MR2s and cycling

Started by Anonymous, April 3, 2006, 14:31

Anonymous

Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to get a bike carrier for the '2? I've got a Halfords carrier from a previous car that sits on the bumper and the boot but I'm not convinced about the load carrying abilities of the bumper on a '2.

I did wonder whether the threaded holes for the towing eye could be used with a couple of short lengths of roof bar to support a roof rack style bike carrier.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Thanks, but at $563 + P&P + import duty + VAT it would be cheaper to buy a new bike at the other end of the journey.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

i succesfully use the halfords "2bike carrier".

costs £35 from halfords, and I use the two towing eyes (managed to get a hold of a psare towing eyelet.

Anonymous

Ive got expensive taste, what can i say  :-) :-) :-)

spit

Classic Carriers do a basic rack with a bike add-on - about 390 Euros for both - still a bit pricey but decent stuff.

Clicky
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie"managed to get a hold of a psare towing eyelet.

for some reason I had FIVE in the bag with my jack when I bought my '2!!!!!     s:shock: :shock: s:shock:       s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

took em out and gained 0.2sec on 0-60!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   (i'm kidding about that bit!)

Anonymous

Quote from: spitClassic Carriers do a basic rack with a bike add-on - about 390 Euros for both - still a bit pricey but decent stuff.
[/img]

I think you'll find it's:

Carrier  e298.00
Accessory base e139.00
Bike carrier e92.25

Grand total e529.25 or £375

Great quality but even so   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

spit

Bum  s:? :? s:?  Hadn;t thought it through.....

Can you not get one of those foldy-up city bikes into the rear storage bins instead then?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Or - alternatively, what about an MR2 carrier for your bike ???

Anonymous

A search over at Spyderchat found this.
http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11297&highlight=bike+carrier

Just what I'm after.

philster_d

Just tie it on with a rope   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   i brought home my full 4 piece bodykit "taped onto the roof of the car   s:D :D s:D  

Oh yeah I have that rack for the boot too, its bling bling chrome. Still never actualy used it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   its on now tho ready for some engine bits on my way home.

Philster

Anonymous

classic carrier has a "new" bike holder that doesnt require the accessory base.

It still remains pricey, though (given that the new bike holder is a lot more expensive than th previous one)... i paid 500 euros for the carrier + the bike holder.
i ordered everything from them directly. and it took about 2 weeks to get it delivered.

Nicolas

Haslamr2

Quote from: "spit"Bum  s:? :? s:?  Hadn;t thought it through.....

Can you not get one of those foldy-up city bikes into the rear storage bins instead then?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s8) 8) s8)
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bledina"classic carrier has a "new" bike holder that doesnt require the accessory base.

It still remains pricey, though (given that the new bike holder is a lot more expensive than th previous one)... i paid 500 euros for the carrier + the bike holder.
i ordered everything from them directly. and it took about 2 weeks to get it delivered.

Nicolas

I like it!  Every picture I've seen of the classic carrier bike carrier shows the car with the roof down.  Does it work ok roof up too?  Is it easy enough to get the bike carieer on and off?

Thanks

David

Anonymous

I can have the top up or down, there's enough space to drop and raise the top.

here are some more pisc with my bike on it with the roof up

Anonymous

Thanks.  You've covered my next question too which was whether the carriers work ok with disk calipers which they seem to do from the photos - unlike my current Thule ones!

Thanks

David

Anonymous

Oh, my word.  I am in love with you all.  Sweaty, lycra-clad man-love.  I very nearly didn't buy another '2 for fear of not being able to carry my bike(s), but I needn't have worried!

filcee

Save the money and just ride to wherever you're going and back again ...  s:-D :-D s:-D
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

dipper84

My solution>>>>>>>

I had 2 bars machined for me with the same thread as the towing eye, bough 2 standard thule bike racks which fit striaght on the bar. I always tie the bikes to the brackets where my hard top fits into, It gives a much stonger set up and takes alot of weight off the bars. (if the rack should ever fail, the bikes will just drag behind the car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aylward84/4972452318/

I shall get a close up picture shortly.....
Chris >>>>>

Thudd

Looks like a recipe for terminal understeer, a wandery nose, and horrible pendulum effect in the corners. Just like a 911  s:D :D s:D

I saw an MR2 roadster with *2* bikes on the back rack nr Keswick a couple of weekends ago. Shark-fin style.

Anonymous

I've been using the cheapo Halfrauds rear-mounting bike rack on my '2.  I was a bit worried about the foam on the bike rack, so I covered it with bits of an ironing board cover (as I reckoned it'd be quite heat-resistant).

It's not pretty, but it does the trick.

dipper84

To be honest I dont drive too fast with the touring kit on anyway. You do notice that the car handles 'differently' but not that is causes any problems or potential situations to cause an accident.

I just love showing people the image of it when they laugh and joke 'your car is so impractical!' they soon shut up. Being an engineer I just think outside the box........
Chris >>>>>

Gif

Quote from: "dipper84"but not that is causes any problems or potential situations to cause an accident.
Except failure to display a number plate and rear lights makes it completely illegal   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Did you build in facility for a trailer board and electrics by any chance?  Serious question as I have bikes too.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

Anonymous

Oh dear, as it looks, great solution, but epic fail regarding legislation.

Tags: