exhaust silencer

Started by kanujunkie, June 25, 2006, 20:25

kanujunkie

i've been chatting with Al (Vspec) at work today about options on my exhaust and which way to go. Al made a suggestion that i like but i'm not sure on the legalities of it or how loud it could be. It went like this

why not remove the silencer and route it as a side exit thru the bodywork??????

now i really like the idea but i thought i'd ask your opinions first. If anyone cant think of a reason not to then this will be a goer for JAE  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

That's cool, as long as you never want to do another trackday... (It's highly likely to be well above noise limits)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Now if you could route it through the bodywork and keep the silencer... Well, I think I'd be having your children.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"That's cool, as long as you never want to do another trackday... (It's highly likely to be well above noise limits)

good point!

Quote from: "Ekona"Now if you could route it through the bodywork and keep the silencer... Well, I think I'd be having your children.

and i can  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

exit will be on the left, just behind the wheel, exiting thru a 9-10" square hole that contains a 3" round exit in the middle of that square, i'm going to speak to H&S on Monday about doing an install asap
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Do you post such things just to rub it into my face   s:( :( s:(    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sounds awesome, be interesting to see it done.....

My oh my I want to fettle with this car   s:( :( s:(

kanujunkie

Quote from: "walkie"Do you post such things just to rub it into my face   s:( :( s:(    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sounds awesome, be interesting to see it done.....

My oh my I want to fettle with this car   s:( :( s:(

soory, no i've been kinda forced to do this and thought what the hell  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

fingers crossed i can persuade Thor to tune her at JAE as well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

as for the fettling, well go on let the inner demon out, you know you want to, i held back for a while until some of the others persuaded me to let go  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

this is an interesting idea... lookin forward to seeing how it looks...   s:) :) s:)

9-10" sounds quite big though?? wouldn't have thought you'd want it that much bigger than the tip??

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jamesr1"this is an interesting idea... lookin forward to seeing how it looks...   s:) :) s:)

9-10" sounds quite big though?? wouldn't have thought you'd want it that much bigger than the tip??

try reading that one again, its a 3" tip mounted flush onto a 9-10" flat plate. The plates there to dissapate the heat so that it doesn't melt the bumper, i'm actually going to remove the plastic from under that square and pincer the plastic between 2 pieces of metal 9-10" squareish, you'll see what i mean when its done
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"...The plates there to dissapate the heat so that it doesn't melt the bumper...

ahh... of course, I was forgettin the bumper was plastic!!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Well, be sure to take photo's when it's done, should be good...!   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

its booked in at H&S for the 17th in time for JAE  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Something like this, then?  s;) ;) s;)

http://www.fastcoolcars.com/Free-Car/wallpaper-0221.htm
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

ooh me likey
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

bit bling for my likeing that one, but yeah thats the general idea. it'll be a 3" exit now with a round heatshield mounted flush to the skin
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

so how will it release to allow teh bumper to come off?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

the section on the bumper will actually be a fake tip thats either screwed or clamped onto the main pipe behind the panel
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

should look similar to this but behind the wheel

[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You should be eligible for a Council grant for cleaning the roads with that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Result!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

which side would it come out on, would there be a problem if it was on the n/s?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Bowman"which side would it come out on, would there be a problem if it was on the n/s?

yeah its the N/S but if its good for TVR, then its good enough for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

after a bit more thought, the tip will emerge from the bodywork by 1" to decrease the possible damage to the bodywork. the inerior of the bodywork will also be covered by space age heatshield that i resourced.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"the inerior of the bodywork will also be covered by space age heatshield that i resourced.

You mean Bacofoil, right?  s;) ;) s;)    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"the inerior of the bodywork will also be covered by space age heatshield that i resourced.

You mean Bacofoil, right?  s;) ;) s;)    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol: , or a spare jet heatshield i found lyeing around somewhere **whistles and looks at the sky**
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie":lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: , or a spare jet heatshield i found lyeing around somewhere **whistles and looks at the sky**

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Which aircraft should we avoid getting on, then?  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

actually i dont know, it didn't have any paperwork and was being thrown out, i just thought i could put it to good use  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Leeber

Next time I hear a bird-seed callsign making a mayday call I'll think of you mate.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

kanujunkie

well, its done, looks really damn good but does need some adjustment, heres a pic of the new exhaust tip

[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: