Oil change at service?

Started by Chris, October 8, 2003, 10:05

Chris

With my 10000 service coming up on friday, I was thinking about the merits of changing the oil...

Thinking that the oem stuff does the job but is likely to be just mass produced average stuff, (and bearing in mind that I do a lot of small, short, traffic journeys) I was thinking about supplying them with some gtx magnatec to put in.  Anyone got any suggestions - good /bad/indifferent?

TIA   s:) :) s:)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

I would too.

but magnatec good as it is realy should be changed every 5000 as it gets very thin.

Having said which I haven't as yet adhered to that advice.

I will as soon as I get the pit fitted so I can do my own though.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Does this mean you will be the man to see when we all want 5k mile oil changes?!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D

markiii

reasonable hourly rates will apply  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

just to add, always use a flushing oil between changes too.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

agreed in principle, though theres sod all chance that Mr T bother with that.

Should you turn the engine over with the flushng oil in? Just to make sure the oil galleries are all flushed as well?

GSB

Surely, if you take good care of your engine and change the oil on a regular basis, (and 5000 miles is very regular!) the oil you're removing wont be in such a bad condition that you'd need to remove all traces of it by flushing. In fact, it will barely have started to degrade. Personally I wouldn't bother.

I have flushed engines before, but only after I've carried out intrusive work where the oil may have become contaminated, i.e. head gasket replacement etc... under a normal operating regime I would never use a flushing oil.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

According to my 40k service receipt, my local Mr T put in Magnatec without me asking, and also flushed it through first.

I can't remember what they did for the other services though...

Tim

Anonymous

Hi,

As much as I know, Castrol is reccomended by Toyota, so dealers usually use Castrol oils, out of which GTX Magnatec is the cheapest, at least around here  s;-) ;-) s;-) .

Anonymous

When I had my 10K, Mr T used GTX Magnatec, again without asking.

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"Castrol is reccomended by Toyota

Is it really...?

AFAIK, it was back in the time, when Castrol was sponsoring Toyota in WRC, but I don't think Toyota officially recommends Castrol anymore. But since old habits tend to last for a while, some dealers still say that.

Over here Toyota usually uses Mobil, unless you ask for something else.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Shell Helix at my local Mr T.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Shell Helix at my local Mr T.

Ditto (Marshall Rolfe in Southampton).

markiii

interesting I thought Helix was a fully synth?

Whic is not supposed to be recommended for our engines?

Chris

Quote from: "mph"just to add, always use a flushing oil between changes too.

just got back from the dealers after my service.  £95.69 all in, including an oil flush!  It doesn't say which oil they put in, and I forgot to ask   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The thing that made me laugh was that after all my trackdays, the brake pads were only worn 15% front 10% rear!!!  They are either very hard wearing or I brake like a granny as well....
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

mph

Quote from: "Chris"The thing that made me laugh was that after all my trackdays, the brake pads were only worn 15% front 10% rear!!!  They are either very hard wearing or I brake like a granny as well....
The stock pads are very hard wearing - even on track! The down side is that they do suffer horrendous fade very quickly though.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: