Is this irresponsible driving?

Started by spit, April 26, 2006, 23:29

aaronjb

Quote from: "red_leicester"I was driving up the M1 for an hour or so on Sunday, early afternoon.  We all know about middle-lane hoggers who, for some reason, sit there mile after mile when there is nothing in the inside lane.

Simple answer to this - make it legal to overtake on either side, a'la the US (if memory serves, at any rate).

Actually, one Police fella on IMOC did comment that you'd be unlikely to be pulled for undertaking if the middle lane is totally clear and you simply go past them and stay in the middle lane.

You are likely to get pulled, however, if you are undertaking then pulling back out because neither lane is clear (essentially weaving through traffic).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm with you on this, the M25 is up to 5 lanes around heathrow and quite often when i come through there you can sit in either the inside or lane 2 whilst the outside lane is chocca block, its getting ridiculous, where do these people learn to drive? theres only one driving lane on a motorway, unless the laws suddenly changed

Your telling me, I cant believe lane 4 is the new middle lane where people just potter allong reagardless.

Europe was incredible, the exact opposite, EVERYONE pulls in for you there. long before you catch them. Such an unbelievable difference.

Phil

Anonymous

Ah we all get this sort of thing - comes with owning a nice looking sporty car.
It will only get worse in the summer.

If it's a similar spec car or obviously an enthusiast then I don't mind some good natured competition where it's safe, fun and not effecting any other drivers.
I've got no time for nobs in vans and rep mobils who are out to prove something - just wave them on by, not worth the petrol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"Europe was incredible, the exact opposite, EVERYONE pulls in for you there. long before you catch them. Such an unbelievable difference.

Phil

agree on that one, took the '2 over to cologne a week after buying it and I couldn't believe how their driving attitudes are so completely opposite to here in the UK! made me realise just how uptight and stressed out our drivers are! If only people could realise that there are more important things to worry about!

rmowbray

Ste,

Just try not to let them get to you. I know it's easier to say than do sometimes. You're not resposible for the inferiority complexes of these people who feel that driving is one big competition and they have to prove themselves against everyone else on the road. Every day on the way to work I set off thinking "I'm not going to let anyone wind me up, I'm going to have a nice relaxing drive." Then someone will do something stupid or try to goad me, I used to rise to it but these days I try not to (mostly successfully). There's no point in these people trying to prove they're fastest, because there's always someone who's quicker. Have you noticed how owners of Lambo's & Ferrari's generally tend to sit in the inside lane on motorways: they have nothing to prove! Anyway my point is you've got nothing to prove to these people so head for the moral high ground and just ignore them whenever possible.

Sometimes people mistake quick driving for aggressive driving. I'm really not an agressive driver at all, but I love the feel of acceleration and good handling.  s8) 8) s8)

ninjinski

Quote from: "rmowbray"....Have you noticed how owners of Lambo's & Ferrari's generally tend to sit in the inside lane on motorways: they have nothing to prove! ...

Thats a bloody good observation, you are so right!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Quote from: "rmowbray"....Have you noticed how owners of Lambo's & Ferrari's generally tend to sit in the inside lane on motorways: they have nothing to prove! ...

That said i did witness an aston vanquish totally spanked by a toyota supra the other day.  supra at the lights giving it revs, aston looks over ... with a look of dont be silly ... aston takes off from the lights to prove the point and sees nothing except the back of the supra .... in fairness the supra must have been puting down a few horses though !

spit

Good point Richard - shame my car looks pretty bog-standard though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I'm sure that contributes to these muppets wanting to cut me up.

Thanks for all of your advice and observations people. I guess I was just feeling a little sensitive this week - a lot of uncertainty over the future is clouding my brain a bit at the moment  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

"not worth the petrol" is a lovely way of looking at it simonp - and I'll try to bear that in mind.

On a more positive note, its Barcelona or bust for me soon - the grand C2 (old stylee) reunion with Alberto - so I'm looking forward to some mainland Europe driving courtesy (you guys are so right, its a joy).

But I will be witness to some really quick driving while I'm over there - F1 at Catalunia   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  I'll get some pics for you all.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Call me immature but Ste, you owe these people a demonstration of your superior firepower! It's not your fault that they want to take you on. I say that you blow them away and have some fun  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

I had a guy in a new 3 series 330i behind me yesterday - when the road cleared I gunned it. Obviously he kept up with me on the straight - fair enough, so I thought I'd see how well he kept up through bends. I carried big speed into a sweeping right hander, which dropped him back a few hundred metres. I felt I'd proved my point and couldn't be bothered playing anymore when we got to a stretch of dual carriage way. It always amazes me how many people with fast cars throw down the gauntlet for a little play but seem only to possess the ability to plant the throttle  s:? :? s:?   I had just had my TTE springs fitted though  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Of course we do get the flip side of the coin - I had a tussle with a prat in an MX5 who decided that coming off the M1 he was not having (obviously what he thought was my Cupra R) get past him.  There is a nice long two lane bit approching some traffic lights and he went in the right overtaking lane when the lights went to red.  The lights changed and he sat there letting a couple of lorries undertake him.

So I beebed and flashed and he drove off like a granny, sorry at this point I have had enough, nothing oncoming so I blatted round him and the undertaking lorries.

Only to have prat in MX5 then sit on my lardy Leon ass (at this point I am sure he is not so impressed to see that I actually have a Cupra TDi FR).  So I soot him and leave him standing, thinking this will be enough.  Oh no prat boy decides twice more to sit on my ass.  I am doing 60 in a 60 but he makes no attempt to pass, so twice more I soot him (he must be covered in my diesel now).

This goes on for 4 miles towards my house before he has to turn off flashing me as he does.

Ok so he has a "super car" in his eyes and he initially felt I had a hot hatch and was obviously gutted to be taken by a diesel, but I like Liz was very tempted to just jam on the brakes and let him sit in my boot.

Quite funny though, I normally get Audi and BMW's treat me with contempt in mine.

Anonymous

I had all sorts racing me but mostly TTs and Minis!  

The most dangerous was about a week ago when a f***ing idiot in an M3 almost crashed - twice.  I have a certain opinion about BMW drivers and this guy just enhanced it.

The best one was against a blonde in a modded Megane Coupe and on an empty road.  She was an awesome driver and we both had fun; probably because it was perfectly safe being silly at that time.

aaronjb

Quote from: "RUSTY"I had a guy in a new 3 series 330i behind me yesterday - when the road cleared I gunned it.

I had a bloke in a 316i sat right on my back end the other day - I was already doing slightly over 40 in a 40 limit, he obviously wanted to go faster seeing as he was practically pushing me along..

So we get to a big roundabout - right lane is for Thorpe Park only, but he uses that to get past me and a white van that we've caught up with anyway..

So I stay in the left lane, overtake the white van in the 50yds of two-lane exit to the roundabout, and find Mr 316i pootling along now we're in national limit!

He floored it when the road became dual carriageway and pulled out into the outside lane - I didn't stay behind him for long   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Man those 316's are slugs!

Still need more power, though  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Two's Company

Quote from: "RUSTY"I had just had my TTE springs fitted though  s:D :D s:D

[Off Topic]Where did you get them from Russ? Can I ask how much and is it worth it?   s:D :D s:D

spit

Back on topic (gonna get tough with you soon Steve   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).....

.....Thanks to your posts I'm back on track with a more comfortable mindset.

Still a little concerned that I'm encouraging vulnerable young male drivers (mostly) to drive beyond their car's limits. But I'm less inclined to let it get to me now. That has probably affected my own driving style to reduce the false signals that I'm putting out to these muppets.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

philster_d

OK heres my new advice.....

Top down, Stereo up, Catch the rays and cruise .....  !!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"
Quote from: "RUSTY"I had just had my TTE springs fitted though  s:D :D s:D

[Off Topic]Where did you get them from Russ? Can I ask how much and is it worth it?   s:D :D s:D

Check this: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11260

I'll post some pics in that thread when it stops raining.

Haslamr2

I've only had mine five minutes and I know how you're feeling! It's a pain in the ass!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

...never had any idiots trying to race me when I had the vectra...can't think why.
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

philster_d

its funny I rarely if ever notice anyone trying to race me

Silverman

This is an interesting thread which slowed up and stopped for the summer.  I have experienced some mildly challenging manoeuvres since I began driving the 2 in June 06, not least from the bigger pokey saloons driven by well shod (you know what I mean) 40 onwards year olds.

That said, two more significant events come to mind. I was once on a wide two lane A road (probably built as one of those dreadful 2 lanes downbound and one lane upbound - now all change, crash, etc., etc), in a stream of traffic, when I noticed a smallish white van in the mirrors, overtaking my side at high speed.  As he approached my 2, he swerved left to give me a very close pass.  Shortly afterwards a police car swept past, with everything going, and a couple of miles further on I saw the van driver out of his vehicle giving two policemen a very good listening to!

This weekend I was on the M54 near Wolverhampton, cruising along at 2800rpm in 6th gear, nearside lane, when I noticed two pretty smart 4 X 4's approaching from behind, one in each lane.  The one directly behind me might have been an X5 and the one in the other lane a Range Rover perhaps.  They were racing, the one behind me undertook the other, got past when pretty close to my frail craft,  before swinging right to, thankfully,  get past me.  So, I think this thread raises some valid points.  Well done.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

enid_b

a good thread to ressurect, expecially with the oncoming greasy road season.

cant really say i have had any idiots trying to tease me.  in fairness i drive like miss daisy on the motorways and built up areas.  its a tough call when people challenge you and try to force you into making driving decisions that you would not normally consider.

my outlook is simple, if some goomer wants to pass me then they can, i drive very defensively and would encourage you all to do the same.

however, on the twisties, i do become a bit of a loony some time, again staying well within the limits of the car (ive never got the back end out, or had the front end go straight on (touching huge pieces of wood so's not to tempt fate)) and found myself down in wales having a little tickle with an evo.  

this boy's car was fast, but he was a boy.  he knew the roads too, which was very apparent, whereas i had never been down this section before.  It all got quite challenging, and i was driving at 90%.  However, it got to the point where i thought i was getting a little silly, i didnt want to push him too far, nor did i want to extend myself, so without obviously giving up on the thing and losing face i took the following action.  There was a fork in the road, and i simply turned off, whilst travelling at a good lick, and acknowledged him.

I think my point is this,

Dont allow yourself to be drawn into a situation that you are not happy with.  Know your own limits, and that of your vehicle.  It is easier to avoid getting into a situation rather than trying to get out of one when the red mist is down.  Once the red mist is over you, it can only normally end in tears.  

Spit's point of feeling responsible for enitcing people is a fair one.  Sadly some folk are jealous of us, and seem to have to prove that their danglies are made from steel.  I would advise that we dont give off the 'race me' signals unless it is at the appropriate place, and time.  

If i had carried on with the evo and something had happened to him, i would have felt awful.  indeed, even if i had not had any physical involvement in an accident with him the wording of the law may have meant that i was still involved/responsible.

Definition of an RTC (accident).

Owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road, an accident occurs by.........  

so by being there, you are involved.

Drive safe, be safe, enjoy the car.

Lecture over?

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tags: