Young persons insurance insanity

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2006, 07:34

Anonymous

Just getting some quotes now as with a little luck I should have my '2 in a week or so. Just to set the scene heres my details

Age - 21
male
NCB- zero
No previous claims
Points - 3, lc20 a long time ago
Standard roadster, 2000 reg
Kept overnight in a locked and gated residents only apartment parking area in Canterbury (hardly gotham city)
No mods
No other drivers

Norwich union £1700
Elephant £3800
Admiral £3600
Tesco & Direct line  - "call us to further discuss..." which is insurance lingo for EXPENSIVE

Looks like im paying £1700

SimonC_Here

You say no other drivers, stick your mum on it as a named driver and watch the premium fall.

Simon

Anonymous

Knocked 20 quid off  s:( :( s:(

leon_in_uk

i put my gf and my dad on mine...

and i have 6 points. try adrian flux.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Jono"Knocked 20 quid off  s:( :( s:(

I didn't say how far!  s;) ;) s;)   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Simon

Anonymous

I think i might try my gran, what could possibly lower a insurance more than a little old lady....wth 6 points....and a disposition towards sports cars. Hmm maybe ill just pay the £1800 and lump it

Stifler

Usually when i am thinking about buying a new car, the very first thing i do is do is get a speculative quote, then theres no nasty surprises (also important to budget for insurance as well as the price of the car')

Sorry for the topic drift, it just always surprises me that people dont do this  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Oh i did do the speculative quote first, just presumed I would be able to argue it down by playing a few companys off against each other but I seems the Norwich union quote I had first is by far the lowest, which was a suprise.

Anonymous

Norwich union it is. It seems the difference is they take into account how long you have been on the road at all, including learner times so if like me you passed your driving test relativly recently but was a learner for donkeys years you still have a decent amount of "period license held".

Stifler

Cool, I was with norwich union one year when i was younger and i had a (cough cough Saxo VTR  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ), they seem fairly decent towards younger drivers  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I heard one of the main selling point of the vtr was a dedicated storage locker specially designed to hold kappa poppers and those giant cans of star twat (stella art<spell>) is that true? Also I heard the stereo comes preprogrammed with a best of garage album.

northernalex

Plus its illegal to own a saxo without
1)having it first lowerd
2)puting on a body kit that wobbles
3)having less than 2 exhauts

(even in the 1l)  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Liz

The LC20 stays on your licence for 4 years - you say along time ago, is it due to expire... naughty - were you driving alone on a provisional?

As an oldie I do feel sorry for people starting out with owning a car these days, but why not go for one of the deals where you buy a car and you get free insurance so that you build up some of your no claims and then get a better car a few years down the line? I suppose that I wouldn't of wanted to do that though in your position!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Bongo

direct line were the cheapest for me when I first got my 2 (22, first car) could be worth ringing them?

Anonymous

Direct line dont seem to want anything to do with me, but on the upside as Ive bought a new flat to go wtih the new car  s:) :) s:)  the half price sky tv offer norwich union are doing will be handy. The LC20 was in feb03 I can say it was not one of my proudest moments, I had just given a little old mini some serious love. Red interior, carpets, speakerpods, center console ungodly amounts of chrome and a chavvy bastard exhaust and I thought i would go for a little drive to test out the pair of 10" subs i had stuck in the boot. Fast forward 20 minutes and the mini was wrapped around a tree and I was bent over a police car getting frisked in front of most of my mates who had run down to try to get the bits out of the road and hopefully tow the car before the local law enforcers showed up. All of this still with the L-plates on, classy boy.

I hasten to add the memory of my Garyboy mini makes me cringe, what I was thinking at the time I am still unsure, I theorised i was under some sort of mind control.

ghollis_84

I am 21 and i am with bell, they gave me a renewal quote this year of £855 i would give them a go, Also Barclays, they said £910,

Hope this helps mate

Grant
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Anonymous

Have you tried More Than ?

Pretty cheap, and I know that the MR2 Roadster is currently in their lower 'band' of premiums ( although my recent claim may of bumped it up ! )

For me £320 Fully Comp  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Bell £2700, Barclays "call us" i think the biggest factor is that I have only had a full license for 5 months and only N.U give a toss about pre test driving experiance.

Anonymous

It's the LC20 that's killing you here. Like Bongo says, Direct Line are almost always the cheapest for younger drivers by far, so it looks like you either pay the silly money or get something cheaper like Liz suggested.

Sorry  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Can I just add my 2p worth, since I work in insurance related industry  s:-P :-P s:-P

Direct Line are just that - a direct insurer, you dont go through any brokers with them that *may* add high overheads to the premium.

However - some brokers actually purchase insurance directly from *insurers* in *bulk* meaning x amount of policies.

You can get a deal if you know what to ask for  :-) :-) :-)

roger

Somebody (Stu?) was talking to an insurance company / broker some months ago about Club Discount etc etc.

Did anything come of that?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Stifler

QuoteI heard one of the main selling point of the vtr was a dedicated storage locker specially designed to hold kappa poppers and those giant cans of star t**t (stella art<spell>) is that true? Also I heard the stereo comes preprogrammed with a best of garage album.

i hate you all  s:( :( s:(

tbh the chav chariot that is the vtr is a decent car, i never molested mine it was standard it did the job for a couple of years while i saved and accrued NCB and the performace was decent (for a 22 yr old:D).

the other 3 guys who i know who used to have VTR's have moved on to elises and VX220 turbos, some of them have since bought a vtr to use as a run around and still enjoy driving it. (i was thinking about getting one for the wife...)

Its a decent car, but as always a few poor misguided souls ruin it for every one  s;) ;) s;)

Oh and good luck with the insurance btw   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Hi im 21 and i pay around £800 with adrian flux.I think your right that its the fact that you have only had a full licence for 5 months which is putting the premium up.
I dont think your going to get a cheaper quote than norwich union.
My personal opinion would be that the 2 is not an ideal first car,maybe consider something else for the first year or two.Just my opinion though.

Anonymous

Oh the 2 is not my 1st car, I have had a few. Was driving a nissan primera for a year before this <insert shame> on the l -plates obviously but I was driving daily and a mini before that, just uni got in the way of actually passing my test. To late now anyway I pick up my 2 at 3:00:)

Anonymous

try a company called performance direct. im 26 got 6 points and no no claims.
1400 quid fully comp

Tags: