What differences with an import?

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2003, 12:20

Anonymous

We just nearly bought a V Reg car which already had an MOT despite being told date of first reg was 1/12/00. We asked lots of qustions about this and then the dealer "discovered" it was an import, so we cancelled it, thinking he was up to something.
This may have been a mistake to cancel, as it is a nice car and everything seemed ok with it, and we are still thinking about it.
Exactly what is different about an import?
We'll buy one if there is no problem - as it is likely to be one around 3 yrs old the warranty is not so much an issue, as servicing will be done elsewhere.
What's this about spares? and parts being different?

SteveJ

I'll start with the easy bits.......

1) If the car was first registered outside the UK, it may have been required to pass an SVA - hence the MOT certificate.

2) The car is unlikely to have the Toyota CAT1 alarm fitted, as this was a UK port-of-entry fit

3) Slightly more open to debate this one - There appear to be differences with the suspension setup - certainly when comparing my old Y reg UK car with markiii's Euro import, the ride height and spring rates seemed to be different.

Other than that, all parts are identical - for the warranty (what's left of it) all you need to do is take the V5 to your nearest Mr T and they will put it on the database.

I'm sure someone else will chip in with other differences but that's all I can think of for the mo.

HTH

SteveJ

PS. I assume we are talking about a euro not Jap import. If it's a Jap car, then point 1) above is definately right.

markiii

To follow on.

With the possible exception of springs and dampers (no big deal) there are no difference between the UK and a Euro import.

With the excpetion of some Dealer options like leather/stereo and alarm.
Only you know if you want leather, the stereo you'll probably replace anyway and the alarm, maya or may not affect your insurance it depends on the company, If an issue you just fit one.

Jap imports, have a load of possible extras unique to the japan market, have a different ECU (which UK dealers can't read) and no 3rd 02 sensor (this is a good thing)

Jap cars also don't have underseal, so if it is budget for getting this done.

Insurance wise, most companies will chareg you extra for an import of any kind. Some as little as £20 some ridiculous amount, so check this first.

With regard to parts that may be unique to an import (there won't be many) , any Toyota part that exists can be got through yor dealer (no matter which market it was desined for) how easy this is in practice depends on how helpful your dealer is. Some will be happy to help, some
will be a pain. Dealers hae to order in Uk parts t5hese days as nowhere carries stock so itshouldn't make a huge difference.

If the condition is what you want and the price is right I wouldn't worry about it.

Do get it checked over thoroughly if its a Jap import though as many have been pranged in Japan and repaired in teh UK.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Just a point on taking it to your friendly Mr T with your V5 doc and registering it. I have a Euro import and Lindops in Queensferry (North Wales) wouldn't do any warranty work or even register it on data base, although he would serevice it, needless to say, not been back to him.
For Mr T to register it the V5 must say 'New at first registration' mine did, if it doesn't they won't register it or do any warranty work.
Registered mine with Bentleys in Warrington (nice people)
Hope this helps.

Anonymous

seems to me that importing causes way more hassle than it is worth.........

maybe im just young and naive.

S

GSB

Quote from: "jumpingflame"seems to me that importing causes way more hassle than it is worth.........

maybe im just young and naive.

S

Not quite true, Its bloody easy. I imported my car from Denmark, where I bought it new from a Toyota dealer, and drove it straight onto the ferry. I registered it as new here in the UK, so no mention of it being sourced outside the UK is even made on the log book. Apart from some very minor details that are added at port by Toyota GB, you'd never know the difference. You do get the odd braindead parts boke who doesn't know the difference between a Euro import and a Jap import, but on the whole they are getting rarer, and with my car its not an issue anyway as all the parts are identical to the UK car. Insurance has never been a problem, we have never been charged extra because the car is an import. My local Dealer treats it no differently to any other car. Warranty issues are solved without fuss. Its been no different to buying a car from here, except it was cheaper...

If it wasnt for the fact that the exchange rate isn't what it was, I'd go straight back to Denmark for my next car.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: