Not another Aerial Question

Started by Anonymous, July 17, 2006, 12:43

Anonymous

First things first,, Hi all, first post, so be gentle.

And only had a MR2 since sat as well, so still getting to know it.

Anyway,, first job that needed doing was the aerial,, Made a horrible clonking noise and didn't do anything, so assuming the motor isn't happy.

Took the whole unit out yesterday and in a nutshell i eiother need to have it looked at and the motor fixed,, or get a new one.

Have done a few searches on this on here and also had a look on the spider website too but a lot of the links dont seem to work on my PC.

so if you were in my shoes, barring in mind i'm a bit skint after buying this for the mrs,, would you go for the fixed mini bee sting or try to get replacement parts for the one i already have ??.

either way, if anyone has any experience with where i can get these bits from as well, would be most greatful.

many thanks

Andy

enid_b

hi and welcome.

there are many schools of thought on this one young paddawan.

personally i would do away with the stock electric one and go for a short flexy stubby type one.  when mine packs in its certainly the way i will be going.

electric aerials IMHO should be banned as they are always just an accident waiting to happen. plus at about 9' tall when extended you are just asking for trouble during electrical storms   s:P :P s:P
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Have been doing a lot of reading up about them,, and no one seems to mention doing this, which to be honest is ideal for me,

The only thing i was worried about was how well it will fit on the wing,,
I like the fact that the existing one sits flush,, no angle alteration bits, all black etc etc.

or is there a sort out there that other people have used that fits nicely ???

I have only found on my search,, putting new elect ones on,, or the little stubby one that the chap in the states does.

evileye_wrx

I just fitted an LT short antenna from Lord Takuban in the States. cost $119 in the last group buy on spyderchat. I believe there is another round in the group buy now.

Its not hard to fit. it can't be hard if I managed myself!

I've also heard that a Honda S2000 aerial will do the trick just as well without the expense of postage from the States.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I just fitted an LT short antenna from Lord Takuban in the States. cost $119 in the last group buy on spyderchat. I believe there is another round in the group buy now.

Its not hard to fit. it can't be hard if I managed myself!

I've also heard that a Honda S2000 aerial will do the trick just as well without the expense of postage from the States.

Phil

it will but you need teh s2000 aerial base and thats £50
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I changed mine to an LT and didn't find it hard to fit.  My opinion is that it looks much better but in my case the reception is also much poorer with the LT.  It could of course be something in the way I have fitted it

evileye_wrx

No, you just get really poor reception.

Looks +10

Reception -10

All praise the Ipod Connector

Phil
Phil

Leeber

Is the reception ok with the S2000 aerial then?

Edited for spelling ineptitude
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

northernalex

I love the way the electric stock arial goes up and down when I turn on the radio etc (I love anything gagetty) Although there has to be an element of drag from the full extended arial, try driving at 70 with the roof down and put the ariel up and down - listen to the wind noise!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

evileye, did you get the full converstion or just the short anttena???
the reason i ask is i am about to order the seperate bits from toyota to convert the electric version to the later version and was wondering how the short anttena fitted into the new base??
any chance of any pics of the conversion without the anttena fitted (i asume it just screws into the base??)
thanks in advance.

evileye_wrx

if you already have an electric ariel then you need to purchase the conversion kit with LT's short ariel. The kit replaces the motor kit and the ariel won't work at all without it.

the short ariel just screws into the base of the kit. From what I gather the short ariel, on its own, is all that is needed if you have the older non motorised ariel.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics when I was fitting the new ariel but there is a good fitting guide, with pics, on  w www.spydermagazine.com w . that's what I used.

Hope this helps.
Phil
Phil

Anonymous

yes cheers.
the bits are cheaper if i buy them from toyota in this country rather than get them from the gb over on sc.
i just wanted to know if it was a screw fixing rather than it have to be modiffied, as i can just order the short anttena, so thanks for answering.   s:D :D s:D
as for the pics i just require a pic of the base unit without the anttena fitted (the screw in part) as i already have got the link on how to replace the mast.
i dont suppose you know what size thread the anttena has ???

evileye_wrx

errrm, no.sorry. not a clue

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

For the US version (and I believe the UK too) there is a 5mm thread hole that a stud fits into, then the antenna screws down onto the stud.

Perhaps you can check this site (more or less local to you) for more info (they also show 5mm for Mr T antennas):

m http://www.autoleads.co.uk/downloads/07AncAudAcc.pdf m

Tags: