More Insurance - Swapping CD/radio player

Started by filcee, October 16, 2003, 10:25

filcee

Not sure if this in the right place - admins please move this thread if it shouldn't be here. (Ta.)

Does a new H/U require me to declare the changes to the insurance company?  Does it qualify as a mod?

Anyone with a swapped H/U help me out?  The potential extra cost of insurance might force me to stay with the Fisher Price model   s:( :( s:(
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

All my insurers have required me to declare a new H/U.

Anonymous

I think you are supposed to but in dont know anyone (apart from phil now!) that has done so.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"(apart from phil now!)

I always figured that as it was likely to get knicked... I'd rather have the money for the stereo than peanuts for the OEM unit.  Besides they never charged me any extra for declaring it (as long as it was worth less than £500).

Slacey

I declared mine in the recent insurance fiasco, and it didn't count as a mod and didn't contribute to the premium increase - others may be different though!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Bloke at work just had his stolen   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  twice in 3 weeks   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
He hadn't told the insurance company and they didn't care either.  Happily coughed up for two new ones.

J

Anonymous

I thought these sort of things where normally covered under "possesions" anyway, I was thinking of insuring the B2 in both my cars, but as its under £500 never bothered

Slacey

Anyhoo, does this mean there could be an install mini-meet soon?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

technically i suppose the answer is yes you should declare it - at the end of the day, its potentially more likely to get nicked, and if they know about it then that is one less loophole that can wriggle out of if you claim.

I never have with my previous h/u's, but as has been said these have been covered on the policy anyway....
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "Slacey"Anyhoo, does this mean there could be an install mini-meet soon?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Errrrrr ..... there's just the second hardest part to do now .... select the replacement H/U.

*Confession time*

I used to be a hi-fi freak, and have only recently got over it.  Sound quality will have to be good, even with MP3s at a sensible bit rate.

This could run for a while    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

GSB

Alpine.

Not too expensive, Less gimmicks than most, (Pioneer - What's the benifit of having bloody dolphins dance accross the display?), Plenty of on board power saving you the need to add weight and lose storage space with an amp, and MP3 playback that doesn't take an age to seek between tracks.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Not sure if this in the right place - admins please move this thread if it shouldn't be here. (Ta.)

Does a new H/U require me to declare the changes to the insurance company?  Does it qualify as a mod?

Anyone with a swapped H/U help me out?  The potential extra cost of insurance might force me to stay with the Fisher Price model   s:( :( s:(

Filcee,

I'd be very very surprised if your insurer considered changing the H/U to be a mod.  However, where you do need to be careful is with the policy limits.  Some insurers:  

a) dont provide any cover for the audio eqpt. itself if it isn't manufacturer's standard  

b) or as is more often the case there may be a limit on how much they'll pay to replace audio eqpt full stop.  So if you're thinking of an expensive piece of kit you might want to take a quick peek at your policy wording to see what cover you can expect.  <yawn>   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

HTH

Ray

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"MP3s at a sensible bit rate.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'd rather have one of those hard drive based systems and record music uncompressed than listen to the crappy sound that comes out of MP3 systems.

I agree with R2MUL, most insurers don't have a problem with audio equipment.  My insurance explicitly mentions "no modifications allowed except from audio equipment".

Anonymous

I declared mine to Elephant, they didn't charge another penny   s:D :D s:D

filcee

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "filcee"MP3s at a sensible bit rate.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'd rather have one of those hard drive based systems and record music uncompressed than listen to the crappy sound that comes out of MP3 systems.

Well, yes, so would I. (I think I said elsewhere that I'm a recovering hi-fi freak).  What I'm really after is an autochanger without all the added hassle of an autochanger, and the loss of luggage space.  I'm a recent convert to MP3, it's pretty handy for shifting a lot of music around in a small space (my hand-held & laptop, for example) and at least allows me the chance to listen to a lot of stuff when I'm not at home - which is pretty often.  As for sound quality, well, it's no worse than the compression Radio 1 applies to their broadcasts, as far as I can tell.

Besides, a car isn't the best place to listen to music.  I have the traffic news active pretty much all the time as a long distance driver, and the top is down for approx. half the year so you can't hear a blimmin' thing anyway.  In fact, I only put the hardtop on last weekend, so it's only now that I can truly appreciate the sound quality of Fisher Price kit   s:D :D s:D
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

filcee

Of course, Sony make an ATRAC3 capable hard disc based in car player too. (MEX-1HD, for those that are interested).

Now ATRAC3 ain't bad (as fas as compression goes) -it's the same technology that they used in MiniDisc players.

BUT, it is proprietary, therefore won't allow me to have a bunch of CDs with me that I can play from anything - unless I have the relevant Sony software.  Plus, when you have the software, it limits the number of copies you can make    s:( :( s:(  

Interestingly, there is also a CD slot in this thing, and that will play MP3s.

I couldn't work out from Sony's site if the Hard disk is removable, so you can hook it up to a PC, whizz the tracks down and label them using the Interent databases - which is always a handy thing to have (if you ask me).

Possibly one for the ckecklist anyways ... price permitting of course!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Plus, when you have the software, it limits the number of copies you can make    s:( :( s:(  

FWIW Sony's "Simple Burner" software will do CD -> Mindisc with no limits.

Anonymous

Hi,  thought i'd chip in a comment.

Theres an interesting H/U from Dension (RH101 i think) that has a Hard drive built in, its fully removable and even works as a portable player (however it is mains powered so not that portable).

it has a large screen and the support seems excellent (from what ive read anyway).  Also, T3 magazine gave it 5/5 and the beauty of it is the price, £399.99. Almost half the price of the Sony one.

Im thinking of getting one when ive got the funds.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: