Injector problems

Started by TommyD, September 7, 2006, 11:43

Slacey

Quote from: "TommyD"Car starts and idles ok at the mo (though this hasn't always been the case), it seems to be when you want to move more that 100m that the spluttering and stalling occurs
OK, the manifold isn't holed then - it wouldn't idle at all if it was.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Quote from: "TommyD"So what does the VSV do?
It recirculates the petrol fumes from the fuel tank back into the intake (via the charcoal cannister) - this can be left to vent to atmosphere if needs be.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Which is pretty much how turbosteve's car is: The VSV is totally disconnected IIRC.

TommyD

How would this effect the running then?
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

Anonymous

It doesn't. Technically, it makes the car run a bit dirtier with regard to emissions, but not so that you'd ever notice (or would fail an MOT). Tbh I never got round to asking Thor exactly why they removed it, but it never did me any harm.

TommyD

When you say totally disconnected do you mean removed altogether or what Mark is suggesting?
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

markiii

in Dans case disconnected totally

if this solves the issue, we can disconnect it completely if you wish
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

TommyD

I'll try it and see. So how would this help the running of the car and put an end to stalling/not starting?

markiii

I'm thinking ref the comment that it seems to be more of an issue after you have filled up.

the VSV vents fuel vapour on start up, and there will be diffeerent levels when you fill up teh tank.

likewise although Jay leaves this in place, I wonder if Thor know something we don't? perhaps this solenoid doesn't like living with boost pressure on it's outlet when it wasn't designed that way?

out of teh all teh Hass kits, I reckon yours has done teh most miles in teh UK so it may just teh first to see an issue?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

TommyD

Update: Well I took the injectors out at the weekend and checked them all out, visually - ok, no o-ring probs. I did notice that the fuel rail bolts had worked a little loose, so maybe that was the problem I thought. I took the boost off from the VSV as mark suggested and plugged it. Put it all back together and hey presto ran like a beauty. 2 hours of driving not a hitch. Parked up for the night and went to go for a spin in the morning and nothing, wont start again. Had it been a little smaller the car would have been thrown out the window at this point. So I think I have now ruled out the VSV, pugs and injectors. My next thought is dodgy connection on the emanage or the fuel pump or relay is going. Any ideas as to where the relay is?

markiii

bugger was hoping that would fix it

when it won't start does it do anyting?

starter motor?
ignition splutter?

or just dead as a dodo

TommyD

Ignition splutter, not completely dead

TommyD

What gets me is that it will start completely fine another time - which leads me to think it is something electrical.

markiii

your still running at wastegate pressure?

if so disconnect the emanage and run without it for a week

it will run pig rich but will be safe

see if it still does it

TommyD

Still running wastegate. I guess it will be best to stay off boost as much as i can  s:D :D s:D

TommyD

Quick update. After the removal of the emanage - not an easy job with the sat-nav positioned over the 2 rear bins. The car started up first time. Idle was smooth (seemed smoother than with the emange). Anyway I only took a short trip to fish/chip shop and under 3500K. Engine seemed smooth and quiet. mmmmm

Tags: