Got round to photographing the car tonight...

Started by ChrisGB, June 6, 2006, 00:49

ChrisGB

A good wash and wax (Collinite 476 wax, excellent stuff, lasts for ages, beads up better than anything else I have used and nothing seems to stick to it) and off to take a photo or two. Could have made more of the location but got moved on by plod.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

red_leicester

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Could have made more of the location but got moved on by plod

I remember my driving instructor telling me not to park on double-yellows.  It's because the police don't like it is it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Mood lighting as well............  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)  

Looking good  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ChrisGB

Quote from: "red_leicester"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Could have made more of the location but got moved on by plod

I remember my driving instructor telling me not to park on double-yellows.  It's because the police don't like it is it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I am a driving instructor  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Thought I would get away with it for a few minutes being in the middle of the night in sleepy Sudbury.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

aaronjb

Quote from: "ChrisGB"s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I am a driving instructor  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Lead by example, eh Chris?  s;) ;) s;)

Nice photo, though - very shiny, and nice composition too.

I can just imagine the conversation with the Police:

"Would you mind moving along, Sir, you're parked on double yellows"
"Ah.. uhm.. can I just take some more photos for some random people on the Internet?"
"Erm.. No. Move along now.."

s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I am a driving instructor  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Lead by example, eh Chris?  s;) ;) s;)

Nice photo, though - very shiny, and nice composition too.

I can just imagine the conversation with the Police:

"Would you mind moving along, Sir, you're parked on double yellows"
"Ah.. uhm.. can I just take some more photos for some random people on the Internet?"
"Erm.. No. Move along now.."

s;) ;) s;)

Dont do as I do....     s8) 8) s8)  

Much quicker conversation than that. They stopped and looked at me, I said "I'll move it now".

The shine is the result of using a product called Collinite 476 wax. It is detergent proof "long lasting" wax. Goes on easily with a damp sponge and keeps the water beading up long after most waxes have given up. I used it on my instruction car (the Fabia vRS) in October last year. The car is put through the car wash 2 or 3 times a week over winter and at once or twice in summer.  The polish is still holding up well, it even makes dew bead up.

Chris

TommyD

Looks straight out of a brochure, nice
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

Anonymous

Excellent picture Chris   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Looks lovely - still enjoying it, need I ask   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Looks the mutts nuts   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

alancdavis

Fancy a trip to Cumbria to clean mine   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

nice one! that is one Nice photo!!   s:D :D s:D

proeliator2001

Great photo, the car looks lovely.  Is this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Collinite-476s-Super-Doublecoat-Auto-Wax_W0QQitemZ8053781679QQcategoryZ72201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...a good price to pay for the wax?  I haven't found any other UK seller!
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Great photo, the car looks lovely.  Is this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Collinite-476s-Super-Doublecoat-Auto-Wax_W0QQitemZ8053781679QQcategoryZ72201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...a good price to pay for the wax?  I haven't found any other UK seller!

That is where I got mine from. Good fast service and Alex knows his stuff. As you can see, they do plenty of other products as well. I use the poorboy world wheel sealant as well. Putting the Collinite polish on with a damp sponge applicator and buffing off with a microfibre cloth is easy work with this stuff. The polish dries to a haze pretty quickly, but is easy to buff off even if left too long. It seems to not take too much to wax the whole car as well, a little going a long way. Reckon a tin will last about 20 years if you have one car.

Chris

ChrisGB

Quote from: "walkie"Excellent picture Chris   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Looks lovely - still enjoying it, need I ask   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hi James

Just been out to an Essex Briskoda meet tonight having been driving the MR2 around Suffolk all day. Got in the vRS and boy does it feel clumsy after the nimble and accurate MR2. So much faster in a straight line though. Hmmm, vRS lump into MR2?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Chris

Two's Company

If you order the Colinette from the Serious Performance website and mention Detailingworld you get 10% discount for chque or 6% for Paypal and Free P +P.   s8) 8) s8)

proeliator2001

Chris, I ordered the wax (cheers TC for the detailing world discount   s8) 8) s8)  ), but you lying sod!  Perhaps I laid the wax on thicker than you did but it took two hours of hard rubbing (oo er vicar   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) to wax the car - the stuff is a right bleeder to get off compared to your cheapo liquid waxes - either you're used to hard rubbing (:shock:) or I'm an utter wimp. Still, if Mother Nature has as much trouble wearing the wax away as I did putting in on then I'm looking forward to not having to wax again for 10 years   s:D :D s:D    s8) 8) s8)

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

red_leicester

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Got in the vRS and boy does it feel clumsy after the nimble and accurate MR2. So much faster in a straight line though.

I must be missing something here.

The MR2 is the first 'reasonably-nippy' car I've owned (although I've driven a few 'performance cars' here and there).  Obviously the performance of the 2 is incomparable to my old 1.4 Golf or the 1.3 Polo I had before that.

Anyway, to my point.  The 0-60 time of the vRS is two seconds slower than the 2.  The top speeds are about the same.  The power is slightly up in the 2.  But of course the torque in the vRS is mountainous compared to the 2.  So does keeping the vRS around 2-3000rpm keep it shifting along "much faster" than an MR2 at 5-6500rpm ?

I certainly would have thought not, but if I'm wrong that's fair enough.  And if that is the case, it shows how useless 0-60 times are in the real world.

(I guess what I'm really getting at is:  My god, I hope I don't get blown away by a 1.9 diesel Skoda   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

proeliator2001

I had a Civic Type R for 2 years before the '2 and that is well known for being peaky (though is of NO problem as long as you're happy to work the - fantastic - gearbox).  Sat on a motorway at legalish speeds, I'd often find myself only just matching TDCI engined Mondeos and 130bhp Golfs for acceleration - their torque makes for effortless forward movement whereas I'd have to get the engine on the boil for it to feel fast.  In the '2 I struggle to match good diesels unless I drop out of 6th gear.  I drove the lastest Civic with the excellent Honda diesel and TBH, it didn't feel much slower than the CTR once I was up to speed - you'd have to work a petrol engine harder to get the right performance out of it which is why I suppose a good diesel "feels" quicker as there is some shove in the back at almost all revs.

I have to say, I find the '2s engine really bland.  I used to hate diesels but unless the petrol engine has 8 cylinders or revs to over 8000rpm, I think I'd prefer one of the new crop of diesels to be in my next car!  Diesel roadster anyone   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ?

Tem

Sorry to steal your thread Chris, but the topic works for me too.  s8) 8) s8)

My '2 and friends Supra.

Edit: Uh...how come the img-tags aren't working?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Same as link then:  m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/1&2.jpg m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Two's Company

Quote from: "proeliator2001"cheers TC for the detailing world discount

No problem   s8) 8) s8)  

Quote from: "proeliator2001"Perhaps I laid the wax on thicker than you did but it took two hours of hard rubbing (oo er vicar   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) to wax the car - the stuff is a right bleeder to get off compared to your cheapo liquid waxes

Next time try applying it as thin a coat as possible, it will be much easier to remove and provide just as much protection as a thick coat.  If you put too much on it's a PITA to remove as you found and doesn't last any longer as the excess ends up on the cloth when you buff it off.   s:D :D s:D

PET3R

Quote from: "Tem"Edit: Uh...how come the img-tags aren't working?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You're the moderater   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Sorry to steal your thread Chris, but the topic works for me too.  s8) 8) s8)

My '2 and friends Supra.

Edit: Uh...how come the img-tags aren't working?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Same as link then:  m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/1&2.jpg m

Is it is the "&"?  Maybe different rules for images vs links.

Tem

Thanks Beanie!  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

northernalex

Looks like you're cars are sinking..!! arggg

(looking good tho)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

ChrisGB

Quote from: "red_leicester"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Got in the vRS and boy does it feel clumsy after the nimble and accurate MR2. So much faster in a straight line though.

I must be missing something here.

The MR2 is the first 'reasonably-nippy' car I've owned (although I've driven a few 'performance cars' here and there).  Obviously the performance of the 2 is incomparable to my old 1.4 Golf or the 1.3 Polo I had before that.

Anyway, to my point.  The 0-60 time of the vRS is two seconds slower than the 2.  The top speeds are about the same.  The power is slightly up in the 2.  But of course the torque in the vRS is mountainous compared to the 2.  So does keeping the vRS around 2-3000rpm keep it shifting along "much faster" than an MR2 at 5-6500rpm ?

I certainly would have thought not, but if I'm wrong that's fair enough.  And if that is the case, it shows how useless 0-60 times are in the real world.

(I guess what I'm really getting at is:  My god, I hope I don't get blown away by a 1.9 diesel Skoda   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

It could happen. Standard VRS makes enough torque and acceleration to get close to a wrung out MR2 IMO but only once you get up and running. Off the line is pants with FWD and 229lb/ft. The MR2 gets off the line really smartly.

However, give the Fabia 283lb/ft carried from 2500 to nearly 4000 rpm and 193bhp and it gets still harder to get off the line. However, once up and running it can be quite nippy. Have not timed 0-60 full chat but have seen sub 7 seconds without really trying in first, and backing off for wheelspin in second. Where it gets more interesting is in the increments. The highest speed 20mph increment I timed was the 60-80. This is done in 3.6 seconds (fourth) which a standard MR2 would not get near. 50-70 is quite a bit quicker as it is done in third but cannot remember just how quick, somewhere in the late 2s. The difference is pretty huge and when I drive the MR2 I have to remember that overtakes that would be easy in the Fabia are off limits.

The other thing is the roll on acceleration. The Fabia just steams off up the road if you are in top at 70 and floor it, you are doing 100 in next to no time. I would guess that even wrung out through the gears, the standard MR2 would have real problems keeing up with the Fabia in top from say 70mph.

Chris

Tags: