Folding the roof down on a damp morning?

Started by Anonymous, October 17, 2003, 09:23

Anonymous

On these damp foggy mornings, is it OK to still fold the roof down?  The manual says to only fold the roof down when it is dry but I'm not going to get the hairdryer out at 7.00am.  What do you do?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

You don't. I leave the top up as the dew on mine makes it pretty much soaking. I don't want to run the risk of trapping moisture and making it all mouldy and stuff. If you REALLY need to get the roof of, maybe a shammy leather or some toweling might get the most of it off. But it won't be 100% dry. And even if you DID get the majority of the moisture off, with the moisture in the air and the cold temperature, it is more than likely to come back quite quickly. Engine heat might dry it when it is down though.......

Your risk mate. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If the manual says so, then it says it for a reason......

Let us know if you come up with a solution though!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

It will be fine as long as you dont leave it down all day to go mouldy. Be careful when putting it down though mine is b*tch when its wet have to push the glass to make it fold properly.

Anonymous

It's so frustrating on these lovely autumn mornings!!!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

John

Didnt see you post when I first replied. You dont need to worry about trapping the moisture. When the roof folds its outside fabric to outside fabric so that is exposed when you put the roof  back up and the 'compartment' that the roof folds into is a wet area anyway. When the roof is up the water that gets into it runs out of the drain holes. The warning is only there to stop muppets folding a wet roof and leaving it in the garage for a week and then wondering where all the mushrooms have come from!

Tem

I never bothered to Read The Friendly Manual, so I've been putting it down even when it's moist or wet. Haven't noticed anything wrong with it so far. It's not like I'd put it down and leave it down for days, I'm sure that would be asking for trouble. But putting it down, driving somewhere and lifting it up once you get there...I don't see why it would do any more harm than leaving the car outdoors overnight to gather the moisture in the first place.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Watch out for low tempertaures with these lovely clear autumn mornings.  If the roof is too cold you risk cracking it while folding it.  Be careful.

Anonymous

Ok then, I stand corrected!!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Top off tomorrow morning then!!!

Anonymous

Alternatively if you had a hard top, why not leave that on overnight and take it off in the morning? then you run no risk of damaging the roof at all.

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Watch out for low tempertaures with these lovely clear autumn mornings.  If the roof is too cold you risk cracking it while folding it.  Be careful.

I don't think the temp is much of an issue either. When it's cold, you'll notice that the roof is stiffer...just take it slow and don't force it. I've used mine below -5C/23F and it doesn't seem to mind. No cracks so far anyway...

Your last sentence pretty much sums it up though  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: