are when it starts clicking can make 2-3 litres difference. Some pumps seem to be easier than others.

I think that largely explains my 39 vs 36 over first few tanks. The 39 tank was utterly brimmed, got fuel covered feet! in reality they were prob both 37.5 ish.

Chris_h

Aaron,

Agree wholly re. cold start. It was VERY evident on my last car with a computer. My weekly mpg over exact same journeys went from 37 in the autumn to 34 in the winter.

It was also lower in the summer (35ish) but this was due to the aircon which glugs away at the fuel.

Cold start doesn't affect diesels in the same way, which is why out tdi audi returns 55mpg whatever we do with it...

red_leicester

Is it just me being a divvy (or just the local Texaco station) but whenever I apply more than a touch of pressure on the lever it cuts out, like its full.

Is there a knack to filling up the 2 ?    s:? :? s:?
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Liz

Quote from: "red_leicester"Is it just me being a divvy (or just the local Texaco station) but whenever I apply more than a touch of pressure on the lever it cuts out, like its full.

Old topic - full of smut - but has the answers!

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=filling m
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Old topic - full of smut - but has the answers!

You just don't get that quality of smut anymore, do you..

Incidentally I'm starting to feel like my mpg is really bad, hearing of you folks that get 36-39mpg! And I thought 30-34 was good..

I suppose I should drive more sensibly  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

ninjinski

Flip I get 20-25mpg - Must remove right foot from pedal - on second thoughts - lets not   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Sable

red_leicester

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "red_leicester"Is it just me being a divvy (or just the local Texaco station) but whenever I apply more than a touch of pressure on the lever it cuts out, like its full.

Old topic - full of smut - but has the answers!

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=filling m

Thanks for that Liz.  Lots of smut, but some advice buried in there too... I think!
[size=84]Jez[/size]

kanujunkie

aaaaahh i remember that thread well  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

normanh

I have managed a cool 45mpg average speed 50 to 60 mph on a trip to Portsmouth one weekend and back to Essex via Brighton in total 252 miles on 5.6 gallons. Around town in Essex here I reckon 30 mpg. Seems all about warming up and maintaining a good constant speed. Lets face it most days your lucky if you can manage 50 mph on the M25 the fastest car park in Europe, I have to use it if I want to go anywhere from Essex.

normanh

celmacmat

Hi guys,

I hope you are not going to scream at my question....but i have an excuse....i am French   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

How many littres in a Gallon?   s:? :? s:?  

Sorry but Miles per Gallon does not do it for me...i had a Mk2 Turbo until now and was calculating my consumption in Littre per 100 kilometres.
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

edward.carter

Quote from: "celmacmat"How many littres in a Gallon?   s:? :? s:?  
4.5  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Does this win the prize for most pointless thread ever?

We've all bought mid-engined, rear wheel drive sports cars ferchrissake! If you're worried about fuel economy go out and buy a diesel Micra.

celmacmat

Quote from: "edward.carter"
Quote from: "celmacmat"How many littres in a Gallon?   s:? :? s:?  
4.5  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers Edward...I will go to bed having learn something new again today   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

edward.carter

No problem, glad to be of assistance

Tags: