Winter Tyres

Started by Anonymous, September 30, 2003, 20:41

Anonymous

Well, winter is on the way and my tyres have got another month or so before they are dead.  Since we live up a hill where the council forget to grit I thought some wintery tyres might be a good idea.  Anyone had any or know anything about them.  Couldn't find any on mytyres.net for an '03   s:( :( s:(  

Ta,
J

Anonymous

For an 03 i think we may be pretty screwed!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I think it was Darth Paul that mentioned the make he used on here - yeah, here is the post... see if this helps at all.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=904 m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimbob"Well, winter is on the way and my tyres have got another month or so before they are dead.  Since we live up a hill where the council forget to grit I thought some wintery tyres might be a good idea.  Anyone had any or know anything about them.  Couldn't find any on mytyres.net for an '03   s:( :( s:(  

Ta,
J

I have a set of winter tires. My local Toyota dealer wanted to sell me Dunlop tires, but when I used the Dunlop tire selector on their web site, the MR2 MK3 came up as no suitable tires. Those recommended by Toyota were for the MR2 Mk2, so after looking around and reading reports from various motoring organizations, I chose Pirelli Snow Sports. The price was ok at EUR 450 for the set. I had them mounted on the original rims.

Anonymous

Ta.  That was what inspired me really.  What I didn't know was how bad winter tyres are when it's not wintery and how good when it is like icy/snow stuff.  Can tyres make any difference on ice? Woudn't have thought so but what do I know? Mmm

J

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimbob"Ta.  That was what inspired me really.  What I didn't know was how bad winter tyres are when it's not wintery and how good when it is like icy/snow stuff.  Can tyres make any difference on ice? Woudn't have thought so but what do I know? Mmm

J

On ice only studs, spikes or chains are any use really. But in the snow, slush and rain winter tyres work a lot better than summer tyres or so called "all year" tyres.

The main difference is the rubber compound. Winter tyres are softer. This means that at low temperatures, typically below 5 - 7 C, they retain their traction. This aids braking. I wouldn't drive my MR2 in winter without them.

If you look on tyre makers web sites you will find lots of info.

Anonymous

You could make your life easier if you change wheels as opposed to just tyres.

That way, it will be easier to find sizes and it will, most certainly,  be a lot easier to change them back when the winter is over since winter tyres will most certainly last longer than one winter.

In terms of cost, it might not be that much more expensive as most shops offer free tyres with new alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"You could make your life easier if you change wheels as opposed to just tyres.

That way, it will be easier to find sizes and it will, most certainly,  be a lot easier to change them back when the winter is over since winter tyres will most certainly last longer than one winter.

In terms of cost, it might not be that much more expensive as most shops offer free tyres with new alloys.

Exactly what I did. The original rims have the winter tyres, the summer tyres are on borbet rims.

Tem

Over here Nokia Hakkapeliitta 4 has been winning every test they have been in...seems like THE choice, if you want the best.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Over here Nokia Hakkapeliitta 4 has been winning every test they have been in...seems like THE choice, if you want the best.

Do they send SMS and MMS as well. How about othe extras, camera, ring tones mp3 player etc   s:?: :?: s:?:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "victor"Do they send SMS and MMS as well. How about othe extras, camera, ring tones mp3 player etc   s:?: :?: s:?:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh btw, did you know that these two made Nokia popular back in the time  s;) ;) s;)
Item1
Item2

Anonymous

Tem is right; the Nokian do tend to get rave winter tyre reviews, although most people know them for their bike tyres.

Not sure about sizes but if you go down the whole wheel route, you won't have a problem.

You can get them in the UK from these places:

Tyreco Trading Ltd.
Unit 7, Hackhurst Lane
Hackhurst Industrial Estate
Lower Dicker
Nr Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 4BR
UK
Phone 44 (0)1323 844600
Fax 44 (0)1323 844125
email:  e mailto:tyreco@talk21.com">tyreco@talk21.com e

Nordic Tyres (UK) Ltd
76-78 Trinity Road
Edinburgh EH5 3JU
Scotland, UK
Phone 44 (0)131 477 9389
Fax 44 (0)131 477 9390

William Clark & Son Ltd
Parkgate,Dumfries,DG1 3NB
Scotland, UK
Phone 44 (0)1387 860241
Fax 44 (0)1387 860370

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Nokian do tend to get rave winter tyre reviews

If you get them, make sure you get the new Hakkapeliitta 4. They kinda reset the standards for a good winter tyre, the older models Hakka 2 and Hakka Q look really awful compared to 4. (even if the older models are still pretty good compared to other makes)

Chris

Quote from: "victor"The main difference is the rubber compound. Winter tyres are softer. This means that at low temperatures, typically below 5 - 7 C, they retain their traction.

Could you get a similar effect by lowering the psi a notch?
my thought being lower pressure = bigger surface area, more able to flex
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "victor"The main difference is the rubber compound. Winter tyres are softer. This means that at low temperatures, typically below 5 - 7 C, they retain their traction.

Could you get a similar effect by lowering the psi a notch?
my thought being lower pressure = bigger surface area, more able to flex

No not at all.

Take a look at some of the manufacturers web sties and read up about the differences. There are a lot of saftey reasons to get them.

also bigger surface area = more aquaplanning, less grip. Winter tyres are quite narrow normally. I guess Tem is also in a good position to advise, being in Santa's homeland, although a bit far south!

Chris

ok, furry muff
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Darth Paul

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"For an 03 i think we may be pretty screwed!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I think it was Darth Paul that mentioned the make he used on here - yeah, here is the post... see if this helps at all.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=904 m

Yeah, my tyres are pretty good – certainly impressed me last year. The tread has slits – sines – in the blocks which open up under pressure, thus increasing the amount of suface area of the blocks and so increase grip. The rubber (IIRC) is also impregnated with something which is released into the snow, increasing grip. This actually gives the tyres a 'sparkly' look.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Very pretty.

I tried to get some Nokian Happa Q's last year, but couldn't get hold of any. They are designed for 'serious' snow.

DP

Tem

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I tried to get some Nokian Happa Q's last year, but couldn't get hold of any. They are designed for 'serious' snow.

TBH, the Hakka Q's are designed for "weeks winter"...which is pretty much what southern Finland gets during winter, considering the roads. They have good grip on fresh snow, but are kinda useless on ice and hardened snow...their biggest pro is that they do just find on dry roads, which we have most of the time, thanks to constant salting  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  Actually most ppl buy a set for winter and keep driving on them till next winter, when they buy a new set, they do just fine on summer as well.

Hakka 4's (and the previous 1&2) are designed for "real winter" and offer great grip even on ice...but have no grip on dry roads (and they are noisy as hell on dry roads).

Tags: