"TEFLON" polish

Started by MR2Blue, September 29, 2003, 19:48

MR2Blue

Has anyone tried a bodywork polish called TEFLON, I was given a small sachet of it, I tried it on the bonnet and thought it was quite good, I saw it in HALFORDS the other day for £9.99, what do you all reckon  s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

Never heard of it (as a brand of polish), generally stick to Autoglym. Always interested in new stuff though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

yeah have heard of it but i havent used it i normally make up my own by mixing loads of different one's together

Oh but dont forget the babby oil !   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "MR2Blue"Has anyone tried a bodywork polish called TEFLON

Is this the stuff.....

Made by Holts.

There is an increasing number of polishes that now contain Teflon, though it suprises me that there is now a polish called Teflon.

I started looking at Teflon years ago after looking at a non-stick pan and thinking if it would be possible to put the material onto my car.

But I am shocked that they can get away with the label just saying Teflon as Teflon is a registered trademark of DuPont.

m http://www.dupont.com/teflon/newsroom/history.html m

Anonymous

You've probably heard this but: if Teflon is non stick how do you get it to stick on frying pans and now cars   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

How will you know if the Teflon is effective   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cartell"You've probably heard this but: if Teflon is non stick how do you get it to stick on frying pans and now cars   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

How will you know if the Teflon is effective   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Anonymous

Basically, I beleive the Teflon substance is an Epoxy polymer that can be applied quite easily. It bonds to a surface, and can only be removed by using very hot metal surface with a small electrical charge.

However, to bond the ploymer to the surface requires a heat change of 350 degrees F

I found this if you're REALLY interested  :-) :-) :-)

http://www.intechservices.com/coating_overview.htm

Anonymous

Yes, I'm interseted, especially after your link. It does'nt say anything about Teflon being introduced into polish or like. So, how do we know if Teflon is working   s:?: :?: s:?:  . It keeps refering to: applying with heat, very hot, sandblasting, spraying etc. So how can applying to a cold surface make it stick, just by hand application.   s:? :? s:?     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

At a guess I'd say that the name "Teflon" on the polish, is just a misleading name, and that there's no real Teflon™ in the polish.  And if there is, I'd guess it does nothing of any real use.

Anonymous

That would be my guess too. MR2blue, what does it say on container   s:?: :?: s:?:  
Does it state Teflon protection or similar.   s:? :? s:?

Hope4Sun

Quote from: "Slacey"Never heard of it (as a brand of polish), generally stick to Autoglym. Always interested in new stuff though.

Always been an Autoglym man myself too, then i tried out Zymol, if you get the chance get the one of the starter kits from there site, or failing that just a tub of wax (most likely the carbon one) and some of the HD cleanser, ya think ya paint is clean until you try this stuff   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   (smells fantastic too   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) I've eneded up with the most of there stuff now, worth the investment in both time and money though IMHO

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

MR2Blue

For cartell.

It states on the back of the bottle "TEFLON" car polish and body treatment by Simoniz, Teflon car protection system has been developed to provide the treated parts of your car with a unique stain repellent and water resistant coating.
As with other products enhanced with Teflon, this protection is based on many years of research by DuPont into non-stick surface technology.
Teflon car polish and body treatment leaves an invisible barrier on the car paintwork to ensure a long lasting "Showroom shine" that repels traffic film, a complex mixture of water, rubber, oil and mud.
This makes your vehicle easier to clean and more resistant to degradation, Teflon car polish and body treatment will not mark plastic trim and rubber.    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks MR2blue, let me know if it really does give a better shine and repels all kinds of sh*t, or are they playing on your physiological side.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "cartell"Yes, I'm interseted, especially after your link. It does'nt say anything about Teflon being introduced into polish or like. So, how do we know if Teflon is working   s:?: :?: s:?:  . It keeps refering to: applying with heat, very hot, sandblasting, spraying etc. So how can applying to a cold surface make it stick, just by hand application.   s:? :? s:?     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Easy. Metal won't stick to brick. You have to introduce something else (eg No More Nails) and Roberts your mothers brother.

I believe that Teflon polish will be along the same route. Basically the Teflon will be pre-bonded to the polish and the polish bonds to the car. In effect you are gluing Teflon to your car.

And that's why you need to re-apply it. Initially the Teflon resists most things and your car stays clean, but over time the "glue" will break down.

The best way would be to bake pure Teflon direct onto the painwork. But that would put companies out of business if you never needed to polish your car.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cartell"or are they playing on your physiological side.
Psychological maybe?

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

MR2Blue

I bought some "TEFLON" polish and tried it today, I did a wing with AUTOGLYM and a door with TEFLON to compare and IMHO TEFLON is as good as AUTOGLYM, they both give a good shine to the paintwork.

The only thing I noticed when using the TEFLON was that the consistency is more watery than AUTOGLYM, so easier to use.

As for all the other benefits TEFLON promises, I don't know only time will tell.   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

You need to do a comparison test. I know come round and polish my car, and before you say it, yes primer will polish.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

MR2Blue, if possible, you should do one side of front hood with Autoglym and the other with that TEFLON-thingy. That way they both reflect the same way and both have to suffer the same abuse. Then check the difference after the job and 2 weeks and 4 weeks from it  s:) :) s:)

Waxing a door and a spoiler makes them really hard to compare  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"Waxing a door and a spoiler makes them really hard to compare  s:) :) s:)
I think when he said 'wing' in the post further up, he meant the panel surrounding the front wheel   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

MR2Blue

Good idea Tem, I'll do that over the weekend.   s:D :D s:D  I'll let you know how it went in a couple of weeks.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"I think when he said 'wing' in the post further up, he meant the panel surrounding the front wheel   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ohhhh...you call that a wing??

I still think the hood is the easiest, at least I learned to like it  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Ohhhh...you call that a wing??

You think that's weird?  The luggage area is called "the boot".

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"You think that's weird?  The luggage area is called "the boot".

Body parts are wings, boot is in the front and drivers side is a passenger side...I think I got it now  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spyderman

I know lots of people who have done that to their cars with very positive comments.

There is evn a treatment for the interior with positive results too
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

Tags: