Hardtop and performance

Started by Anonymous, August 28, 2006, 10:11

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"I believe that WoodenDummy[1]  removed his soft-top in favour of a permanent hard-top because he thought the improvements were worth having.  Horses for courses, I suppose

my views exactly!

firepower

why buy a convertible and then fit a hard top just to improve chassis and handling you may as well buy a coupe. the whole point of a convertible is so you can easily drop the top when the good weather comes, fit some good chassis braces and have the best of both worlds   s:D :D s:D
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

TBH i never bought the car for that reason and it never entered my head when buying the car!

i always thought convertibles were for poses and i still do   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

i loved the low down feel of the ride plus i thought at the time it was a nippy car and i liked the look! it was all about vanity!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

firepower

yes and the best way to pose is with the top down which is difficult to do with the hard top fitted  s:D :D s:D  

im not saying not to buy a hard top all im trying to say is that the hard tops main purpose is security and comfort in the winter anything else it provides is secondary so if you require a better handling car you should approach the mod differently

on the other hand the main purpose of chassis braces is to provide a more rigid chassis and better handling
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

philster_d

Mines looking good with the roof on at the moment. A bit more jap style.

Still need to work on my dad for this years storage arangements   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I think the softop is so good, leak free and easy to use, that the only reason I would consider a hard top is for security purposes.  The car is quite stiff anyway - have a quick drive of a Renault Megane Convertible and you will soon feel real scuttle shake - like driving a trifle on rollerskates.

I really like the fact that without a hard top you can put the top down at a moment's notice -- on a couple of really cold bright days mid Jan I did this - hat, scarf and gloves, heater on full  - fantastic.  

Mind you, I did initially want one with a hard top, but now not too bothered that I haven't got one.  There is also the storage problem to consider.

Tags: