Quick Unichip install question

Started by Two's Company, September 4, 2006, 18:33

Two's Company

I'm putting the Unichip back in after the MOT and I can't remember whether the lead for the switches plugs into the Unichip or the PnP harness.   s:? :? s:?  

Does anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

Two's Company

I figured that it must plug into the PnP harness while putting it back.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

Nicely done Steve ... Top thread   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just to get some mileage from this before I delete it, did you get your leaky driveshaft boot sorted? Did they treat you to a new joint or just the boot?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

Quote from: "spit"Nicely done Steve ... Top thread   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just to get some mileage from this before I delete it, did you get your leaky driveshaft boot sorted? Did they treat you to a new joint or just the boot?

Cheeky bugger   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Just a new boot, I didn't push for a new joint now I have the extended warranty to call upon   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

peppyuk

Why did you remove the Unichip for the MOT ?
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Two's Company

I read on here that it can increase emissions and lead to a fail.  For the sake of 10 mins I thought I might as well take it out.

Even with it out the limits for lambda sensor reading are between 0.97-1.03 and mine was 1.03.  Not sure if the unichip would affect this?

I drove around for a week with it out and the car feels like a yaris without it.   s:D :D s:D

GSB

MOT tests are looking specifically at closed loop fuel control, which the Unichip has no effect on. Unichip only affects the open loop map.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

spit

Quote from: "Two's Company"Cheeky bugger   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

OK I won;t delete it - there's some mileage in the 'chip/emissions debate and the boot business  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Hope they cleaned up all the cack that had sprayed onto the firewall/battery tray etc. ?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

Quote from: "spit"Hope they cleaned up all the cack that had sprayed onto the firewall/battery tray etc. ?

I haven't checked but I think I know the answer.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"MOT tests are looking specifically at closed loop fuel control, which the Unichip has no effect on. Unichip only affects the open loop map.

Would an MOT tester run the car until it was warm and running in closed loop? Or just crack on even if the car wasn't in closed loop?

Anonymous

Mine has just passed it's 1st MOT with the unichip plugged in. My  lambda reading was spot on.

Shouldn't effect things.

Two's Company

Cheers guys, I won't bother taking it out next year   s:D :D s:D

GSB

Quote from: "Matt"
Quote from: "GSB"MOT tests are looking specifically at closed loop fuel control, which the Unichip has no effect on. Unichip only affects the open loop map.

Would an MOT tester run the car until it was warm and running in closed loop? Or just crack on even if the car wasn't in closed loop?

It should be warm, but its up to you to make sure really.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Wasn't there an issue with the American programmed maps even in closed loop  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Chris

more than likely heath, as mine is an american map and failed it's first mot emissions test earlier this year, which maybe what two's company was aluding too...

either that or maybe the garage didn't wait until it was warm, if that makes a difference...  either way, i think i'll still be taking it out next year.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Chris"more than likely heath, as mine is an american map and failed it's first mot emissions test earlier this year, which maybe what two's company was aluding too...

either that or maybe the garage didn't wait until it was warm, if that makes a difference...  either way, i think i'll still be taking it out next year.
I took mine out for the first MOT but will maybe give it a go next time. I have a local friend who knows does MOT testing so may be a little more lenient  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: