Engine lights on

Started by Anonymous, August 7, 2006, 19:23

Anonymous

Hi,

My engine light came on a few days ago, I havent been driving the car  with it on though.

Felt a slight loss in power over time.
First time I started the car and actually stood behind it and looked at the exhaust, had some steam coming out and water to.

I of course had a mild fit and jumped to the conclusion of a broken head gasket, but now Im not to sure.

Few things ive noticed:
The Good:

1. No excessive oil consumption
2. Oil isnt milky
3. Engine sounds normal
4. The water level in the bottle isnt dropping even when I take it to operating temperature.

The bad:
1. Steam and water out exhaust
2. Engine lights on
3. Some white stuff in my exhaust has turned powdery? (could be soap though)

Do you guys think its condensation?
Im hoping its just the MAF or O2 sensors any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi Twist,

its impossible to diagnose correctly without having the code read to find out whats triggering the engine light.

One option is to go to toyota and have the code read at a cost of £40ish, but a better option would be if there is a fellow member who lives nearby with an OBDII reader who could check it for you.

Hope you get the issues resolved ok,

Richie

Anonymous

Mine has come on. It came on last night and the car seems normal with no iregularities.

I have cleaned the MAF and the light has stayed on. I am going to try disconnecting the battery tomorrow for 10mins to see if it resets. If it stays lit then I will call the AA out and get them to read it. See what they say.

kanujunkie

remember that disconnecting the battery will erase the code. However my school of though goes against quite a few on here, so if all else fails then do it, if its a hard fault then it'll come back within 3 runs out, if not then bonza!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I suppose it is worth a try Stu.....I will let you know. Thanks!!!

normanh

Hi not far from you here in Essex with a uk reader pm me if you need the use of a reader.

normanh

Anonymous

Thanks for the offer norman, I will try the AA tonight as they will come to me and I have never used them.

If they do not have one I will certainly consider you mate.

Cheers for that.

normanh

Offer stands cos I know the problems as I once called out RAC for a similar problem, guy just looked and said did i want a tow to dealer. Never made an effort to read code. so the long and the short of it was I went out and ordered one from the states cos I didnt trust the local dealer who did the warranty work. Would suggest Thurrock Serices if you need help as I can get there pretty quick on most weekday evenings.

normanh

normanh

opps duplicated post

Anonymous

Cool, I will keep you posted.

Nothing seems to be different on the car, so may have to meet you in Lakeside or something.....

Once you read, what will the read out tell you? Does it come out with a code or the exact problem?

normanh

Simple code readout for which I have the standard list to translate the number to a fault. To date touch wood never had to use it myself. Takes but a few minutes to read! hardest job is pushing the plug in!!!  s:D :D s:D  

normanh

Anonymous

Haha good man....I will keep you posted.

Once again thank you for the offer.

Anonymous

Well i disconnected the battery last night and left it for 10mins, i then reconnected it all and the light has indeed gone.

I am not holding my breathe, so am just going to keep an eye on the thing and see what happens, hopefully I have got away with it just being the MAF sensor and not something pricey.

Will keep you posted....thanks for all your help and support guys.

Anonymous

*Update*

Bought a Gendan OBD2 reader and the fault code it diagnosed was 1781.
Nothing listed in the code database though. Any ideas?

When the MAF or O2 sensors need replacing does the warning light with the (!) come on or just the orange engine one?

Just my orange engine one is on. Listed in the manual as (F)
Manual says to check my fuel cap is tight and a couple of other things.

Please help.
Thanks again

normanh

Just found this list on the net

B1781 Mirror Driver Down Short To Ground

website  m http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php m

The code in found in one of the bodywork setups, might be the answer

normanh

Anonymous

A very helpful guy from Gendan had the following to say:

"The fault code P1781 on a Toyota MR2 Roadster is:
Gear Lever Switch - Malfunction
Check: Wiring, shift lever switch, ECM."

According to the American guys they've had the same problem and it calls for a ECM replacement. Hope my warranty will cover it if needs be! (not a mr. t one)

So, SMT guys if your car creeps a bit sometimes and doesnt want to go into gear (mine did it once), then it might be worthwhile taking it down to your local if its under warranty or it might cost you in the end.

Also all codes beginning with a 1 and not a 0 are manufacturer related so wont be listed on code databases!

normanh

Ahh that explains it the P which according to the list I found itemises P codes as Powertrain. worth knowing that code as its not generally listed

normanh

Anonymous

m http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/pdfs_T ... 13_0_1.pdf m

Is that any help? Got a tiny bit of info on it.

Anonymous

Thanks Matt, every bit helps.

Ill try inform the mechanic with everything I know and learn, I just hope the guy knows what he's doing when I hand my car over.

Somehow I get the feeling that not many people can work on an SMT even mr T takes ages to figure them out (but that doesnt really surprise me).

Anonymous

Ok, after a bout 10 times out in the car and now a long 2 hour run to Ashford the engine light has come back on.

What does everyone think??? Don't forget this has happened before, but after cleaning maf sensor and disconnecting battery it has disappeared for quite a long while.....

Any recommendations?

kanujunkie

10 to 1 its an o2, but you need to get the code read to make sure
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I am hoping it is as easy as that.

Shall I have a look at the sensor again, see if their is any build up? If not how much am I looking at for one of them?

I may talk to the chap that offered to meet with the reader.

Anonymous

I have recently had a new engine fitted by a non-Toyota garage after my big eng bearings went.  I have now also had my pre-cats removed and and my Engine light has come on. I have been driving the car with no problems at all.  The Garage had a reader but would not recognise any faults at all.  Does anyone have a J-spec reader that would be prepared to meet for a small fee or a 6 pack? Toyota have advised me that they would not be able to read either! I am really stuck and dont want to break my new engine. PLEASE HELP....

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  [/b]

spit

Toyota should be equipped with diagnostics that work on the J-Spec protocol too, so they should be able to read J-Spec faults. Unfortunately, not all MrT's have kept pace with their obligation to service import cars  s:? :? s:?

Sorry, no-one in the ROC has a J-Spec reader - we're still hunting down a sensibly-priced and viable option.

If your car drives OK and you fancy a trip over the bridge, try Protech in Nailsea, Bristol. They do full diagnostics, SVA prep etc on imports etc.

Their basic servicing starts at £45+VAT per hour .... but talk to them nicely and explain the problem and they may offer you a quick cash deal for a reading? I used them for SVA prep and they're wizards with the electronics.

01275 859955 Website
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Hi guys,

NormanH very nicely read my code on Sat. The code has come up with P0171 - Does anyone know what I need to buy? I presume one of the sensors needs to be changed.....If you have a model number that would be great.

Tags: