17" Alloy Help

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2006, 16:03

Anonymous

Had a search through for related topics but couldnt find anything.
Im looking into getting a set of 17" alloys and i know absolutely nothing about them and wondering if someone could educate me please.

I know that they have an "et" size AND THE 205/45/15 is the tyre size.

What would i be best looking for (sizes etc) for a set of 17" with wider wheels on the back.

Thankyou for your help

Luke

scottish_turbo

Have a look at this

http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index.php?categoryid=9&p2_articleid=12

you could also have a look on spyderchat.com

there is loads on there - might take you months to read though!

BenF

One other thing to note - buy going for bigger alloys, you end up with less sidewall height.

As the suspension on the Roadster (and Earlier MR2s) is strut based, you need some sidewall and flex in order to het the best handling.

Shorter sidewalls will make the breakaway of grip much more rapid and the car won't handle quite as well as on the standard alloys.

As for Early vs late alloys - having tried both on a track, the earlier 15" rims all around give the most nicely balanced feel to the roadster. The later alloys give a little more understeer.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

hi Lukieboy,

Sorry late reply to your posting but only just found the info out. I brought my 17" alloys from  w www.potn.co.uk w  - £360 for alloys 17" with an ET of 45, price included locking nut bolts and delivery. Tyres where £240 - 204/45 front and 215/45 rear. The guys at potn knew their stuff and will advise you on the right specific size.

Cheers fella - see you over on the other side   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Cheers Jackass,
Was looking at  w www.topgear.co.uk w  's site as they have a distribution centre near me.  Will be looking into the allows in more detail after my holiday (end of this month) so i can guage my funds, but cheers.
Will have a nosey!    s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

I read the above URL information and I believe from what i've read that you should stick with factory sizes for better handling and accelaration.

Why people install 17" ??
Just for appearance ?

If you lower your car, dont 15 front / 16 rear looks  the perfect size for that small car?

By the way ... do you like something like this? This is what I'm thiking to install 15f/16r.

Tags: