Which Alloy/Tyre Option?

Started by Anonymous, May 16, 2006, 17:43

Anonymous

I'll soon need to replace my tyres and want to change alloys at the same time.
I'll be popping into MrT first to get my bubbling wheels replaced (again).  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
My dilema is what option should I go for? I do not want to compromise either performance or handling.
I've looked around and come up with 2 options for comparison. I want a multi-spoke design either with larger wheels or alternatively as close to stock as I can find.
SP Option:
SP12 wheels 17"x7J+ET45 front and rear
fitted with Yokohama Parada tyres front 205.40.17 and rear 215.40.17
or
Alternative option:
Fox 3 Evo wheels front 15x6.5J+ET42 and rear 16x6.5J+ET42
fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tyres (as curently fitted) front 185.55.15 and rear 215.45.16

The SP option is the more expensive of the two as you'd expect due to the wheel size.

Looking for constructive advice/suggestions before I take the plunge

markiii

if you keep the 15" front 16" rear split go for the yoko neovas as tyres, you can't do better
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

David,

If you don't want to compromise on performace you might have to rule out the Fox wheels. As far as I know they are pretty heavy in general as makes go. I'm pretty sure they'd be heavier than your stock wheels, unless anyone knows otherwise.

As for the SP wheels I don't know their weight but unless they are 'super light' they're still going to be heavier than your stock wheels due to the larger size plus of course the larger tyres.

I've been through this dilema myself and after masses of searching I came to the conclusion that the only way to get light wheels with suitable offsets plus split sizes (which was something I definitely wanted to keep) was to go for a premier Japanese wheel. This means something like Volk Racing / Racing Hart / Gram Lights / Advans etc all of which offer a good range of sizes and offsets but all of which are very expensive  s:( :( s:(  

Steve.

MattPerformance

The SP12 wheel weighs the same as the 16" stock wheel.  We'll be making a full press release in the next few days with the whole story about our wheels but thought I'd pitch in with this point before you made a decision!

Tags: