18" Wheels! I Need Your Help People!!

Started by Anonymous, August 10, 2006, 12:28

Anonymous

Was just reading through some old posts on suitable wheels for the 'two' and found this one.

I have to say that I ran 17's on both my old roadsters (same size wheels and tyres) with no trips into ditches or scary moments, including a turbo'd trip to spain with some powerful GT fours and had no handling problems.

My old neighber accompanied us to monaco and over to Italy through the mountains this year, also running 17's with same size tyres and he reported no handling problems at all (trying to keep up with my porker and a GT Four   s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   )

Likewise with the Porker it came with 16's or 17's originally as standard (dependant on age/model)  and i was running 19's, again no problems.

I have to say that yes handling will be affected, as with any suspension change etc, but it shouldnt be over played as a "dont do it , you'll end up in a ditch" situation, unless you are going to be running a track car, or drive by the edge of your pants every minute.
(assuming you actually know how to drive a car hard and dont expect experience to just come with the car   s:? :? s:?  )

Putting 19's on the porker made no noticable difference to performance that I can recall, but of course it had a 3.2 litre engine to carry it off, consequently if you were going turbo/SC/Engine swap then 17/18" should be happily compensated by the extra power/torque.

I also know dozens of gen 7 celica owners (140 and 190) who are running 18's with no performance problems and one of those was turbo'd and two supercharged.  albeit the handling issues would be different between the two and the celica.

Saying that theres not many 18's that would suit the small stature of the 'two' and they would defo have to be a good quality make  that were light weight preferablyot the likes of wolfrace slabs that weigh more than the car!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  . (IMHO)

There has to be something said for the look of a good deep dished wheel on a perfomance car tho, expecially if nice and wide at the back for extra grip, as long as you have the performance to carry it off of course   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

why not go for a set of 20's whilst your about it, we've got loads lying about at work  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

m http://www.theairlinehub.com/uploads/Un ... 47.arp.jpg m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

i would but the brakes to match are two expensive  (CF discs) Mmmm m  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  nster truck MR2 now theres a thought

Anonymous

18"....deep dished alloys.....extra wide at the back.... whatever could you be thinking about Perry?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

IMHO 18's look too big unless they're on a kitted car as above, even so I think they always look too big on the front. I think the Ultraleggeras look good in that photo and the 17 + 18 combination is really about the limit of what you want to go to unless of course you've got a widebody kit. With the kit above I'd have probably gone 17" all round - still looks awesome - see Spynish pics on Spyderchat and wheels won't be as heavy.

To summarise:

No body kit - 16's all round are good especially if car is lowered. 17's are OK depending upon wheel design, also look best if coupled with lowering springs. If you go bigger than this with no body kit the wheel size is out of proportion to the car and it ends up looking like a skateboard

Body kit eg TRD - 17's all round + lowering springs. I don't think you need to go any bigger. The effective increase in side depth of the car balances out the bigger wheels

Widebodykit - Things start getting silly here anyway so whatever you think.

All the above is not gospel just my self righteous opinion  s:P :P s:P

dreambackup

Romoby, your choice of a combo 18-17 is the best for looks. congratulation!

18" in the front is just too big: the front fender is too slim compared to the rear making the front rim look even bigger than the rear...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Yep....after countless nights of contemplation, i have decided to go 17-7 (205/40R17) fronts and 18-7.5 (225/35R18) rears. Reasons being:-

1)I want looks, performance is secondary and not utilised daily. Besides, i can always use the original stock 15/16 combo wheels on track days if i must.

2)Tyre sizes chosen maintain the preferred safety staggerred fitment widths to keep the rear gripping at all times.

3)I can get such a staggered set of rims at close to importer's prices.

4)Performance and handling aside, a sidewall aspect ratio of 45/50 just dun cut it anymore in today's aftermarket wheel upsizing scene.

romoby

Quote from: "dreambackup"Romoby, your choice of a combo 18-17 is the best for looks. congratulation!

18" in the front is just too big: the front fender is too slim compared to the rear making the front rim look even bigger than the rear...

TX!!!!
  s:D :D s:D  
Rob

markiii

Quote from: "S2077S"a sidewall aspect ratio of 45/50 just dun cut it anymore in today's aftermarket wheel upsizing scene.

cuts it just fine in the sportscar world though.
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: