Bike rack for MR2 - with Pictures

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 16:20

Anonymous

nice try! been wondering how to get the bikes on the 2 however prob will just take the rep mobile instead

P.S. its glentress not glen cress evileye_xc I go every couple of weeks the trails are awseome and spending a weekend at innerleithing in October

Anonymous

the way the bike sits behind the rear wheels wont improve the handling the 2 is supposed to be a balanced fine handling light weight car not a load carrier. a nice wet shiny road and you will aquaplane/under steer into the ditch, well at least you will have the bike to get home on!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "mick"the way the bike sits behind the rear wheels wont improve the handling the 2 is supposed to be a balanced fine handling light weight car not a load carrier. a nice wet shiny road and you will aquaplane/under steer into the ditch, well at least you will have the bike to get home on!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't exactly put the bike onto the back of the car to improve the handling, do I?

I used the rack for the few times when I had to lug the bike around, not to go whoring it on a wet road.

I think you're being a bit severe in your scenario above anyway, I sincerely doubt the extra weight of 1 bicycle on the back of a car is going to cause it to swerve off the road.

Granted its not going to do your handling any favours, but when going along a bypass at 60mph with the bike on the back, I doubt I have much to worry about in that respect.

Rant over.

Anonymous

i  fitted a H&S exhaust which weighs about 8lb less than stock and it made the front end a lot more stable, you dont always need to be going fast to end up in a ditch, read some of last weeks posts

filcee

Quote from: "mick"the way the bike sits behind the rear wheels wont improve the handling the 2 is supposed to be a balanced fine handling light weight car not a load carrier. a nice wet shiny road and you will aquaplane/under steer into the ditch, well at least you will have the bike to get home on!!!!!!!!
Which is (nearly) the same a slapping a roof rack or boot lid carrier on your grocery-getter and lugging bikes around that way.  Anything that is added will change the centre of gravity and amount of drag, therefore will affect the handling.
Strictly speaking if you're adding weight to a car, it should be as low down and as near to the centre of the car as possible.  Hmmmmm ... MR2 cubby holes ...   s:D :D s:D  Need a hacksaw to get my bike in though  s:( :( s:(   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

philster_d

hehe put the bike on the front then

Anonymous

I know this was talked about in an earlier post, and apologies for the short notice, but I'm going to glentress with a few mates on sunday so if anybody else is around that area, I'll be there with my new Rig to do some trails.

If any ROC mountain bikers fancy it, will be meeting at the hub at 10-10:30ish am.

Richie

dipper84

My solution>>>>>>>

I had 2 bars machined for me with the same thread as the towing eye, bough 2 standard thule bike acks which rit striaght on the bar. I always tie the bikes to the brackets where my hard top fits into, It gives a much stonger set up and takes alot of weight off the bars. (if the rack should ever fail, the bikes will just drag behind the car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aylward84/4972452318/

I shall get a close up picture shortly.....
Chris >>>>>

SimonC_Here

[mod]All in one thread here:
 l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10701&start=0 l [/mod]

Tags: