TTE Turbo and exhaust smoke (should I be worried)

Started by Anonymous, April 2, 2006, 18:33

Anonymous

When I went to Mr T to have my 10k service done and said I have a turbo fitted the service manager said sorry that is your warranty voided ah no but after some explaining I got it sorted any way. Lucky you live so close to SP I would do the same but it would mean a 750 mile round trip.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Does anyone know if I do my own oil change does this mean my warranty is no longer valid ?

Anonymous

As long as you use Toyota specified oil (or similar), oil filter and follow their instructions, no.

Anonymous

I am using Mobil 1 0w-40 that TTE recomend and will get a oil filter from Mr T. I have read how to change the oil seam a reasonably simple job. i don't want to pay some Mr T muppet to do something I could do myself.

Anonymous

It's a piece of cake, and at least by doing it yourself you know it's been done right.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

may be worthwhile getting one of the oil drain valves that Marks got on his 2, cant remember where he got them but sure he'll post soon
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

kanujunkie

just ordered mine  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Gazz

Anybody used anything like this for doing an oil change ?
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Anonymous

I personally wouldn't trust it.

It looks amazingly cheap and tacky, and at least if you undo the bolt on the oilpan you know gravity will get it all out for you.

philster_d

the point is to get as much of the Sh$% as possible out of the engine, and even flush it through too.

I would wonder if I was leaving it behind with something like that.

kanujunkie

nope, just run the engine for 5 mins and put a oil drain can underneath, no nead for mess or expense
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Incidentally - I'm told that [some] new Mercs come sans any kind of drain plug.. Guess what the Special Service Tool is? (Granted, probably not that 'as seen on TV' special..)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "DavidM"Looks like I'm paranoid about my car having a problem   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
I've covered about 1300 miles since TTET fitted and have noticed that the oil level has reduced by about 1/8 inch from full and the coolant level seems lower as it's now only midway between the FULL and LOW lines although that could have been where it was from the start.
Whilst I have seen the oil level fall from full I'm now sure that it's caused by a small leak rather than the engine burning it. Where the Turbo Inlet Pipe (part no 2-2) is held to the cylinder head with the bracket (part no 12-4) and bolt (part no 2-6) I'm noticing a trace of clean looking oil on the base of the bolt. Yesterday I cleaned off the oil with a rag and after having covered nearly 400 the oil is back. There doesn't appear to be any dripping onto the garage floor so it's either very minor or only escapes under pressure.
Anyone any ideas?

Other than that the car is amazing  s:P :P s:P

bet your losing it past teh timing chain tensioner cover

personally I think 10w40 too thin with a turbo

I'm going to RTV around it when I put the car back together to prevent this
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"nope, just run the engine for 5 mins and put a oil drain can underneath, no nead for mess or expense

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Sorry.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  But I first read that as "run the engine for 5 mins while draining it".  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "DavidM"Looks like I'm paranoid about my car having a problem   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
I've covered about 1300 miles since TTET fitted and have noticed that the oil level has reduced by about 1/8 inch from full and the coolant level seems lower as it's now only midway between the FULL and LOW lines although that could have been where it was from the start.
Whilst I have seen the oil level fall from full I'm now sure that it's caused by a small leak rather than the engine burning it. Where the Turbo Inlet Pipe (part no 2-2) is held to the cylinder head with the bracket (part no 12-4) and bolt (part no 2-6) I'm noticing a trace of clean looking oil on the base of the bolt. Yesterday I cleaned off the oil with a rag and after having covered nearly 400 the oil is back. There doesn't appear to be any dripping onto the garage floor so it's either very minor or only escapes under pressure.
Anyone any ideas?

Other than that the car is amazing  s:P :P s:P

bet your losing it past the timing chain tensioner cover

personally I think 10w40 too thin with a turbo

I'm going to RTV around it when I put the car back together to prevent this

Mark, TTE recommend 0W-40 synthetic oil

markiii

I know, I don't happen to agree though

now granted you would expect them to know better than me, however originally they reccomended 10w60

so I wonder if 0W40 is an engineering or marketing decision
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I know, I don't happen to agree though

now granted you would expect them to know better than me, however originally they reccomended 10w60

so I wonder if 0W40 is an engineering or marketing decision

In the A5 12pp little booklet they give you after install the Service Data Sheet specifies engine oil as three different grades
0W-40
5W-50
5W-40
I'm going to ask SP why and whats the difference?

Tags: