18" Wheels! I Need Your Help People!!

Started by Anonymous, August 10, 2006, 12:28

Anonymous

hiya guys n girls, i know 17's would be a better option as people say but i am considering 18's for looks purposes.

does anyone have 18's on the there 2? what problems may occur and do they go on? etc etc

any info would be great

cheers

Anonymous

Dont do it, it'll ruin your car!!!!!!!! (imo)

And they look crap, like a roller skate.

Sorry bad day for me I am afraid, I'll stop posting.

Anonymous

do not do it ... if you plan to keep your car over 6 months.

Anonymous

has anyone got any pics of some mr2's with 18's on? the only reason for considering 18's is that i really like dished wheels and dont want 17's too look really small because of the style of them.

why would it ruin my car simos spyder? does it cause major probs? i used to have a 106 and after so many people telling me they wouldnt fit and it would handle like a bag of s##t i still went for them and they looked real nice, handled nicely and wasnt too much of a problem
need some advice peeps thanks

nick

northernalex

IMHO they will look ok, but will slow your car down as the wheels are heavier than stock and have a much greater moment of inertia (bigger wheels take more torque to move than smaller wheels)..
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

yeh i know smaller wheels would give a better drive i just would really love some 18's if they are not going to cause any major probs, on my last car i opted for 16's firstly as i was told 17's would be a no go and from the day i had them i wish i had gone 17's!!  s:( :( s:(

are there alot of issues with fitting them? or do they go straight on? was thinking of the rubber band 215/35/18 route as im not too fussed about the harshness of the bumps i take it real steady n e ways.

cheers
nick

Anonymous

These are 18's.

markiii

thers no such thing as a yes or no answer with the info you have given

depends on the offset, width and tyre choice

however I still reccomend you read this

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=12 m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Here are some disadvantages just IMHO

- You will have very slim tyres if you put 18 inches... that means that you alloys will get hurt very easily on many dumps
- If your car is stock, it will get slower
- If you car is stock, it will struggle to cope with the 18" (there is not enough horsepower for 18")
- You will lose Toyota Guarantee
- It is a small car in dimensions... putting 18" might look a small car with big wheels
- Price is way too expensive for both wheels and tyres

In other words, you car is to handle 16" alloys.... some people do 17" , ok.

But if you put 18", in general your car is not built to handle 18", so imagine yourself wearing a pair of shoes, that is 2 sizes bigger... you will struggle to walk!

I cannot express myself clearly, but I advice you to keep at least 17" and not 18". Besides that, it all depends on the design of the wheel. Some 17" look like 18" and some 18" look like 17"   s:D :D s:D  

All my talk is just in theory, as I've never tried 18", so someone who has installed 18" might give you the best answer.

philster_d

On a widebody kit 18's or even 19's are not unheard off.

I would consider 17 front and 18 back just to be different. But I have 17 all round in reality.

Oh yeah and most 17's people report some rubbing so that may be relavent too.

markiii

are we looking at a widebody?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

thanks for the info guys, its not got a widearch kit its standard with the optional extra toyota bodykit. i know that 18's are probably not the way to go its juts ive set my heart on a set of alloys that only come in 18's

they are 7.5x18's (4x100) offset 35 or 40 would run 215/35/18's with these (rubber bands), will also be lowered more than 30mm using coilovers. does any one have any experience of running 18's?

regards
nick

markiii

with those widths and offsettss I'd say you have bugger all chance of teh fronts fitting

add in a drop of more than 30mm and I doubt you will be able to actually turn the wheel without ripping teh wing off

the rears would normally be less of a problem but with that width drop and offset I think your pushing it there as well

if you after a pose car I don't think this is going to be it. I'm assuming your after a pose car because it sure won't be a drivers car if you manage to fit those.

red_leicester

18s must weigh ... 50% more than 15s.

And they look silly.

IMHO.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

red_leicester

To be a bit more constructive, don't you think 16s, or 17s, with lowered springs, will be low enough ?

There's lots of folk have gone for 16s/17s and lowering springs and seem pleased with the results.

Me, I've just bought four new 15s, and I'm still on the 'Inspector Gadget' springs.  My thinking about the wheels is that the MR2's strong point is it's handling (let's face it, in today's world the acceleration is not really 'fast' like it would have been 15 years ago), so why stick 17 or 18 inch wheels on which will only have a negative effect on the handling.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

LeeUK

I would say unless you are going to get a widebody kit then 17"s are the realistic limit.  You need to look at the car you are applying the wheels to as opposed to comparing sizes with focus' etc.

17"s are a decent size and with a bit of arch re-moulding, which I've done to both mine and Ekonas old cars the tyres will not rub (providing you get the correct offset etc) apart from when cornering very very hard, which we both experienced on the Elvington trackday.

18"s will ruin your chance to looking cool because they will look silly and will grind away at your arches, I would deffinately think they will melt your wallet too as the tyres will wear away with all the arch rubbing and you'll be forever on the mytyres website.  Also because you have no bounce in the tyres the first pot hole you hit will bend the rim, especially if you're going for the dish rim!

If I was to do it again, I would honestly not bother, probably re-spray the stock rims anthericite which looks cool.  At most I would go 16" front 17" rear.  But with too bigger rims you will loose the fun drivability of the car, the grip will increase if you get good toyos but you will loose the predicability and the handling will become snappy.  Introducing the ditch.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardsy"they are 7.5x18's (4x100) offset 35 or 40 would run 215/35/18's with these (rubber bands), will also be lowered more than 30mm using coilovers.

As well as all the above points (which I agree wholeheartedly with), there's also the issue of you running same-size tyres all round, which I presume you intend on doing as you've only mentioned one size of tyre in this thread.

DON'T DO IT.

As per Lee's last statement, you'll end up in a ditch if you enjoy driving the car (as opposed to using it for transport). IMHO (and also in experience) even 17"s are too much for this car: Toyota got it spot-on with the facelifted revamp putting 16"s on the rear and keeping 15" on the front.

VVT-i

Before i got my 17's I was talking to Yob Geevers (he runs Whiteline Flatout's operations up in Dalgety Bay.. yes, whiteline suspensins parts etc).. anyway, i asked him about 18" and he advised not to as the car wouldn't handle very well, and also, in his opinion, wouldn't look very nice.

Your choice, but as SimosSpyder has said, if you want to keep your car for more than 6 months don't do it.. you could easily end up in a crash if you are not very carefull... if you do it, you should keep the staggered set up on tyres sizes... larger tyres on the rear.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Steven Velocity

Hello from across the pond. this is my 1st post on your fine forum but I am a contributing member of SC. I thought I'd chime in because I was running 18s for a while on my black 2002. Here are some pics.

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewto ... c&start=30 m

I very rarely got any rub even over potholes and rough roads, but the car was slower. The acceleration and deceleration was very noticably slower and the car did not feel as nimble. When I finally ended up in a ditch (Actually I just spun out and slid backwards over a curb. Yes I was running the same size all around. This combined with the relatively low aspect ratio of the tires made the car unpredictable; I went from massive understeer to massive snap oversteer in a heartbeat.) those heavier, sturdier 18s didn't suffer any damage, nor did the tire go flat. The car was fine except for I did manage to bend a strut though, which was an excellent excuse to buy some TEIN SS coilovers. I personally probably won't run 18s again, (I prefer function over form and I'm not really into the bling bling look for this particular car) but if you do, run a wider 18 in the back than the front, or run a 17 up front and an 18 out back.

Oh, and keep your wits sharp...
 s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Steve
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

Anonymous

thanks for ure posts everyone great help and nice to hear from someone overseas who has ran 18's on the 2 before, cheers mate! 17's are probably the way forward for me then as 18's do seem to cause alot of problems.

can anyone advise me on the correct offset please. i will most probably go for a 7.5x17 using a 205/40/17 tyre as this is the usual tyre for a wheel/tyre package.

also looking for a dished wheel, maybe black/polished or gunmetal grey/polished and maybe a staggered fitment n e suggestions?

nick

Anonymous

Again, ignore the packages as you will need two different widths of tyre (pref 205 and 225).

evileye_wrx

I've been looking hard at 17 incher's recently   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Rochford Tyres will do a high performance upgrade for £50 and you get Toyo Proxes T1-S 205/40/ZR17 Front 215/40/ZR17 Rear. Seems rather reasonable.

I was talking to one guy (Ebay seller - Made of Metal)and he was having a lot of difficulty sourcing a 225/40 Toyo but suggested 205/ 40 Toyo on the front and 225/35 Continental tyre on the back. I thought you weren't supposed to mix tyre makes but obviously he didn't know that. He also wanted a shed load more money than had originally been discussed so I did not pursue the deal.

Anyways, have decided not to go for new alloys just yet but when I do Rochford's look like a good option.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

romoby

OK....i try to help you, Hardsy...

As you can see upstair, this is the pic of my car with 17 rims (205-40) front and 18 rims (215/35) on rear...

I'm agree with other people that have said that the 18" rims are exagerate for as...

However, i suggest you to put the 18" rims ONLY for the back, and only maximum a 225/35 r18 size (better if 215), if you have an stock engine...

In Italy I'm the first and the only that i fit this size with a regular documents: i know only another car (the famous White Veilside MR2) that put 18 rims all around, but with a bigger rubs (215/40 r18 front and 265/35 R 18) with a stock engine...and the car is STILL!!

Instead, i choise a very light wheels like OZ ULTRALEGGERA, and i have only some problem with the top speed (10 MPH less) for the moment...infact, i'm waiting for the engine swap!!  s:D :D s:D

Chris_h

That looks great in my opinion   s:D :D s:D  

regarding top speed, are you looking at GPS or the speedo?

I assume those 18's have a greater rolling circumference than standard, hence, you will be travelling faster than the speedo read. (I go that the right way round, didn't I?)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

romoby

Quote from: "Chris_h"I assume those 18's have a greater rolling circumference than standard, hence, you will be travelling faster than the speedo read

Right...may be!! But i don't had measured by GPS, only with run together a stock 2000 mrs...And i included the possibility that the speed read is influenced about a biggest rim....

Tags: