What is J-Spec?

Started by Anonymous, June 4, 2003, 08:43

Anonymous

I keep hearing about this, and see everyone wants J-Spec badges and stuff... even our logo has the J-Spec bird-type-thing on it... just wondered what its all about?

Fanx   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

dunno but i ordered the badge from adam so i hope it's nothing bad LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

J-spec means Japan-spec.

The birdielogo comes stock on MR2's in Japan, that's why it's called J-spec this and that.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

J-Spec

Japanese Domestic Market Specification.

i.e. all the little bits and pieces and optional extras the Japanese market gets, that would never normally see the light of day here in the west. for an idea of all the bits the Japanese get that we dont look on:

http://www.japanparts.com
 or http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Mr-s/index.html
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

ahhhh, it all seems much clearer now!   s:D :D s:D  

Cheers Guys!

GSB

Examples of J-spec stuff (other than the badges):

Passenger side upper glovebox in place of the airbag:

Interior colour options:

Engine start button:

Spare tyre cover:

Sat-Nav pod:

And side opening covers to tidy up the stowed softop:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"i.e. all the little bits and pieces and optional extras the Japanese market gets, that would never normally see the light of day here in the west.

IMHO, it's not like that. It's just japanese spec stuff, doesn't matter if we get it or not. Normally there's just no need to mention that for example the front bumper is same in EU/US/J-spec.

Anonymous

I like the starter button.  Is that a stock J-Spec item then?

I'd go for one of those except I know it would be fiendishly difficult to install!

--H--

Tem

Japan has 3 different MR2 models...but I don't think the starter button is stock on any of them.

And assuming it's similar to one for IS200, it's not hard to install. You just remove the coin holder and insert the button there, no tools required. And the wiring harness just plugs in between the ignition connectors, rerouting the starter wires to the button (it won't work from the key anymore).

Anonymous

Do you know a part number for the starter button kit, and a good source (Japan Parts maybe?).

I don't know what the norm in the UK is but I don't have this mysterious "coin holder".  From the starter button picture above I have my window lockl button where the starter button is and below that an odd looking oval thingy with what looks like it might be a red light in the middle, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

I do have a blank pod over the other side of the steering column that I could use instead potentially.

Cheers!

--H--

GSB

This button is an option at 15000 yen (around £80). Starter buttons arent that hard to install, its just a case of removing the relevant wires from the ignition switch and connecting them to your new button. You might even find that being an officail toyota bit it just plugs in!

If you want one of these real bad, e-mail japanparts.com and they can generally sort little bits like this out for you.

There is another option if your intersted, and thats the button from the Honda S2000, which should be pretty easy to get hold of. Heres an article on installing it in an MX5...

http://www.miata.net/garage/pushstart/

Anonymous

GSB:

Is there any way of getting hold of the sat nav pod, without the screen ???

Otherwise it means fiber glass time and i hate that stuff!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

GSB

Japanparts supply these to SC members and group buys all the time. search the archives on there for installation tips and prices.
http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110

Anonymous

thankyou,

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

it's not stocked on there web site!

So how do you get hold of these???? would some one on SC be able to have a word with some chums and find out please  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

They don't have every item on their pages, just contact them  s:) :) s:)

GSB

E mail Graham at japan parts on

e mailto:gware@japanparts.com">gware@japanparts.com e

mph

I'm sure if you asked Adam (GT 300) nicely, he'd stock them for you!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

cheers guys,

i have pm adam and look forward to the reply   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Hey, I finally got here and it was up   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Hi all.

Quote from: "Hardcore"From the starter button picture above I have my window lockl button where the starter button is and below that an odd looking oval thingy with what looks like it might be a red light in the middle, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

That's part of the alarm system.  I wouldn't remove it if I were you!  It is definitely a red LED.  The dealer indicated that it was also the transmitter for the ultrasonic / microwave (whatever we have) interior sensor.  Of course, that may have been BS.

Either way, not a good thing to remove.

Anonymous

Hi there.

Whats the hook thing to the right of the alarm thing then?

Anonymous

thats the coin holder... i think...?!?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Bloody hell, I never thought of that!...I love this place!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Hi there.

Whats the hook thing to the right of the alarm thing then?
Erm, to the right of the alrm thingy I have the control for the instrument backlight brightness.

I have:

Window lock   ¦    Door lock
-------------------------------------------
Alarm thingy   ¦    Brightness control

No coin holder to be seen.

--H--

Anonymous

yeah, coin holder on 03 model is on the left of the steering wheel next to our alarm light. On the right, we have an extra button for the Fog Lights.

Tags: