MR2-DC Insurance

Started by Anonymous, October 16, 2003, 18:22

Anonymous

I'm waiting on a quote from Dorset Insurance / MR2-DC website partner.

Does anyone have any experience of them, what service the provide and what cover (or not) they include.

I noticed they have track day coverage as standard. Will this be limited to MR2-DC track days or can I tag onto the Lotus (or any other) track days at Knockhill in Scotland. Do you have to tell them in advance ?

Also, do they provide protected bonus scheme and what are the typical rates for a yearly premium......... what are you paying ?

cheers,
Puggman

markiii

any track day you want. But you must advise them in advance.

Cover includes any mods for no extra charge and they will cover the value of the mods as well.

Yes they will do protected bonus, but they won't tell you you'll need to ask.

£700 per year for me at 30 with class 1 business use.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I just received a quote from them

4 years no claims
Aged 30
Mods as in my sig escept for a short shifter I plan to add

.... £1020   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I nearly popped a ventricle. I know their insurance is not supposed to be cheap but it still seems high. No mention of what the excess is.

Anonymous

'More Than' have already quoted £410, so I don't want to pay much more than that for the track day coverage.

Puggman

zud

I can't remember exact figures, but they were £70 more than Direct Line for me (something like £490 v £560 both protected).  Apparently, they now reserve the right to charge for some mods, but I believe they didn't even charge for someone's (mph's?) turbo!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The cover also provides free breakdown cover, which nearly swung it for me, except my DL breakdown also covers my wife, whereas the DIG one only covers the '2.

DL still worked out cheapest, though DIG were easily second.  I almost wish I'd gone for the DIG policy now, but it might have got even more expensive... not sure I could have resisted a H&S exhaust if I'd had the DIG insurance!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

markiii

more than won't cover mods though.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I was really happy with the 'More Than' quote of £410 which included Legal cover, protected bonus, class 1 business use and instalment payments.

I didn't realize the MR2 DC insurance came with free breakdown cover. That should be worth about £30 alone and the Toyota 1st year breakdown cover ends at the start of next year.

I'm not that desperate to drive at track days, but I would go if I had the cover. I wouldn't want to pay any more than £50 extra for the privilege.

I also don't have any mods, except a retro fit hardtop, but this shouldn't increase the premium because it's only cosmetic.

So........ all being equal, I will go with MR2 DC if it's under £450ish.

I will keep you posted.

markiii

hadtop shouldn't affect the premium however is it insured for it's value? If not declared they may not pay out on it.

Liz

Better tell my insurance co about my hardtop then!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

MR2 DC do know about the hardtop.

I always let Insurance Companies know of any mods / extras, just to be on the save side.

Puggman

Chris

i'm paying £1070 with 3yrs NCB at 27, but with a rather large claim last year!!

They were about £90 more than my axa renewal quote, which I thought was a bargain, given the mods that I had planned and the track day coverage...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

They are always helpful when i've contacted them about adding mods/advising track days, but i've never had to claim off them yet, so can't comment on that part...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"i'm paying £1070 with 3yrs NCB at 27, but with a rather large claim last year!!

Hmmm... I am paying £1250 with 0 NCB at 28 and with a rather large claim in June!!!  AXA that is.

Anonymous

£930 at 25, 1 year NCB and a write off (my fault) 2 years ago this Christmas.

Anonymous

Just sorted my renewal with Toyota Insurance

£646 protected   s:D :D s:D  (5% discount from being in Toyota Club)

No extra premium for the TRD member braces I have or the quick shifter I am adding   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Result!

Would've liked to go with the MR2 DC insurance but just too much difference.

Anonymous

Having moved from DirectLine to the DIG/MR2DC scheme, I'm thoroughly satisfied. Yes, I'm paying about £50 a year more, but that provides all the extras already mentioned; 1-day trackday cover alone wipes out the difference if you want to take out extra cover as-you-go.

Also, remember that even declared mods are often not themselves insured with other companies; eg a declared aftermarket exhaust that gets damaged in a rear-end shunt may only get replaced with the OEM part.

And don't underestimate the value of the helpful staff at DIG; Sarah, Peter and David are the entire MR2 department I believe, and being able to have an ongoing dialogue with them personally is priceless, especially were you to have a complex claim (as I did with the droids at DirectLine). Being able to drop Sarah an email to notify a trackday, and get a response back in under 5 minutes, is invaluable.

Anonymous

Sounds great, but is are there any restrictions with the track cover ?

Do you have to pay the 1st 30% of any track claim etc

Puggman

Chris

not as far as i'm aware, there's nothing mentioned about it in my policy, but i haven't actually asked that particular question...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I am paying £1500 at 20 with NO NCB and a claim for £3000 last year in december in a low crime rated area.

mph

Quote from: "puggman"Sounds great, but is are there any restrictions with the track cover ?
They have provided no evidence, oral or written, that track cover extension has any additional restrictions over the standard policy wording.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

Now looks like it's between 'More Than' @ £410 and Dorset Insurance at ...........???? (still waiting on quote).

Directline came back with a renewal of £498, but not quite as bad as some who are paying over a grand. I think that I wouldn't have my MR2 if my insurance cost that much (well maybe not).

I do have a clean record with a full 9 years protected no-claims and live in Scotland, which accounts for the lowish quote.

cheers,
Puggman

Anonymous

Dorset Insurance quoted £585 with a £320 excess today, so it looks like 'MoreThan' will be getting my renewal.

Puggman

mph

Have you told Dorset of the other quote? They have been known to be flexible in the past.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: