Wheels....wheels....bloody wheels !!!!!

Started by nafe, March 29, 2006, 13:13

nafe

O.k.     I think I've now read every post on the forum with regards to changing my wheels and I'm even more confused.  s:? :? s:?       Please can somebody help?

My stock 15's (on an 2000 X-plate) are now really badly corroded with serious flaking on front and just starting on rear.

I've considered refurbing (spoke to Pristine) but, as it'll cost £300, with no guarantees it'll last, I am very tempted to just replace them.

I don't want to increase the size of the wheels so I'm looking at putting 15" OZ Hydras all round. My concerns are : with the wheels being 7.0J, will I be able to keep my exisitng 185 and 205 tyres (they're still in great condition) and will I notice any difference in the handling (normal road use) by not having wider wheels on the rear?

I hope someone can give me a simple answer to these questions as I don't think my little brain can cope with much more.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Thanks.
Black Roadster/Red Leather/Air Con - 2000 X-plate
No Modifications.

Anonymous

Just to throw another option in - Mine are corroding too quite badly.
In a few months I'll be lookin for someone to go halves on to buy either a set of 15's and a set of 16's and exchange two wheels, or a set of 16's and 17's and do the same!

Not that this has helped you probably! £300 seems like a lot?
I've been quoted £200 for a complete refurb, they have my car overnight and return it sorted, includes re fitting tyres, balancing etc etc.

Roo.

Anonymous

I was going to do the same as you and replace my stock wheels with a different set of 15's. In the end i figured it was too much hassle and bought a 2nd set of stock wheels and am currently having them refurbed for £190 - am also having them a darker colour (but thats going off topic)

Options with 7J wheels were to go to 205 on the front and 225 on the rear. Both those sizes will fit on that width. I beleive 185 is definately too narrow and 195 is not ideal either.

So you could keep your rear tyres to put on the front but you would need to buy new rears.

nafe

Cheers Roo, I'll bear it in mind !

I'm not certain what I'm going to do yet. Where did you get the quote for refurb from?  s:) :) s:)
No Modifications.

nafe

Thanks Jaso, you're not wrong about the hassle.

I guess I'm just hoping that by putting non-Toyota wheels on I can avoid any future hassles of getting them done again.

I hadn't thought about the option of switching the rears to the front. Somebody did suggest putting 195's on the front and keeping the rears as 205.
No Modifications.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nafe"Cheers Roo, I'll bear it in mind !

I'm not certain what I'm going to do yet. Where did you get the quote for refurb from?  s:) :) s:)

A place quite local to me, in Norwich.
Where abouts in Northampton did you go for your quote.
I'll have a word with a couple of mates at home and see if I can get ya a few places to try.  s;) ;) s;)

nafe

I actually went to Pristine in Woburn Sands nr. Milton Keynes.
I haven't tried any places in Northampton so any recommendations would be great !   s:) :) s:)
No Modifications.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "nafe"O.k.    I've considered refurbing (spoke to Pristine) but, as it'll cost £300, with no guarantees it'll last, I am very tempted to just replace them.
I used Pristine several years ago at great expense for some offroader alloys and they only lasted about 18months  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "nafe"I actually went to Pristine in Woburn Sands nr. Milton Keynes.
I haven't tried any places in Northampton so any recommendations would be great !   s:) :) s:)

Home in northampton this weekend, so ill ask around for you mate  s;) ;) s;)

nafe

Cheers guys !

To be honest, Pristine weren't very helpful at all. Almost like they couldn't be bothered.  s:( :( s:(  

Apparently Steven Eagell Toyota in MK had some problems with them before they stopped using them a few years ago.
No Modifications.

Tags: