Videos for the web?

Started by Chris, September 22, 2003, 21:15

Chris

Well, I've bought meself a firewire card and have tranferred the footage I took at the midlands meet, which leads me to conclude:

1) I'm a crap filmmaker
2) DV footage is huge - 4.5 minutes = 911mb!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
3) I'm gonna need a bigger hard disk!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I've cut some sections out, but even 15 secs is still 10mb!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Looks like you guys will have to wait while I'll have to work out how to make it smaller!!  Even though they are mpg's, I'm guessing that 720x576 @25fps is just too big for the web - I'll try at it's suggested web video res of 320x280

The other question is plates - normally for pics I would blank them, but can't do that on video, do other people do it? how?  Would anyone have any objections to me posting vids (if I can get them small enough!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"blank them, but can't do that on video

Your just not trying hard enough!  s;) ;) s;)

I don't mind...

Low res, lower quality (drop the bitrate), and perhaps even lower frame rate (don't forget to do the same for the sound too!) and you should end up with something reasonable.

Slacey

TBH Chris, I don't mind if my car is on there anywhere.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

im not fussed either.

Ive not had a problem saving videos and uploading them... just make sure they are not to big... 320x280 sounds pretty good... they dont need to be great quality either.. just good enough!   s:D :D s:D

Chris

Ok guys, check these out:

m http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/Vids.htm m

For some reason it didn't want to let me link to the vids individually, taking me to the btopenworld homepage instead...   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]
[/size]

Slacey

Nice, Chris, nice... now, let's talk about royalty rights....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

ahh, they look alright mate... might want to watch your bandwidth on your site though... not sure how much BT will let you have!   s:) :) s:)

Slacey

Quick observation after watching them all, my wheels look really dark on the films, yet when I take photo's of them they come out really light, almost looking silver. Experts explanation?

Humble Jim

Good stuff Chris.

I'm a total newbie too to this game myself. A week or so ago I bought myself a Sony TRV80E ahead of my holiday next month in New Zealand and have been playing a lot with the kit to try and get a bit competent with it. My AV mad neighbour gave me five tips:

1) Don't zoom in/out while filming
2) Don't pan while filming, let things pass by.
3) Ignore the first two tips very occasionally!   s:D :D s:D  
4) Never film a segment for less than 10 seconds (gives editing room + allows people to comprehend scene).
5) Film over every new DV tape first completely with the lens cap on to set a complete timeline onto it (otherwise rewinding to start of scenes can be painful).

My biggest fear is I'm going to have to get into Adobe Premiere to author up the hols onto DVD. Looks like a monster app from what I've seen of it but more useful than the noddy apps that came with my DVD writer   s:? :? s:?  .
H&S Exhaust

Chris

cheers for the tips!!  as you can tell, that was my first real filming of any kind!  I didn't know where all the buttons where and couldn't hold it still!!

Sean - i'm sure we can come to a royalty arrangement, your wheels maybe?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As for the wheels, maybe it's because I didn't have a flash going, and also standalone digi cameras seem to have a better res.
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"I've cut some sections out, but even 15 secs is still 10mb!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Looks like you guys will have to wait while I'll have to work out how to make it smaller!!  Even though they are mpg's, I'm guessing that 720x576 @25fps is just too big for the web - I'll try at it's suggested web video res of 320x280

As you've worked out, frame size and frame rate are the two main factors. Try reducing framerate to 15fps; much less and it starts to get "juddery", but any more is a waste for online use.

Also, try different compression formats. Windows Media is pretty good nowadays, or DivX. And bear in mind that smoother, less "dynamic" shots compress better, allowing the algorithms to concentrate on finer detail rather than just 'keeping up with the action'.

Humble Jim

Yes, the steadier the image the better. Though always promoted as a 'hand' thing I think a good tripod is a must-have accessory for a CamCorder. I have one left over from my regular camera days but I would have bought one if not. Tripod + spare battery are the first extra things I knew I needed to have with this thing. Wide lenses and filters etc. are optional extras further down the list.
H&S Exhaust

Chris

I've got a spare bigger capacity battery (the size of a house!!) and a 64mb memery stick on order, if they are ever in stock!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

My main use for this is going to be to film my track days, so the camera will be clamped to the windscreen and hopefully wobble won't be a problem   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"try different compression formats. Windows Media is pretty good nowadays, or DivX.

What he said. The MS based streaming media format (wmv) seems to be a very good compromise between quality and file size.

Humble Jim

Quote from: "Chris"...64mb memery stick on order, if they are ever in stock!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

You may or may not have heard of the online shop Picstop. I've used this place for bits and pieces like memory sticks etc.:

m http://www.picstop.co.uk m

Good prices IMO and I've hit none of the stock problems I found elsewhere.

The lot below are good in the editing needs area. They recently had a buy 10-get 2 free offer on mini DV tapes.

m http://www.sirentechnology.co.uk/ m
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

i use  m http://www.7dayshop.com m  for all my photography stuff... very good service.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"i use  m http://www.7dayshop.com m  for all my photography stuff... very good service.

Agreed; they also do lots of non-photo stuff, such as memory cards, and even DVDs and things now.

Tags: