Injector problems

Started by TommyD, September 7, 2006, 11:43

TommyD

Looks like i am going to be stripping the engine down to find my persistant stalling problem this weekend. Changed the sparks now going to look at the injectors. Has anyone done this? Looking for some advice on removing the injectors - what to remove to do this safely and without petrol everywhere.

Also does anyone know the size and make of the Hass injectors - Sean, Dan, Mark?). Does anyone know of a good testing place to get them cleaned or checked and also a good place to get replacements if needed.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

aaronjb

Our fuel rail doesn't seem to hold a huge amount of pressure - when we did Dan's we just undid the couple of bolts that hold the rail (and wiring above it, IIRC) on and pulled the rail upward - you'll want a towel or two down there to soak up what dribbles out, though  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

TommyD

That is good to know. Would it be worth removing the relay to the fuel pump or EFI(where ever that is).
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

TommyD

or the STB and PCV?

SteveJ

Tommy,

As you havent posted previously on the subject of the stall, can you perhaps give us some more detail of when this happens?

I managed to make my Hass do this when I disconnected the recirc BOV control line - the car would start and idle, but if the throttle was closed whilst on boost and the revs allowed to drop to idle the engine stalled.

It's worth noting that I have the older setup with the MAF pre-turbo, whereas Mark has the retro-fitted the post-turbo MAF pipework and is running his car with the atmos BOV blanked (or disconnected - not sure which). Mark's car to my knowldege does not stall.

Where is your MAF located relative to the turbo?

markiii

some more info fro all

Toms kit is the old design with MAF preturbo

the Hass injectors are identical to those supplied by Monkeywrench (they are sold as 380cc) but rated at 420cc for our application due to the effective of our fuel pressure.

Aarron is correct ref teh fuel rail.

some more info on the stall itself would be useful.

have you tried injector cleaner?
looked for air leaks around teh MAF?
cleaned teh maf?
checked the plugs?

if your haven't already I'd check the black hose connecting teh BOV to teh intake, it gets quite brittle with heat and has a habit of splitting.

Mine was unnoticeable without close inspection.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

TommyD

It is one of the original pre turbo MAF setups. Its a problem I've had for some time, but very intermittantly. The car has been performing very well and then the next day it wont start, or it does start and then stops dead a mile away from home. I'll go back to it a day later and it starts again fine and then works perfectly until i need to fill it up with petrol. After which it will run fine, but the next day not start again. I have tried all the fuel, injector cleaner i can be bothered with. i have no obvious air leaks or loose connections, so want to look at the injectors. Also i had a big rather large bang the last time i started up and thought it may be a leaking injector or that the o ring had gone.

TommyD

Yep, cleaned the MAF and just put some new plugs in too

markiii

Tom this is teh same problem you had way back after we fitted it?

Since you hadn't mentioed it since I assumed all was well.

I suggest you disconnect the VSV solenoid from teh vaccum pipe, pluh the pipe with a bolt and cable tie it.

and seeif that helps.

teh fact that your reporting it seeming fuel related and it's after a fill up make this worth checking.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

The bang occurs due to the way the eManage cycles it's outputs at power-on - basically all of coil-packs get energised, then disconnected, causing a spark in each of the cylinders. If there is any residual fuel in the cylinders it will be ignited - not good if an intake valve is open and the throttle body is closed = poss shattered intake manifold.

**TIP - Before turning the ignition key, open the throttle, turn to second position, close throttle then start.

markiii

Quote from: "SteveJ"**TIP - Before turning the ignition key, open the throttle, turn to second position, close throttle then start.

aren't you glad I thought to tell you about that   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

TommyD

Mark, sorry can you explain which the VSV solenoid is

TommyD

Think the reason it went bang was because i had turned the key to start but had to wait for someone, then turned the key fully and BANG. Turned off everything in shock then tried starting again and heard a nastly rattly sound from the engine. Have tried again since and the rattly sound seems to have almost dissappeared but same stalling or no start problem. just dont tell me I've fried the engine  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

markiii

trace the boost pipe from the turbo wastegate it ends up at the left hand side of teh engine block about 6 inches further to teh back of the car than the oil cap

it has an in, an out and is a chunky piece of plastic dark tourquoise and red in colour.

It has an electrical plug connections and 2 hoses. one hose connects into teh boost reference pipe and teh other goes to teh hard pipe that runs around teh top edge of teh engine bay.

disconnect it from the boost pipe and plug teh empty hole in teh pipe.

the connection from teh valve can be left open in teh short term

markiii

Quote from: "TommyD"Think the reason it went bang was because i had turned the key to start but had to wait for someone, then turned the key fully and BANG. Turned off everything in shock then tried starting again and heard a nastly rattly sound from the engine. Have tried again since and the rattly sound seems to have almost dissappeared but same stalling or no start problem. just dont tell me I've fried the engine  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

if teh bang was too big you could have blown a hole in teh plastic intake manifold, thats exactly what Sean did.

was the bang before teh stalling problem started? or just coincidental?

TommyD

Purely coincidental. Ah the plastic manifold.....I remember that now.....where can I see that. Isn't that in a bad place?

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"if the bang was too big you could have blown a hole in the plastic intake manifold, thats exactly what Sean did.
The bang was indeed big and loud, but it fortunately didn't hole the intake manifold - it blew off one of the small vac feed pipes right at the back of the manifold. Mine wouldn't run at all after that though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

if you want to inspect the manifold the only real option is from below, and even then it's more toucjh than see

fine if you have a pit or a ramp, but bloody awkaward otherwise.

I'm not sure how sean got to his in the end

TommyD

Quote from: "markiii"6 inches further to the back of the car than the oil cap

Sounds like an awkward one to get to

TommyD

Quote from: "markiii"if you want to inspect the manifold the only real option is from below, and even then it's more toucjh than see

fine if you have a pit or a ramp, but bloody awkaward otherwise.

I'm not sure how sean got to his in the end

If there is a bit of plastic blown out or rattling around there, I guess it's best not to drive it until i can be sure

Slacey

If the car won't idle at all now, start with checking the vac connections on the intake manifold - get a torch round the back there and have a good look. If all are present and correct, start from the throttle body and work back along the IC piping looking for split / loose connections. If all still seems OK, then the plastic manifold is probably the issue - there have been a couple shatter in the US. As Mark mentioned, with the car on ramps you can get to enough of it from underneath to feel your way round for any holes.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

Quote from: "TommyD"

nah really easy

stand at teh back of teh car

look to teh left of the block and 6 inches closer to YOU

TommyD

Car starts and idles ok at the mo (though this hasn't always been the case), it seems to be when you want to move more that 100m that the spluttering and stalling occurs

TommyD

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "TommyD"

nah really easy

stand at the back of the car

look to the left of the block and 6 inches closer to YOU

Sorry mis-read you there thought you meant behind the oil cap

TommyD

So what does the VSV do?

Tags: