Insurance (Again)

Started by filcee, October 16, 2003, 10:15

filcee

Yet more on Insurance.

First up, work is now asking people who take the cash (as opposed to the car) to sign up to various memos. on how the car will be used, maintained and insured.  This is a new one on me.

Anyway, I checked through what was required and 'phoned Norwich Union to check my policy was correct.  Now, I have always had my car insured for business use, I always declare that it will be used for business travel, and I always declare that I am an employed, as opposed to self-employed, person.  Guess what?  I have been insured for business use by a self-employed person.  And they wanted 40 quid to change to policy!  After a lengthy chat with the chap on the other end of the 'phone (who, clearly, was not in the UK) I managed to get the policy changed and the charge waived.  I did have to explain, a number of times, that I always declare these facts, and have to take NUs advise as they are the insureres so should know what is correct.  His reply?  "There are no notes on your account".  "Not my fault", says I, "if you haven't made a note of this, so it's your word against mine.  Can I speak to a supervisor please?"

Now these last few words - "Can I speak to a supervisor please?" - when dealing with a call centre always seem to work wonders.  It's like saying "Open Sesame".  Either you get to speak to someone who does know what is going on and how to fix it, or the bod at the end of the 'phone goes away to get some proper advice because you have just exited the pre-prepared script he or she was working from.

What I found out is:
Class 1 Business Use, appears to be for those who are self-empployed.
Class 2 Busniness Use appears to be for those who are employed.

Clearly, this is only applicable to people who use their car on business.

I may have to go back to using a broker, just so I have a face to talk to (sigh!)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Speaking to a supervisor seems to do wonders in most situations.  As you say, you get to talk to the organ grinder, rather than the monkey.

Slacey

Quote from: "filcee"What I found out is:
Class 1 Business Use, appears to be for those who are self-empployed.
Class 2 Busniness Use appears to be for those who are employed.
Hmmm. I'm not sure which mine is now, I'll have to take a look tonight. I am an employee of my own  (limited) company, albeit the only employee - I'm not sure whether they would class me as self-employed (I kind of am) or employed   s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

interesting.... i'll have to check mine.  we don't want them having a loop hole to wriggle through...   s:x :x s:x
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

my understanding is that class 2 is if you do business travel and are based from one site. Occasional travel to a diffeent place of work is cover by normal cover.

I have class one as my job is technically classed as sales and I'm field based.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

filcee

OK I have a base, and I do business travel.  The travel is hardly occasional though - it's at least 2 days a week, often more.  I might see my hot desk location once every 6 weeks or so.

My only defence is that I have done what my company has asked (I have paperwork to prove it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).  I could always let NU and the gaffer sort it out amongst themselves   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: