How often do you oversteer?

Started by Ross_Curtis, September 5, 2006, 21:25

Ross_Curtis

Simple question really but how often during everyday driving do you get the rear end moving out of line?

Having come from a FWD hatch albiet a rather tail happy one (306 rallye) I'm really enjoying its ease of handling, getting the back out in 2nd is dead easy and in the dry (I've not been out in it since I got it when its wet) its soo predictable and controlable.  
Back to my question, I'll start it off! So far every time I've been out in it I've got the back sliding, even with the GF!

spit

During everyday driving - never. It just seems to squat and go where I point it.... apparently its something to do with old age and the right foot  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Had plenty of scares, but they've always been linked to slippy roads, duff alignment or loose bushes  s:? :? s:?  . More a loss of grip than an oversteer situation though.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

proeliator2001

I usuallly try to get the car sliding (4 wheels) on a roundabout near me and sometimes get the tail lose on a favourite corner, but like Ste said, mine is pretty hard to unstick.  I did enter a corner which I normally take at 40 at around 55 with a heavy hand and she slid and fishtailed a fair bit - heart in mouth moment - but it was my own bravado rather than slippy roads   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

I do it every single time I get a chance. On the proviso that there's no cars near me in case I cock it up, of course.

kanujunkie

i'm with Dan on this one, its a daily happening for me, when safe of course, i use oversteer and drifting as part of my normal driving now, but then with a turbo it is a hell of a lot easier to  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

interestingly its has become a lot easier to get sideways and a hell of a lot more controllable since fitting the TTE front and rear ARB's and droplinks

God i love this car  s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

At the weekend when she lets me drive it   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   So long as she is not with me that is, after all it is "her" car!!!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Ekona"I do it every single time I get a chance.

Then why didn't you when you took me for a spin? You were blaming "sticky tyres"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

With my '2 I find I have a bit of understeer. I suppose it comes down to removing the spare. Without that extra weight directly above the front axle some of the front end grip is removed. But that's the way I like driving. I like understeer. When the weather starts turning from mostly dry and warm, to cool and wet, I replace the spare I find that the car is a lot more precise, but not to the extent of giving oversteer.

I also have the Toyota optional extra rear wing. Now I know it is small, but I do believe that this must alter the air-flow enough to increase rear end downforce, even if it is by a small amount. And every time I clean my car the underside of the wing is filthy compared to the top side. So there is definately a low pressure area there. So low pressure on the underside and high pressure on the top = downforce.

I'd like to find a way of increasing the front end downforce a little. Something like the little "winglets" that you see on the front of DTM cars, or a decent front splitter. However I also know that increasing downforce enough at the front for cornering at low speed will reduce top speed.

Is there an answer?

dreambackup

depending on the mods you made, the car's natural understeer can disapear.

mine is now so stuck to the tarmac it needs to be badly provoqued to oversteer on dry surfaces.

unless it's very greasy or wet, it's better to forget about power slides!

at the limit, the natural undesteer is still here first and you have to have done something involving wrong mass transfer to make to rear go first...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"I do it every single time I get a chance. On the proviso that there's no cars near me in case I cock it up, of course.

I used to as well, coming out of right hand junctions on damp roads were my favourite, then the one time I was driving carefully because it was wet a bloody great tree decided to hit me  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

mrsmr2

Never.

I tend to drive it on the edge of understeer, feeling for grip at the front before accelerating.

If you want more oversteer, just increase the grip of the front wheels e.g. wider tyres.  I may be a wimp but I like my comfort zone of mild understeer so I'm sticking with the stock set up.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Ekona"I do it every single time I get a chance.
Then why didn't you when you took me for a spin?
Too much weight probably  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I hope you're not referring to me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Ekona"I hope you're not referring to me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah...like it's really gonna be me with the weight issue   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

'Least I'm not ugly. I can always diet.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"I hope you're not referring to me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No no, just the difference in having 2 in the car instead of the driver only. Losts more drifting/oversteer on your tod  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

edward.carter

Oi back on topic you 'orrible lot, call yourself moderators ! !   s:P :P s:P    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Nearly every morning especially when wet. out of side road, turnign right onto  main road back steps out next junction right turn too, tyres still cold! most small low speed islands too, my back left tyre got a bit less tread than back right  s:) :) s:)  sooooo much fun i love it!

Slacey

Never yet in the dry - I'm still learning the car, TBH I need a track or airfield to see what I can get away with. In the wet... well, that's a different matter altogether. You can easily see where the widowmaker reputation comes from  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Is it that bad, Sean? Bad as in really snappy?

Slacey

Bad as in any more than an inch or so of throttle travel will light the rears and send the back out - in first, second or third - and in a straight line! At least it always seems to throw to the right, so it's at least predictable  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I have to have a ride in this at the weekend!  s:D :D s:D

markiii

bagsy second in teh que  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Not sure what you guys are expecting... got me worried now!

Sure, it's quick as fuck in a straight line, but the handling is a tad.. er.. agricultural  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  The noise though   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

markiii

Quote from: "Slacey"Sure, it's quick as f**k in a straight line,

thats pretty much what we are expecting  :-) :-) :-)

I really hope it handles crap, that way I won't want one  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

The handling isn't crap, bear in mind it's still quite a small car, short wheelbase and light at a shade over 1000kg, it's just the rather solid steel frame chassis and basic (read 11 years old) suspension setup is a long way from the superb characteristics of the '2 & Elise etc...

But, that 5 litre V8 makes up for any shortcomings in the handling  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

Quote from: "Slacey"But, that 5 litre V8 makes up for any shortcomings in the handling  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

nah na nah na nah na I'm not listening to you  s:? :? s:?   must resist

Tags: