Bike rack for MR2 - with Pictures

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 16:20

Anonymous

Cost £35.99 from Halfords, 2 bike carrier. Ideal for those cyclists amongst us. Click on the link below for enlargeable pictures

m http://www.richie323.plus.com/mr2/carrier/ m

Richie

GSB

Nice bike...

I have one of those racks too. I use it on my Peugeot, which is consequently full of dents and scratches. There's no way on Earth I'd strap it to the back of my MR2...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Nice; I have a Gary Fisher downhiller  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Nice bike...

Cheers, just got it last week, trying to get into some downhill stuff.

QuoteI have one of those racks too. I use it on my Peugeot, which is consequently full of dents and scratches. There's no way on Earth I'd strap it to the back of my MR2...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I've got the rack absolutely solid to the car, with the front straps looped round the engines rear cross members for support and the bottom supports fixed to the 2 tow hook points on the back. This keeps the rack pretty damn solid / stable and even after a few test runs. Theres no way my bike could foul the car from the way I've mounted it, even if it were to come a bit loose.

QuoteNice; I have a Gary Fisher downhiller

Nice choice mate!

Richie.

evileye_wrx

I totally screwed the back end of my last 206 putting bike racks on it. Major scuffing to paintwork and I really gouged the roof with the handlebars. I know use a shed load of bungees and straps to make sure nothing can move.

If your getting into Downhilling you've got to get up to Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders. I was there a fortnight ago and couldn't do the downhill cos they were filming some professional thingy. I'm told it is extreme and gnarly and sick, or whatever terms the Wolrd of X-Sports is using to describe things atm. There is also Glen Cress which is just up the road and slightly more sedate.

Anyway if you do decide to go, gimme a shout and I'll come too.

Scottish Borders Mini-Meet/ D/H Competition anyone?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

hehe sounds good mate. I've been to glentress a couple of times and intend to go to innerleithen some time soon too. a few of my mates have been and stick by it.

I'm hoping to get a trip to glentress a week on sunday, if I can get some free time   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Richie.

evileye_wrx

Glen tress, thats what I meant, not Cress. Funny accents up that way esp when beered up!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I cycled passed there on the way to Edinburgh.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Glen tress, thats what I meant, not Cress. Funny accents up that way esp when beered up!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

do remember that the back end of the cars only plastic and will crack really quickly if you keep putting that on the back, its a really really bad idea to do that. Listen to grants words on this or you could end up with a big bill  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"do remember that the back end of the cars only plastic and will crack really quickly if you keep putting that on the back, its a really really bad idea to do that. Listen to grants words on this or you could end up with a big bill  s:? :? s:?

yeah, I've also got a rear mount bumper supported carrier from halfords, not exactly the same as yours, but very similar, i've simply not had the guts to put all that weight on our back bumper...

let me know how you get on!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

filcee

Glentress - highly recommended.  Had a cracking evening out there last week, including finishing up in the dark with borrowed bike lamps that would seriously embarass a rally car!  

And also Carron Valley (about an hour out of Edinburgh) - especially the Fun Park at the end of the loop near the car park.  Seriously cheesed off the regular riders from work by showing them how to clear the doubles on only my second run through (on a borrowed bike too).  They've been going up there for over a year now, and only managed to get it figured out on our ride on Tuesday evening.

The only worrying thing is that this is the only reason it's worthwhile going up to Scotland to work.  Oh well, I suppose I have to get something out of it!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

GSB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"do remember that the back end of the cars only plastic and will crack really quickly if you keep putting that on the back, its a really really bad idea to do that. Listen to grants words on this or you could end up with a big bill  s:? :? s:?

I hadn't even considered that aspect...

Guess what super strong structural delights there are behind that part of the bumper.... Go on, guess...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

None whatsoever.... In fact the plastic part isnt actually the bumper. It has absolutley no strength in it at all. Its held on with a handful of plastic fasteners (like the ones under the frunk), and 4 little bolts that secure it to the wheelarches and to the bodywork either side of the lights...

The real impact resisting strength of the rear of the car is tucked behind the bumper, and is in the form of a lump of steel box.

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

kanujunkie

shame spyderchat is still down, one of the guys over there took 2 tow hooks, extended them, and then attached them to one of those channel type bike carriers, the weight was then on the tow points and not the bodywork
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   OK Points taken.

I considered the system on spyderchat, I have it saved somewhere but unfortunately cant find it.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Richie"I considered the system on spyderchat, I have it saved somewhere but unfortunately cant find it.

yeah me too and the new SC system seem to be problematic  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"shame spyderchat is still down, one of the guys over there took 2 tow hooks, extended them, and then attached them to one of those channel type bike carriers, the weight was then on the tow points and not the bodywork

Wow! that's a really good idea! If you ever stumble across this thread/article again feel free to post the link?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jamesr1"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"shame spyderchat is still down, one of the guys over there took 2 tow hooks, extended them, and then attached them to one of those channel type bike carriers, the weight was then on the tow points and not the bodywork

Wow! that's a really good idea! If you ever stumble across this thread/article again feel free to post the link?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

sorry i've retried but they've mucked up the search engine on SC big time IMHO  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

peppyuk

Did anything come of this? I'm needing to move my bike around soon and was looking for a bike rack, did the one at the start of this topic do any damage to the car?
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Anonymous

I used it a few times when stuck and it hasn't done any damage to the car (granted I only lugged the one bike around and took the front wheel in the passenger seat.

Thats not to say that with time it wouldn't cause damage; Stu and Grant have illustrated that this rack uses the weak point of the bumper for support, which in time would cause damage.

At the moment I'm thinking of buying a cheap diesel runabout for circa £150 purely to lug the bikes around with and to do the occasional B&Q run or airport run.

The other 2 solutions for the mr2 are:

1)The bike rack that attaches to the classic carrier (Very expensive)
2) The custom-build thing from spyderchat that I can no-longer find.

Hope this helps,

Richie.

peppyuk

Ta,

Quote from: "Richie"2) The custom-build thing from spyderchat that I can no-longer find.

Anyone any info on this?

Will be doing 130 odd miles a week with bike in tow so need something thats not going to drop off or damage the car.

Anonymous

Quote from: "peppyuk"Ta,

Quote from: "Richie"2) The custom-build thing from spyderchat that I can no-longer find.

Anyone any info on this?

Will be doing 130 odd miles a week with bike in tow so need something thats not going to drop off or damage the car.

Found it!!

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewto ... =bike+rack m

peppyuk

Thats great cheers.

filcee

Quote from: "peppyuk"Will be doing 130 odd miles a week with bike in tow so need something thats not going to drop off or damage the car.
Just ride the 130-odd miles on your bike.  Should be good enough to maintain a base level of fitness  s:-P :-P s:-P   And think of all the petrol money you will save  :-) :-) :-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Silverman

On yer bike!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

filcee

Quote from: "Silverman"On your bike!
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
rest day today - not allowed to go training  s:-( :-( s:-(
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Tags: