My old engine

Started by leon_in_uk, July 31, 2006, 12:44

leon_in_uk

right guys, stripped the whole engine down... the bores are fine. top end totally fine... even big ends are fine... and the only thing wrong is that the pistons have hit the ....... cant remember to slighlty score them...

my step dad said thats due to over revving....

so only a slight error in the whole engine.... oh and the crappy manifold
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Tem

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"the pistons have hit the ....... cant remember to slighlty score them...

my step dad said thats due to over revving....

Valves?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

leon_in_uk

thats the one. only slight scoring... would that make a diesel sound??:

if so, no effect from pre cats inside the engine... they must of blown out the exhaust..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

SteveJ

The 1ZZ is a non interference engine, so there is no way the valves can hit the piston unless something has gone very wrong. Over revving will not cause this.

kanujunkie

you sure you dont have a broken piston??
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

well this is the piston, what could cause this??

and is this the big end?? its very clean and no marks what so ever... the only thing wrong with that engine is the above pic...

Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

kanujunkie

ok you got me, strange one this  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

That piston looks fine to me - I'm guessing you've cleaned the carbon off it, hence the 'scrape marks', right? (surprisingly hard to get off, isn't it!)

Odd.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

leon_in_uk

thats all i have done and took out. no cleaning etc.

if you notice 2 chips/bends to the left.. that is the only thing wrong with the engine...

my step dad has stripped the whole lot down...

so the piston and only 1 pre cat.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

aaronjb

The two 'dinks' on the left hand edge of the piston are the reliefs for the valves on that side of the head I believe - all the pistons should be the same..

Unless I'm not looking at the right bit of the picture (entirely possible  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

peppyuk

That piston looks fine from where I'm sitting, if it had hit the valves your more likely to see valve damage than piston damage, if a piston hits the valves you'll see that the valves which had been hit will be bent and won't close fully.
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

leon_in_uk

oh right. my step dad knows alot aobut engines metal etc. he has just stripped his porsche 944s down and back together.

and from what he tells me there was no damage to that engine!!

he said it burnt oil from what he could smell and look at.. in the sump there was white and black oil left.

so with an engine that looks fine inside. i wonder what made the heavy diesel sound and power loss.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

SimonC_Here

"Looks fine" is one thing, my failure was down to oval bores. They sent an engineer (2 actually but that's another story) down to measure them with some device or other.

Simon

markiii

power loss would be the reecats obstructing teh exhaust
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

leon_in_uk

so after stripping the engine and getting a new one. all i perhaps needed to do is get a new manifold, or gut existing one. and get a new exhaust system..

although a company would of charged about 1k to strip the engine down to find the problem...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

possible though from memory you were using loads of oil as well?

and that would have to be engine related
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"so after stripping the engine and getting a new one. all i perhaps needed to do is get a new manifold, or gut existing one.

Eh ? why do you want a new manifold ? thats putting pre cats back in again after they busted you once.

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"or.. ...get a new exhaust system.....

Sounds logical (cat anyway), but its all stuff I recal you where told at the time of the initial failure.

And is stated many times here dont put the same cat back on the new engine etc. etc.

leon_in_uk

i know. i wouldnt keep the pre cats in (they arent in now) and i would use a new cat...

but maybe if i gutted the manifold. and got a new cat there wouldnt of been a problem...

and im not convinced it was the pre cats that blew back into the engine.. just blew into my cat and exhaust system....

something else may of caused the oil consumption....
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

markiii

you'd have to be seriously unlucky to simultaneously have 2 seperae issues one causing precat failure and one causing massive oil consumption.

but hey with you anythings possible  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Did you have the bores measured at all on the old block? - I'm just wondering if oval bores were the cause of your oil consumption rather than any precat related damage.

leon_in_uk

not measured. but they are round. and very clean..

my step dad is a metal polisher and he said they are like new, really nicely polished.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

SteveJ

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"not measured. but they are round. and very clean..

my step dad is a metal polisher and he said they are like new, really nicely polished.

So if you havent measured them, how do you know they are round - do you have super macro vision that can measure things to within a couple of thousandths of an inch?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SEE THE BORE IS OVAL USING THE NAKED EYE.

Beowulf

Yeh,sorry,you will neeed a micrometer to tell they are oval.It might seem like the the internal combustion engine is a basic thing,but when you know how it works,its amazing it works at all  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .It is a precision instrument and as such very small things can make a big difference. A rebore and oversized pistons would have been the way to go I think (if you were rebuilding the engine). I have got away with just the shells and rings on my 2 rebuilds in the past (ford cvh and pinto),but oval bores was not a problem in my case.
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

red_leicester

Unless you're looking at one of these bad boys.  CLICKY

Now that's what I call oval.  (And eight valves per cylinder   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s8) 8) s8)  )
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Ah yes, the old Honda NR500 (didn't they do a 750)!

I'd suggest you have the bores checked with a micrometer as above.
A rebore and blueprint would give you a very nice engine while you're at it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: