Test drive on friday - what should I look out for?

Started by Anonymous, October 2, 2003, 10:10

Anonymous

I'm planning a new car for April... hopefully I'll be enough in the money by then that I can just buy outright.

Earlier in the year I took an FTO out which was a complete laugh, but hideously wide and not really my thing.

Anyway I want something that can be economical, but has potential to be lots of fun also, and the MR2 Roadster looks the part.. (apart from the googly headlights :p)..

I'm test driving one on friday, and someone in the office has offered to take me out for a spin in his at lunch. I've heard some major points I need to look at are storage... but what else do you think I should pay attention to that I might have a problem with long term? Things I should ask questions about?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Anonymous

Hi SLH

Rear storage isn't a problem, as we have access to special sculptured bags ( a lot cheaper than the Toyota leather one).

The only thing you will REALLY need is something to wipe the stupid grin off your face with every time you sit in it, never mind starting the engine or actually driving it  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

See my post in chit-chat.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Our is garaged, and the best thing is starting her in the morning and hearing her tick over in the garage...lovely lovely lovely.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What are they like if you leave them on the street? okay in the rain etc?

Anonymous

Mines never garaged, so far it's not leaked.  Nor leaked while I've been driving in the rain.  It's just over a year and half old.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SLH"What are they like if you leave them on the street? okay in the rain etc?

Of course, provided the roof is up in the rain  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   and there are no stupid people around who love to ruin nice cars.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  but thats not just a roadster problem.

Anonymous

Well, I was a bit worried about it getting slashed.

I currently own a black corsa... its been broken into twice in three months, first time they smashed the window, screwdrivered a lock, and nicked my mp3 head unit. Second time the locks had been fixed, and a £300 alarm fitted, and they *still* tried to screwdriver the locks, but failed to do anything other than cause £90 of replacement parts.

Much easier to slash a soft top though   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I assume you are buying second hand...

No real problems as the MR2 is as reliable as Toyota can make them (I know I will get grilled for saying that - especially from the chaps across the pond).  I never had any problems whatsoever, not a drop of oil missing, not once revved below the norm, no nasty temperatures, not a single drop of water in the cabin.

I guess, what you should look at is the state of the roof and the state of the interior.  Keep in mind that all MR2 Roadsters rattle inside but watch this space as one by one are identified, by our extremely capable fellow MR2ROC members, and eliminated.  Well, almost.

As for it's driving qualities, check Roger H's write up and EVO magazine.  Oh, and Roger is right about the grin...

Anonymous

I forgot to mention storage....

I've managed to fit my golf clubs at the back, so no real probs there either.

Anonymous

Okay.. quick feedback.. the dealership left a lot to be desired but the car didn't.

I was tossed the keys and told "bring it back in five minutes" which I thought was a bit crap.

Anyway, loved the car, found the gear changes a little clunky, and the accelerator was amusingly touchy, but other than that it was great fun.

Should my financial situation be good next year I shall be joining the world of the 2's :p

Anonymous

Quote from: "SLH"Okay.. quick feedback.. the dealership left a lot to be desired but the car didn't.

Try another dealer then. If they cant be bothered when you want to buy, how will they be for service or if you have problems?

I tried 2 dealers in 2 days before I ordered mine. The first dealer was slimy to say the least and tried to charge me 4000 Euro more than list price, then worked out a "discount" which brought it back to list. Needless to say, he didnt know I had a copy of the price list and had already worked out the list price. The secone dealer gave me a list price under list, than a discount on top of that.

So it pays to shop around.

Anonymous

blimey, my dealer was not too interested when i went for the test drive either, but i took the car for an hour!   s:D :D s:D  

The gear change can feel clunky, depends on what your used to - but trust me, you will learn how it feels and love it so much!

Anonymous

My dealer was pretty good about test driving.  I asked if I could have it on a Sunday and although I was told that would be extremely difficult, they managed to find one.  A brand new one.

They gave me the keys and they said, see you later...  

If only their aftermarket service was as good.

Anonymous

Hmm.. not getting positive vibes about dealers here hehe.

If I was to buy privately instead, what sort of things do I need to look out for?

Think I've decided on the new style, in blue, with leather seats, hard top and a/c. Feel free to contradict me though, new to MR2's and plenty of months before I decide to splosh out on one  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SLH"Think I've decided on the new style, in blue, with leather seats, hard top and a/c. Feel free to contradict me though
Oh dear, this is going to be a heated debate.  I think you're better off searching MR2ROC for this; I am sure it has been discussed before.  Many times.

Anonymous

Yeah, lets not start yet another thread on the colour debate   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Just go with what YOU like - nuff said!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Don't want to debate the colour, just the hard top and A/C   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Quote from: "SLH"Don't want to debate the colour, just the hard top and A/C   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

If you have the money then go for it, but im sure you could live without both (or add them later if you REALLY wanted to... A/C is a dealer fit accessory but comes in at just over a grand instead of £900)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SLH"Don't want to debate the colour, just the hard top and A/C   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Got to be done, the A/C in mine will get used a hell of a lot more in the winter than it did in the summer, because of course we have "Au Natrelle" A/C in the summer by popping the roof down! and you cant beat A/C for clearing't windscreen in colder climes.
And the hard-top, in my humble opinion, is not only extremely practical over winter (protecting soft-top from the elements when car not garaged, like mine, etc), but looks fuckin great too (scuse mon francais).

Anonymous

Well thats me sold :p

Just trying to find a contract that'll pay enough to get the cash together.

This one I'm working on at the moment ends this week, grr.

Tags: