Hardtop and performance

Started by Anonymous, August 28, 2006, 10:11

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a hardtop for my MK3 and have read that many people think it "completely transforms the car." Other than being quieter and looking better, surely an extra 50kg so high up detracts quite severely from the car's performance? I'd be interested to hear what others have found before I go and spend a load of cash - even secondhand ones aren't cheap.

Many thanks

Al

spit

Depends on how you interpret performance. Yes its adding weight, but its very effective at tightening the car up and improving the handling. Not sure about the aerodynamic advantages but it has to be an improvement on softop or top-down motoring.

I've been adding bracing steadily over the past couple of years, but any time the hardtop has gone on its been a very noticeable improvement on the twisties and more stable at motorway speeds.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

filcee

Adding the hardtop after driving around all summer without it definitely makes mine feel different.  It seems to roll a bit more in the corners with the weight higher up (my '2 is bone stock).  Yes, it is quieter, and arguably a bit stiffer, though the roll in a stock set up may work to counteract any additional stiffness as a result of putting the lid on.    With the '2 feeding back as well as it does, there's certainly the feeling of something 'different' going on, so I feel as if I have to slightly modify my driving style initially to cope with the change - though I suspect that's probably more my imagination than anything else.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

spit

Thats a good point Phil ... it does change the characteristics of the car and requires a bit of learning when you switch.

Oh, & as for weight, I think you'll find its 50lbs (22.7kg) not 50kg.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "spit"Oh, & as for weight, I think you'll find its 50lbs (22.7kg) not 50kg.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

For a minute I thought I'm strong, lifting 50kg around myself...but you just had to spoil it!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "alexcday"Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a hardtop for my MK3 and have read that many people think it "completely transforms the car." Other than being quieter and looking better, surely an extra 50kg so high up detracts quite severely from the car's performance? I'd be interested to hear what others have found before I go and spend a load of cash - even secondhand ones aren't cheap.

Many thanks

Al

Hi,  Hard top it so good in the winter your think you got two car's and no change to the performance at all and looks very good to.
just think you got, hard top, soft top or no top

Gary stone

rtbiscuit

i'v just taken mine off this week as the sun seems to visit occasionally.

must admit the driving feels very different.

hardtop = very stiff setup, little more roll in the corners.

softtop = less body roll in the corners, more vertical feeling through the car, ie suspension going up and down.

no top = more independent suspension feeling i.e even with the FSB i feel the suspension over bumps get judders through the steering etc.

not as clear as i could be been a long day, this is about as much as i feel like writing. hope this makes sense.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

definitly yes! get one! it does improve the cars handling and i think looks kool aswell   s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

they should have made it a standard part for all 2's

thumbs up!

Anonymous

I love the hardtop on the car but what I was thinking is on the track would it be better on or off ?

rtbiscuit

its one of the things i love about the 2, its like owning 3 different cars.

with the roof on it feels more planted,

but with soft top on it feels more communicative

for tracking i wouldn't have the top down, unless you had some serious bracing under the car.

saying that i've never been on a track and could be miles off, i'm sure someone more track experienced will correct me.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

you might not be that far off!

alot on the guys on SC that do the autocross dont use hardtops, i think it is less is more!

kanujunkie

you can get the same handling effects as haveing a hardtop on the 2 with braceing. the TTE underbody brace with some form of braceing at the top of the car will give you a similar effect. Personally i have a one piece davids bars and a corkies plate, works well
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

I totally agree with Stu, I have the TTE underbody, and Cusco FSB and notice no difference with the hard top being off. It didn't roll much with the top on , as I have uprated ARBs, but the weight distribution must be slightly better. On a B road blast on saturday it felt so well balanced.
We talk a huge amount about getting more power on here, that is good too, but the advantages of a sweetly set up 2 should not be under estimated.
Bracing improves the 2 so much, it has to be worth quite a few horses, certainly nicer and easier to drive imho.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Do you want a red one - I have one for sale!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

rtbiscuit

you guys have no scrupals,

any oportunity to sell something to some one, and there is the gratuatus plug. (not using any names liz and phil)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

by the way, i'm saving up for some stuff for the car and wandered if anybody wanted to buy the following items,

-my soul
-my body
-my mind
-my DNA

open to offers

(or if the vultures are coming name what you want  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Previous cars:

loadswine

We already have your soul , it belongs to the club. ( said in a spine tingling Vincent Price voice)  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

rtbiscuit

true,

and the club also seems to have my wallet as well,

so still selling my body and mind!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Previous cars:

firepower

body and mind should be able to afford a new valve cap then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

rtbiscuit

got those already   s:D :D s:D  

thats a bit mean thought i might at least be able to afford a new TRD radiator cap

Previous cars:

firepower

sorry could'nt resist and your right i was mean im sure body and mind is worth more than a valve cap  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

mrsmr2

Good points:

Hardtop stiffens up the car a lot.  

Vibration through the steering wheel is significantly reduced.

The windscreen doesn't shake as much (something you only really notice after taking the hard top off).

Steering feels more precise.

Stock exhaust sounds much better in the car with the hardtop on.

Performance wise, I was neck and neck at Elvington with a softtopped 2 (which also had a Unichip) so not much in it.

The reason why it feels like it rolls more with the top on is because the body isn't flexing as much, which is absorbing some of the stress.

I can see the impact on steering from my track day videos.  With the softtop down, I can see me adjusting my steering going into a corner, with the hardtop on I look a lot smoother.  It's the result of less body flex.

Downsides

The car can seem more clinical with the hardtop on.  With the softtop there seems a tad more fun messing around with lifting off the throttle.  I think it's because there is a delay as the chassis stops flexing so it feels like it's reacting more.  

I always want to take it off if it's not raining.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

firepower

the only reason you should want a hard top for your 2 should be for the winter months not for better handling the whole point of the 2 is its a convertible i think you should look else were for handling performance like springs and chasis braces etc then even with the top down you will still be able to enjoy exellent handling , the tte chassis brace may even provide as much extra stiffening as a hard top

rtbiscuit

very true fire power,

i got mine for the winter to protect the soft top from frost and other nasty stuff.

took mine off at the weekend, now back to soft top. i foundover the winter their were several days when i wanted to drive home from work with the roff down but couldn't cos i had the hardtop.

the only other time i would put the hardtop on would be for security if i was going somewhere i didn't know and thought it a dodgy area. wouldn't want my soft top slashed by some opertunist pikey, who wanted to try my car for free.

(used to live in coventry, believe i was in the highest insurance bracket in the country at the time CV1) (used to leave the car bare when packed in the comunal carpark, cos if you left something in it, it wouldn't be there in the morning.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Previous cars:

filcee

Quote from: "firepower"the only reason you should want a hard top for your 2 should be for the winter months not for better handling the whole point of the 2 is its a convertible i think you should look else were for handling performance like springs and chasis braces etc then even with the top down you will still be able to enjoy exellent handling , the tte chassis brace may even provide as much extra stiffening as a hard top
I believe that WoodenDummy[1]  removed his soft-top in favour of a permanent hard-top because he thought the improvements were worth having.  Horses for courses, I suppose.

[1] Used to post here lots, but I think  has moved on to a VX220 so hasn't been seen here for a while
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

mrsmr2

Some of us bought an MR2 because it was a good handling car, cheap to run, and rear wheel drive.  Being able to take the roof down is an added bonus.

The hardtop improves the chassis strength no end and is not just for winter.

Having said that, I didn't put mine on at all this winter.  I would have done for the Bedford track day though (had it not been cancelled).

A bad thing about the hardtop is feeling how wobbly the car is after you take it off.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Tags: