TTET and Mr T UK - First warranty claim

Started by ninjinski, March 22, 2006, 17:06

ninjinski

Looks like I'm the first one in this situation.

SP fitted the turbo yesterday and on road testing it my clutch seemed to be slipping in higher gears.

Droped the car at Mr T today, later get a phone call:

Mr T "erm you seem to have a turbo on your car"

Me: "yes i told you i had"   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Mr T: "That invalidates your warrently that isnt a recognised Toyota part"

Me: "It is actually, supplied by TTE and warrantied by Toyota"

Mr T: "Mmmm"

Me: "If I didnt have the turbo would you fit a new clutch"   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Mr T: "Yes"

Me: "Good then the turbo went on yesterday its done 50mls, so problem was there before"

Later - I call:

Mr T: "I've ordered your clutch, we will dismantle your car and it wil be ready Friday"

COOL - Fingers crossed this is the case but at them moment its looking good   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Now just need to do this probably every 5,000mls until warranty expires then upgrade the clutch  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

kanujunkie

you got a clutch on warranty????

thought that was classed as a non-warranty item, like brakes and wheels????
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

brace yourself for extra labour if they have to remove refit parts of teh turbo
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ninjinski

Quote from: "kanujunkie"you got a clutch on warranty????

thought that was classed as a non-warranty item, like brakes and wheels????

Shhhh!!!   s:? :? s:?  

I got 2 off them on the last car! Its only got 16,000mls on it and i drive like Ms Daisy, REMEMBER!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

ninjinski

Quote from: "markiii"brace yourself for extra labour if they have to remove refit parts of the turbo

Be interesting what happens there Mark - lets see!
Sable

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ninjinski"Shhhh!!!   s:? :? s:?  

I got 2 off them on the last car! Its only got 16,000mls on it and i drive like Ms Daisy, REMEMBER!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

nice  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  , very NICE  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Bongo

Quote from: "ninjinski"
Quote from: "markiii"brace yourself for extra labour if they have to remove refit parts of the turbo

Be interesting what happens there Mark - lets see!

That's assuming they do it right as well   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

I'll be interested to see how this pans out as Matt said he detected a hint of slip when he test drove mine after the TTET install.
Have to say that I didn't notice it on my way home though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

ninjinski

Quote from: "DavidM"I'll be interested to see how this pans out as Matt said he detected a hint of slip when he test drove mine after the TTET install.
Have to say that I didn't notice it on my way home though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Apparently he had it on his own car for a bit but it disappeared - STRANGE   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - Im still happy if I get a fresh one none the less. Matt is going to take it up with TTE as it may be something that they need to address!
Sable

spit

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but those of us who've gone turbut and kept the stock clutch have also had these symptoms at some stage, even if its not consistently there.

I was surprised that the TTET wasn't packaged with an uprated clutch, because if something stock is going to give under 50% more torque, it'd have to be in the Favourites list.

Hence my (possibly misguided) theory that the TTET was intentionally not engineered with a BOV to reduce the strain on a stock clutch during spooled-up gear changes.

Anyhoo, I'll be following your progress with interest Ninji - good luck with it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

According to SP the natural progression is to a TRD clutch cover as the replacement for the OEM. This is what TTE in Cologne have on there demo car and what SP have recomended to me. Touch wood my clutch has had no problems(it will give up tomorrow morning on the way to work) if and when it happens I will change it. Have the turbo guys all changed there clutch's ? and what to ?

Anonymous

I changed mine to an RPS one. It's a million times better than stock in every way (holds more torque, lighter feel, better bite) and is the way I'd personally go after the stock one giving way after going turbo, instead of even getting a free stock replacement.

ninjinski

Quote from: "Ekona"I changed mine to an RPS one. It's a million times better than stock in every way (holds more torque, lighter feel, better bite) and is the way I'd personally go after the stock one giving way after going turbo, instead of even getting a free stock replacement.

For the moment after the cost of the TTET Im happy to use the Toyota warranty, but definately plan to upgrade the clutch in the future.
Sable

Anonymous

Quote from: "ninjinski"
Quote from: "DavidM"I'll be interested to see how this pans out as Matt said he detected a hint of slip when he test drove mine after the TTET install.

Apparently he had it on his own car for a bit but it disappeared - STRANGE   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   - I'm still happy if I get a fresh one none the less. Matt is going to take it up with TTE as it may be something that they need to address!

What were the symptoms/noise and when did it occur? So I can look out for it.

ninjinski

Basically when the boost kicks in the car revs without actually driving the car forward - you will see the rev counter needle move up but without any major increase in speed - In terms of noise the revs increase sounding a little laboured until the car gradually gains speed!
Sable

Anonymous

Hi,

Did it all go through under warranty? Guess why I'm asking!!

ninjinski

It did indeed   s:D :D s:D
Sable

Anonymous

I'm trying to get MrT to sell me a 2 year extended warranty now I've got the TTET fitted, which in March they refused my verbal request "as the TTET is not Toyota approved"  s:? :? s:?  
I've now sent in a written request for which I'm awaiting a written response (I won't be holding my breath for a quick reply  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

The name of the dealer who replaced your clutch under warranty would be helpful. As I could use this in my chase up letter next week.

ninjinski

Jemca here in London - Edgware road I believe.

To add to this I've noticed today that one of the heatshields just to the right of the turbo is loose and rattling like crazy now. Also on inspection bolts have come loose on the connection between the new air inlet pipe and engine top as well as another that holds some wiring in place at back left of engine.

More worrying still is that Im now noticing some smoke rising out of the engine bay after driving and on inspection it appears to be coming from the turbo around where the brass meets the metal   s:? :? s:?  

Yikes - My preference is to get the car to SP rather than Mr T - Will call the guys tomorrow to see what they recommend!
Sable

Anonymous

Quote from: "ninjinski"Jemca here in London - Edgware road I believe.
Thanks

Quote from: "ninjinski"To add to this I've noticed today that one of the heatshields just to the right of the turbo is loose and rattling like crazy now. Also on inspection bolts have come loose on the connection between the new air inlet pipe and engine top as well as another that holds some wiring in place at back left of engine..
Only had 1 heat shield bolt come loose the night before the dyno, so SP replaced it and fitted locking washers(?) and they seem okay currently. I'm sure this problem will be cured eventually

Quote from: "ninjinski"More worrying still is that I'm now noticing some smoke rising out of the engine bay after driving and on inspection it appears to be coming from the turbo around where the brass meets the metal   s:? :? s:?  ..
Is it smoke or steam?

Quote from: "ninjinski"Yikes - My preference is to get the car to SP rather than Mr T - Will call the guys tomorrow to see what they recommend!
When's your oil change due?

ninjinski

Quote from: "DavidM"
Quote from: "ninjinski"Jemca here in London - Edgware road I believe.
Thanks

Quote from: "ninjinski"To add to this I've noticed today that one of the heatshields just to the right of the turbo is loose and rattling like crazy now. Also on inspection bolts have come loose on the connection between the new air inlet pipe and engine top as well as another that holds some wiring in place at back left of engine..
Only had 1 heat shield bolt come loose the night before the dyno, so SP replaced it and fitted locking washers(?) and they seem okay currently. I'm sure this problem will be cured eventually

Yeah Ive had to replace 2 bolts on the fan on the boot lid as it was rattling like crazy a few weeks back. Bolts seem to be coming loose all over - Not something I would have expected!

Quote from: "ninjinski"More worrying still is that I'm now noticing some smoke rising out of the engine bay after driving and on inspection it appears to be coming from the turbo around where the brass meets the metal   s:? :? s:?  ..
Is it smoke or steam?

Cant be sure - I've just been out revving it and looking and i cant see anything - perhaps a little browning here and there on some of the metal work but nothing very obvious, but there definately was something rising earlier

Quote from: "ninjinski"Yikes - My preference is to get the car to SP rather than Mr T - Will call the guys tomorrow to see what they recommend!
When's your oil change due?

Oil change not due for a few thousand, and levels are all ok.

Also, looking at the heat shield it seems to just clamp to the piping on the left, I can lift it off and replae it somewhat but the left hand side is simply not grasping the pipe so its still moving and rattling when driving   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  I'll give the guys a bell in the morning and try to pop up for them to do some checking for me this week
Sable

Gazz

I've had 2 heatshield bolts come loose. So far thats the only problem.

Can you keep us updated on your problems Ninjinski just in case there's anything we need to watch out for.
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gazz"I've had 2 heatshield bolts come loose. So far thats the only problem.

Can you keep us updated on your problems Ninjinski just in case there's anything we need to watch out for.

Yes, I'd be interested to hear what SP say about your current troubles.
Other than the loose heat shield bolt and my initial smoke/condensation trouble I've had no real worries. I've covered 3,100 miles since the install and had to add about a cup full of coolant and 0.4 litres of oil.

spit

Loose bolts - pah! I dream of having nothing more terminal than loose bolts   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

This heatshield thing does seem to be commonplace though. Weird. Hope you all get sorted out guys.

David, what's your total mileage? I've started losing some oil since install - about the same amount/mile as you.

I've noticed that the rate of oil loss accelerates as I get towards oil-change time, presumably cos its breaking down faster. Anyone got any ideas on slowing this wear? I've thought of going thicker grade, but any advice on brands/additives etc that could help would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to stick to a 3k change routine too - must get one of those snazzy sump plug taps that markiii raves about  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Only two loose bolts?!? I lost all four at Rockingham, must be driving it much harder....  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: