Tyre pressures....what a difference!

Started by danwebster, October 14, 2006, 18:15

danwebster

After doing about 70 miles in my new MR2 I realised i should check the pressures in the tyres. It had 4 new boots on it yesterday just before I picked it up and I foolishly thought the dealer would have set them correctly.

In actual fact I had 22 and 24 in the rears, 30 and 32 in the fronts. Almost the opposite of the quoted figures in the book, so I corrected them and it has transformed the car. Its now much more lively, much more like I remembered from the test drive.

Moral of the story is, check your tyre pressures   s:) :) s:)

spit

Sound advice Dan.

This is probably the quickest and cheapest performance mod for a '2  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

heathstimpson

When you have driven a 2 for a while you can tell if any tyre has even slightly deflated by 1 or 2 Psig from the alteration in handling  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

What should the settings be??

Anonymous

Thats strange, I picked mine up a few weeks back and that had he pressures almost exactly reversed too! and your right, WOW what a difference it made. totally different car!

Anonymous

Are these dealers trying to get you guys to crash your cars or what?

heathstimpson

I think we need to run a pole of dealers that actually put the correct pressure in the tyres when your beloved 2 goes in for some work; I would guess none get it right  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

enid_b

if these pressures are so critical along with correct stepping/sizes of tires, is there a warning somewhere that would alert the not so savvy owner? or are the majority of folk left to find out the hard way?

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I think we need to run a pole of dealers that actually put the correct pressure in the tyres when your beloved 2 goes in for some work; I would guess none get it right  s:? :? s:?

Mine came out from a service correct. Having said that they went in correct - well at least they were a couple of weeks before.

Not sure if that tells me they are a good garage, or a cr*p one
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

<edit> - double post
Roger

aaronjb

Quote from: "enid_b"if these pressures are so critical along with correct stepping/sizes of tires, is there a warning somewhere that would alert the not so savvy owner? or are the majority of folk left to find out the hard way?

The original sizes & pressures are printed in the owners manual that comes with the car - what more should a car manufacturer do?

When it comes to modifications it's a case of caveat emptor - if you don't understand the implications of a modification, don't do it - or understand that you're doing it at your own risk.

The onus to perform basic routine checks on your car should always be on the owner and driver.

Society already absolves people of too much of the responsibility they should be taking for their own actions as it is, IMHO.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"The original sizes & pressures are printed in the owners manual that comes with the car

Also on a sticker in the glovebox for quick and convenient reference.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Richie"Also on a sticker in the glovebox for quick and convenient reference.

Apparently that's what else manufacturers should do, then  s;) ;) s;)

I've never spotted that sticker (but then I've never gone looking) - I'll have a look next time I'm in the car I think.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Richie"Also on a sticker in the glovebox for quick and convenient reference.

Apparently that's what else manufacturers should do, then  s;) ;) s;)

I've never spotted that sticker (but then I've never gone looking) - I'll have a look next time I'm in the car I think.

what I never added is that if your glovebox is full of guff (e.g. cds, mcdonalds napkins, etc) you probably wouldn't notice it without removing said contents from the glovebox!

maybe not that convenient then...

spit

On the MR-S you can't miss it - the sticker is on the door pillar.

I'm still trying to translate the ones embossed into the sun visors though .... hope they're nothing important  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"hope they're nothing important  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

OMG, you don't know   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

To late now then you've prob done it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrsmr2

Mine came out with wrong pressures twice from the same dealer.

I told them to get it right the last time I took mine in.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Tyre fit companies are the worst. They seem to inflate everything to 32-34 psi regardless.

red_leicester

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"I think we need to run a pole of dealers that actually put the correct pressure in the tyres when your beloved 2 goes in for some work; I would guess none get it right  s:? :? s:?

Mine came out from a service correct. Having said that they went in correct - well at least they were a couple of weeks before.

Same here!
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Most guys I've been to have inflated the wheels to 32 psi but all but one of them have told me when I collected the car, I'm happy enough once they say it to you.

red_leicester

Quote from: "kj"I'm happy enough once they say it to you.

Really?

Is it too much trouble for them to get it right ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

I've seen plenty of posts on here asking what pressure to run, If owners can't be bothered to have a look, I don't expect tyre fitters or alignment guys to either.

(yes I know I once posted asking the same question   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but I think it was for 17"s)

roger

Quote from: "spit"I'm still trying to translate the ones embossed into the sun visors though .... hope they're nothing important  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Something about not putting child restraints in the back seats....if I remember correctly from a SC thread   s:? :? s:?
Roger

NeilC

I have been putting 26 in rear n 28 in front, new so advice appreciated, ta much

dcod

Quote from: "NeilC"I have been putting 26 in rear n 28 in front, new so advice appreciated, ta much

Firstly don't you mean 26 in front and 28 in rear?

Secondly, what tyres do you have. I have Toyo Proxy T1R's and use 26 in the front and 36 in the rear (thanks to another member   s:D :D s:D  )
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Tags: