m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12480 m

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

either its telling the truth or you have an o2 sensor out of limits
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

When you say an 02 sensor out of limits what do you mean?

kanujunkie

a sensor can change, when they go wrong the output that it gives may vary one way or another

i.e. if the normal output was 2-3v for a sensor and the new output suddenly gave 1-2v or 3-4v, that could be said to be out of limits.

but please do remember that it could be telling the truth and you have another problem, say a blocked injector for example
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ok, what do you think is the best move from here?

Take it to toyota do you think?

markiii

swap the 02 sensor over and see if the code changes
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

and run some injector cleaner through as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ok, so should I just go ahead and buy a new sensor and then swap them over? Do you need a special tool to remove the sensors?

Anonymous

Anyone?

spit

Quote from: "Moreno"Ok, so should I just go ahead and buy a new sensor and then swap them over? Do you need a special tool to remove the sensors?

Tool is an O2 sensor removal tool - like this. You use it with a socket set (usually 3/8" drive).

I think Mark's suggestion was not to swap the O2 sensor for a new one but to swap the two existing sensors over to determine whether the code fault is down to sensor malfunction or a genuine lean problem on bank 1.

Smart money is on the sensor, but if you start simple with the tool you'll be able to confirm that and move on from there. No point in rushing out to buy a replacement sensor just yet.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Hope this helps.

ps slight topic drift - are you selling your '2 or continuing to mod it? I can't quite work it out from your signature line.  s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Ok, so best thing is to swap sensors over, see if the code changes to bank 2 from bank 1, then I suppose we know it is the sensor and not something else.

I will look into buying the tool, so thank you for that. I suppose I should also look into purchasing a reader off ebay.

Thanks for the info, thats a lot clearer buddy.

In terms of the 2, I am looking to sell in the next few months. I am looking at getting the alloys refurbed for the normal peeling and then will offer it on here at a good price. Why do you ask fella?

Tags: