My Fuel Consumption Experiment ...

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2006, 09:50

spit

Quote from: "celmacmat"Cheers Edward...I will go to bed having learn something new again today   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

[drift] I'll go to bed wishing I hadn't bothered getting up this morning..... what a cr@p day I've had  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  [/drift]

Quote from: "Moleshome"Does this win the prize for most pointless thread ever?

We've all bought mid-engined, rear wheel drive sports cars ferchrissake! If you're worried about fuel economy go out and buy a diesel Micra.

Probably no more pointless than that discussion on the diesel Micra forum about their plans for a track day  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I still think fuel use is a valid topic - economy might be a bit of a misnomer, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of your fluids as an assurance that everything is doing what it should.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Nah.. there was one about oil changes somewhere....  s;) ;) s;)

[qutoe]We've all bought mid-engined, rear wheel drive sports cars ferchrissake! If you're worried about fuel economy go out and buy a diesel Micra.[/quote]

True, but monitoring ongoing fuel economy figures can provide a nice indicator if something is going wrong - for example an O2 sensor going lazy (which may well not trigger a CEL) or MAF going out-of-spec could well show up as a drop in mpg figures (or a rise in l/km figures)  s;) ;) s;)

[edit] Beaten to it  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Quote from: "spit"..... what a cr@p day I've had  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Quote from: "aaronjb"[edit] Beaten to it

Ahhh, sweet Karma. Things are looking up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Nah.. there was one about oil changes somewhere....  s;) ;) s;)

Hang on I'll see if I can get a sticky going on what people use in the screen wash.  s:P :P s:P  

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing Stu demonstrate how to limbo under a '2 and do an oil change without jacking it up on Saturday.

Quote from: "aaronjb"True, but monitoring ongoing fuel economy figures can provide a nice indicator if something is going wrong - for example an O2 sensor going lazy (which may well not trigger a CEL) or MAF going out-of-spec could well show up as a drop in mpg figures (or a rise in l/km figures)  s;) ;) s;)

I'll agree with you there, I always keep an eye on what I'm getting to a tankful for anything out of the ordinary.

But when it comes down to keeping the revs under 3K, as the original poster said they were doing, I just think why bother buying a sports car. My '2 replaced a Citroen C5 and in the 18 months I had it I never managed to get 30mpg once, the '2 was a pleasant surprise in more ways than one.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Moleshome"Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing Stu demonstrate how to limbo under a '2 and do an oil change without jacking it up on Saturday.

He very nearly installed a Corky's brace on my car without jacking it up at all... I think you may have to cough up that fiver  s;) ;) s;)

QuoteBut when it comes down to keeping the revs under 3K, as the original poster said they were doing, I just think why bother buying a sports car.

True - I must admit, I'd forgotten that was how this post started!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Moleshome"Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing Stu demonstrate how to limbo under a '2 and do an oil change without jacking it up on Saturday.

He very nearly installed a Corky's brace on my car without jacking it up at all... I think you may have to cough up that fiver  s;) ;) s;)

what do you mean nearly!! i did install the corky brace without jacking it, i'm game to take that challenge on though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"what do you mean nearly!! i did install the corky brace without jacking it, i'm game to take that challenge on though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I distinctly remember a scissor jack being used at one point.. Or was it just a couple of people heaving on the wheelarch?

I could be wrong, of course.. my overriding memory of that night is the pink condom suit  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"I could be wrong, of course.. my overriding memory of that night is the pink condom suit  s;) ;) s;)

right thats it, me and my pink condom suit are coming round to visit you  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anyway, back on topic  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Just filled up for the 2nd time after my TTE Turbo install. Having covered 188.7 miles nearly all motorway/dual carriageway I only needed 22.39 litres. That works out at 38mpg  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Which is around the same as I was getting pre-turbo.
I've not been hanging around either.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "DavidM"Just filled up for the 2nd time after my TTE Turbo install. Having covered 188.7 miles nearly all motorway/dual carriageway I only needed 22.39 litres. That works out at 38mpg  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Which is around the same as I was getting pre-turbo.
I've not been hanging around either.
You're 2 seems to be extremely economical  s:? :? s:?  It's normally down to the driving style; I never get anywhere near that and post Turbo will probably be nearer 25mpg  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

damn!

i only get around 190-200 miles with a standard car! but i guess its all town driving

aaronjb

Quote from: "RoadRunner"damn!

i only get around 190-200 miles with a standard car! but i guess its all town driving

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

My 260-270 a tank is all town driving  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

i must have a heavy right foot  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

ive realised with every car ive owned i get crap mpg compared to everyone else!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"guess my right foots too heavy, i average a tank to every 250miles

had my 2 about a month now and get about 330 miles out of it before the orange fuel light comes on.

anyone got any idea how many miles u can do on the light?

spit

Have a mooch a few threads down in this forum

Chris_h

Quote from: "rob250881"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"guess my right foots too heavy, i average a tank to every 250miles

had my 2 about a month now and get about 330 miles out of it before the orange fuel light comes on.

anyone got any idea how many miles u can do on the light?

I don't remember the exact numbers Rob, but I was suprised how little fuel seemed to be in the car when the light came on (based on what it took to fill it vs tank size) I had gotten used to very conservative fuel lights in our TDI - which mean 2 gallons and 120 miles!

As has been mentioned many times before, it is always advised not to run too low because of all the 'crud' supposedly lurking at the bottom of the tank..
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

celmacmat

just came round to calculate my consumption (in miles per gallon which is a first for me...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    )

I got 290 miles out of the tank which works out at 32.2 miles per gallon (I think   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   ).

I do mainly short motorway journey and town...is that any good?
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

red_leicester

Quote from: "celmacmat"I got 290 miles out of the tank which works out at 32.2 miles per gallon (I think   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   ).

Sounds about right.  I get about 270 miles before I fill up... with one 'bar' left on the gauge... doing mainly journeys of less than 20 miles.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

celmacmat

Quote from: "red_leicester"
Quote from: "celmacmat"I got 290 miles out of the tank which works out at 32.2 miles per gallon (I think   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   ).

Sounds about right.  I get about 270 miles before I fill up... with one 'bar' left on the gauge... doing mainly journeys of less than 20 miles.
Cheers Jez...this mile per gallon lark still does not mean anything to me, even after 7 years in the UK   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ...sad I know!

I do about the same mileage than you do per day, so that is reassuring.
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

noddynurdle

Quote from: "aaronjb"I suppose I should drive more sensibly  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

naaaaaaaaaw
you just carry on an enjoy it who cares if its a few bob in petrol money its worth it
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

ChrisGB

Hi

Looking at the spreadsheet showing Optimax to be down on fuel economy, I noticed this in the 2 as well. Also have never had a car that ran well on it. Always seems to reduce throttle response unless flooring it fully. Personally, I fing BP Ultimate runs well in the 2. Am trying a coule of tanks of Tesco 99 currently.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Re:
Quote from: "aaronjb"... an average of 89.9/ltr ...

And you try telling the kids of today that and they won't believe you!

Anonymous

I'll have some hard data in graphical form pretty soon on MPG for each gear (my transmission, a non-euro 6 speed) at constants speeds of 25MPH, 30MPH, 35, 40, ... 80MPH.   It is a new feature being added to Copilot for Power FC.   Will work with any transmission.  MPG is much better in higher gears and as long as you don't need to accelerate...   Well, it is nice to save some money, but I'm getting tired of driving this way.

Star_69

Quote from: "Beanie"I'll have some hard data in graphical form pretty soon on MPG for each gear (my transmission, a non-euro 6 speed) at constants speeds of 25MPH, 30MPH, 35, 40, ... 80MPH.   It is a new feature being added to Copilot for Power FC.   Will work with any transmission.  MPG is much better in higher gears and as long as you don't need to accelerate...   Well, it is nice to save some money, but I'm getting tired of driving this way.

Nice feature! Would it be in Imperial gallons as well as US?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Im getting about 21 to the gallon at the mo and have to use Super. It hurts   s:( :( s:(
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tags: