EVEN more insurance! - CAI and Exhaust upgrade

Started by Anonymous, October 21, 2003, 19:30

Anonymous

Hi,

Im seriously thinking about going for the group-buy for the PPE CAI and so I called my insurance to see what the insurance increase would be for installing this upgrade.  To my horror   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   it was £77.95, and for an exhaust upgrade the same price applies.

Im with Bell Direct who gave me a fantastics quote but im very surprised it would cost me this much, does this sound right? How much did everyone else pay for their insurance increase?

Thanks in advance!

Slacey

After numerous calls and hassle with my insurance co., I eventually had to cancel my existing policy (they wouldn't caver the mods) and take out a new policy with an insurer who would - roughly a £100 increase, but I have quite a bit on the car.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I am with Toyota Insurance who have been good about my mods so far - no premium increases. I mentioned the possibility of adding the TRD sportivo suspension kit, they mentioned the possibility of a £300 increase in premium  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  - say no more.

If I get around to the sportivo I will have to look elsewhere for insurance.

Anonymous

Elephant want DOUBLE that for an exhaust and £150 for lowering springs lol. So that aint that bad.

Anonymous

I have Toyota insurance & pay nothing for all my mods     s:D :D s:D  

This year was about £400 F/C protected N/C/D........no too bad

Anonymous

I am 19 with a largish claim last year lol.
Toyota Insurance quoted me £5k lol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterboy"Im seriously thinking about going for the group-buy for the PPE CAI and so I called my insurance to see what the insurance increase would be for installing this upgrade.  To my horror   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   it was £77.95, and for an exhaust upgrade the same price applies.

When I was with DirectLine a while ago, and added an Apexi intake, they quoted (about) £60. I then asked "what if I also add a TTE exhaust in a couple of months?" - "Another £60" came the reply.

"So what if I declare both now?" (and just not bother with the TTE straight away) - "The same sir, £60". Uh huh... So that'll be the basic admin fee for re-issuing a schedule then. I declared both, paid one £60, and did the mods in two stages.

Mind you, then I told DirectLine where to stick there sh*# service, gladly moved to Dorset/MR2DC, and never looked back (or paid another penny...)

juansolo

You know I find it very amusing that insurance companies go all moist at the thought of charging you for 'performance mods' like a CAI or exhaust that alone will be lucky to yield 1 or 2 hp, yet you can slap on a set of Yoko A032R's that will make your car dramatically faster (around corners and under braking) yet they wouldn't bat an eyelid.  As long as the speed rating matches or exceeds what the manufacturer recommends, they couldn't give a stuff.  Complete madness!
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Ummmmm, doesn't anyone here insure with the MR2 policy at DIG?

Anonymous

Quote from: "jag"Ummmmm, doesn't anyone here insure with the MR2 policy at DIG?

yes they do... but a lot of us didnt know about it when we first got our '2 (or their quotes were not that good). I will be trying them next year and if they are any good then i will be slapping a H&S exhaust & APEXI filter on my car right away!   s:D :D s:D

juansolo

Quoted me silly money.  Went with Tesco's instead for £430.  No track cover though  s:( :( s:(
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Jap GT300

I am with NICS (Trade Insurers) I have a Third party policy which is Japanese specific.  This means I am covered on twin turbo engines, however I only have cover for vehicles up to 3499cc and the vehicle has to have 8 cylinders or below!

The premium is £3800, also the car is covered from when it arrives in the country and to the condition of the vehicles state when it left the orginating country.

So basically any mod go's (bring on the engine swap)

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Quoted me silly money.  Went with Tesco's instead for £430.  No track cover though  s:( :( s:(

This does often seem to happen; for some bizarre reason, DIG's system seems to throw out pseudo-random quotes now and again. It's worth querying it though; they usually re-run the quote, and come up with a far more sensible figure, even trying to price-match if they reasonably can.

Tags: