TRD quick shifter first impressions

Started by Anonymous, October 18, 2003, 18:07

Anonymous

Just installed one so though I would add a few comments.

Not as easy to install (no English instructions) as I hoped but not technically complex - right angled phillips-head screwdriver, long nose pliers and 1/2" drive ratchet with 12mm socket needed.

No noticeable difference in height or position of stick from stock (this is the reason why I went with TRD shifter and not B&M).

However gives a nice rifle bolt action  s:D :D s:D  and a small reduction in throw as you would expect although it is heavier so requires more effort than stock shifter.

Got it for £137 from Fensport as I had a 10% discount from being in MR2DC.

Slacey

I have the B&M, and chose it for the exact opposite as you chose yours! Much shorter stick, and big reduction in the throw between gears. The only thing is that it looks odd in that it sits way to the left, looking at neutral like it should be in first, and in fifth looking like it should be in neutral! Love it to bits though, and really finishes off the driving experience for me.
Good price on that TRD shifter Lusaka, they were a lot more expensive when I was shopping for one 12 months ago.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

QuoteGood price on that TRD shifter

Yeah, unusual to find a part in the UK not that different in price from importing from the US    s:o :o s:o

I did email Hyeline Performance in Cardiff as they had them listed as cheaper than Fensport but they didn't reply!

I would definitely rate the whole shifter mod a worthwhile one with either brand and I think our 2 posts cover off the differences between the two nicely.

Slacey

Hopefully we can make a meet at the same time, I'd be interested in seeing the TRD 'in the flesh'   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Sam

Lusaka,

Did your TRD shifter come with a round TRD knob? Do you find that this doesn't go flush down against the leather hood?
I put the quickshifter in last month but have found that it looks a bit unfinished and rattles.

Cheers,
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

QuoteDid your TRD shifter come with a round TRD knob?

Yes. I put it on and found it had the gap with the hood. As the knob was screwed on tight, I reckon another rubber ring similar to the one under the leather hood may lift it high enough to remove the gap.

However I found the TRD knob too small and awkward let alone the issue with the unsightly gap so put the stock knob back which fitted back as good as the stock setup.

I am tempted by a Momo one but would need to be sure it would go on as well as the stock one.

QuoteHopefully we can make a meet at the same time, I'd be interested in seeing the TRD 'in the flesh'

Yeah, I would like to get along to a ROC meet as far I have only been to DC meets.

EDIT
I have no rattle so can't comment on that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sam"Lusaka,

Did your TRD shifter come with a round TRD knob? Do you find that this doesn't go flush down against the leather hood?
I put the quickshifter in last month but have found that it looks a bit unfinished and rattles.

Cheers,

I met similar problem. I can't recall exactly how I did it (1 yr ago) but remember having to:

1. Reposition the white plastic disc inside the boot to hold the chrome ring outside against the knob. The white disc can be easily dislodged from the stem and that is what happened and causes the rattle. I used a bit of UHU glue to keep it there.

2. Slide an amount of the boot thru the retaining ring slightly to match the new height.

I can take a pic of the end result if you want. Not sure if there's any gap now off hand, but the rattle is gone.

Sam

Quote from: "Willow"I can take a pic of the end result if you want. Not sure if there's any gap now off hand, but the rattle is gone.

Hi Willow, only just managed to log on this week! If you could take a pic that would be great. I do like the TRD knob but unless I can tidy the finish up I am going to ditch it.

Cheers,
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Tags: