MR2 vs Boxster

Started by Anonymous, September 27, 2003, 23:26

Anonymous

I found this article and I thought it might be of some interest.  Not sure how true it is since it comes from Toyota...

Apologies if you've seen it before.

m http://members.tripod.com/celsmr2/MR2%2 ... OXSTER.htm m

Anonymous

Everyone round here drives a Boxster S.  Still impressive though.

Anonymous

Nice facts n figures      s:D :D s:D  

Would like to see the same tests with a Turbo 2 & a Boxster S  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Well I dont care what the figures say,

Went up against a boxter the other day over about 5 mile stretch of open dual carriage way., and if I was in the boxter I would have laughed at the 2's attempt of over taking.  He pissed all over me. I still love my 2 though.

Not sure what type of boxter it was but when he put his foot down the backend sort of opened to let more air into the engine. Was well impressed. But he didn't loose me like he would a normal car. Was sat right behind him at the next lights. I did have a very fat m8 sitting next to me. That's my excuse.
(",)
 <!>
 ./!.
Fluff

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"Not sure what type of boxter it was but when he put his foot down the backend sort of opened to let more air into the engine.

You mean the spoiler poped up? Boxters & 911's have popup spoilers on the rear of the car (the latter looks the best, the former looks like a cheap bit of plastic!). Means he was going over a set speed, say 60mph (cant recall exactly what it is on the boxter).

markiii

you sure that wasn't the spoiler deploying at 50?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"That's my excuse.

I think you mean the spoiler.  The only Boxster thats ever got away from me was the high powered S and H4S's S went like a train, but on the back roads i've never felt like buying the MR2 over the Boxster was a mistake.

Anonymous

We are back to the old argument that there are many cars that eat the 2 on the main straights, but few that will come close in the twisties.

Fair play to you for keeping on his tail, but had it been a nice country twistie, then who knows eh. I have heard several reports that the 2 will match a "standard" boxtster...anything up to the S one.

Anonymous

I think a lot of it is still down to the driver and if they are actually wanting a 'race'. I mean, if you are behind a proker and you drop a few gears and floor it, if they are not expecting you to have a go at them then you will fly past them - on the other hand if they see you coming up behind them and decide to floor it, you have to play catchup...

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think a lot of it is still down to the driver and if they are actually wanting a 'race'. I mean, if you are behind a proker and you drop a few gears and floor it, if they are not expecting you to have a go at them then you will fly past them - on the other hand if they see you coming up behind them and decide to floor it, you have to play catchup...

Agree with Kris here, many's the time I've been driving enthusiastically on my daily commute to work to make it a little more entertaining  s8) 8) s8) .. people are cheerfully moving out of my way most of the time - and then an Audi S3/Boxster/S2000 sees me coming and leaves me absolutely for dead on the next roundabout and up the motorway sliproad.. respect due!

95% of the time if you're pushing on in the '2, you're going to be one of the fastest cars on the twisties or the straights... the other times you've just got to conceed gracefully that you haven't got the horsepower to stand a chance!

Tim

Anonymous

Simple fact is, Porker does the 0-60 dash in less than 6 secs. We do it in around 7. The Porker has probably got another half more torque than we have and that much little bit power, for not that much of a weight deficiency. The physics and maths tell it all. The Porker is faster. no doubt and if anyone can in their 2' can keep up with it, then they are running a very modded 2'!!!

Now, stick it on the twisties and that is a different matter........

I get eaten alive by ANY Porker that I am behind when they decide they want to go. No matter how quickly I react........

Anonymous

When I was test driving the MR2, about a year ago, I had a similar situation with a Ruf (he smoked me).

Mind you, my test car was black while the Porsche was silver.  That might explain it...

Anonymous

Don't think it was standard boxter as it had twin exhaust, most ive seen just have crap round thing in the middle. My MR2 on the last rolling road test was pushing out 187 BHP. Are you guys sure its a spoiler cos about 50 it opened half way, 70 it was open wider, after that couldn't realy see his cos he was gone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"Don't think it was standard boxter as it had twin exhaust, most ive seen just have crap round thing in the middle. My MR2 on the last rolling road test was pushing out 187 BHP. Are you guys sure its a spoiler cos about 50 it opened half way, 70 it was open wider, after that couldn't realy see his cos he was gone.

If it had a twin exhaust in the middle, it was a Boxster S.  However, judging by your description, it sounds like a 911 Cabrio...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"My MR2 on the last rolling road test was pushing out 187 BHP.

I would put it down to driver then - sorry mate!

Anonymous

Ooohhhh harsh Kris!!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The Porker would still probably have had you Fluff. They are pushing out 240+bhp if it is the S. More than makes up for the weight deficit.....

Anonymous

sorry, someone had to say it!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If it was the boxter S, then they are nearly as good as the 911's, so fair enough... but surely a lightweight '2 with 190bhp on tap (not far off martins turbo's spec) shoudl have not had too much trouble with the porker.

Anonymous

Probably is my driving m8, come to think of it though it might not of been a boxter it looked more sporty. Boxters kind of look conservative. And i only seen it from behind (LOL) Going rallying next week so hopefully that might inprove my driving. And I said that after 70mph he was gone cos that is the speed limit. Up till then I could smell his fuel being burnt. LOL

Fluff "L" Monster

"L" for learner driver

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"Don't think it was standard boxter as it had twin exhaust, most ive seen just have crap round thing in the middle. My MR2 on the last rolling road test was pushing out 187 BHP. Are you guys sure its a spoiler cos about 50 it opened half way, 70 it was open wider, after that couldn't realy see his cos he was gone.

er.... you MR2 is putting out 187!?  At the wheels?!  What have you done to it?

And its a spolier.  100%

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"Probably is my driving m8, come to think of it though it might not of been a boxter it looked more sporty. Boxters kind of look conservative. And i only seen it from behind (LOL) Going rallying next week so hopefully that might inprove my driving. And I said that after 70mph he was gone cos that is the speed limit. Up till then I could smell his fuel being burnt. LOL

Fluff "L" Monster

"L" for learner driver

Good lad - taken my comment the way it was intended!   s:D :D s:D  

Put it this way, if it had a spoiler like this (  m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/rocstuff/PORSCHE1.AVI m  please do right-click, save target as...) then it was a 911 and not a boxter.

Anonymous

WHAT?  A Porsche ad?  What's next; free insurance with every Modena 360?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"WHAT?  A Porsche ad?  What's next; free insurance with every Modena 360?

LOL! i have 3 more (not on my web server though). They are quite old.

Anonymous

Not sure really got it all written down somewhere, don't care how or what makes em faster. My m8 works in a tuning place a few miles from me, when I got the car I gave it to him and said do what you can without the NOS or turbo (as im 23 and the insurance would have killed me) to make it faster as I was fed up with my m8s Clio 172 pissing on me. Spent about £1300 on parts labour was free. Happy with the result

Fluff

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fluff Monster"Are you guys sure its a spoiler cos about 50 it opened half way, 70 it was open wider, after that couldn't realy see his cos he was gone.

I think the boxter have an oil cooler which pops up at the back. Might of been that.

juansolo

Boxsters have a (very ugly) lip spoiler that pops up at the back to help reduce rear end lift at high speeds.  Very similar to the fixed one that was retro-fitted to the TT in looks and function.

Some 911's (mostly air cooled 993's and earlier) have a whole section of the engine cover that raises at speed, partly for aerodynamic effect but mostly to get more air to the engine.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: