Tyre pressures....what a difference!

Started by danwebster, October 14, 2006, 18:15

NeilC

your gonna luv this - not... nope def 26rear n 28 front, also tyres as was when bought n are infinity on front, federal n maxxis on rear. Me thinks i know even less than i thought aaagghhhh

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "NeilC"your gonna love this - not... nope def 26rear n 28 front, also tyres as was when bought n are infinity on front, federal n maxxis on rear. Me thinks i know even less than i thought aaagghhhh

Um   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Mixed tyres on the 2 is bad doodoo ... but not impossible.
No name ditch finders are extremely bad doodoo!

Your pressures are way off ... remember the engine is at the back and therefore so is the majority of the weight!
What tyre sizes are you running?

I'm thinking you need to look at trying 26 front and 36 back then adjust till you find the best combination.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

NeilC

185/55r1582v on front and 205/50r1586v on rear, oh hell !!!  must adjust asap,,  ta for advice, us newbies must drive u nuts lol

dcod

Quote from: "NeilC"us newbies must drive u nuts lol

I did my best ... and still trying   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

xsarahx

Mine are 26 front 32 rear, it once came back to me from a garage with 34 front and 29 rear, like someone said previously when you are used to driving a '2 you can tell when they are over or under by the handling.
Previously owned - RED edition, 54 plate, red calipers,  jdm nose badge, de-badged rear............That is all \":)\"

Dac

You'd be surprised how they will change over 4 months or so. A brand new tyre can lose 4 PSI in that time quite easily not to mention the change in temperatures from Summer to Winter.

iPap

Quote from: "Dac"You'd be surprised how they will change over 4 months or so. A brand new tyre can lose 4 PSI in that time quite easily not to mention the change in temperatures from Summer to Winter.

I check mine weekly or more often, you'd be surprised what fast cornering does to pressures!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

PeteT

Quote from: "Dac"You'd be surprised how they will change over 4 months or so. A brand new tyre can lose 4 PSI in that time quite easily not to mention the change in temperatures from Summer to Winter.

I have a tpms and i am seeing the psi dropping in the mornings with the colder weather. So check your tyres!
Pete

Dac

This is exactly the reason why they use Nitrogen in high performance cars because it's volume changes less with temperature.

Bernie

Quote from: "xsarahx"Mine are 26 front 32 rear, it once came back to me from a garage with 34 front and 29 rear, like someone said previously when you are used to driving a '2 you can tell when they are over or under by the handling.

Ditto as handbook, its in there for a reason !

2psi more makes a hell of a difference, for the worse, on the handling for me
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

NeilC

put 26 in front n 34 in rear just as a tester, seems ok, ta all for help !!!!

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Dac"This is exactly the reason why they use Nitrogen in high performance cars because it's volume changes less with temperature.
I never did find out how they get rid of the air already in the tyre when they do this at the local Kwik Fit...
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

2 of the left

Toyo TR1 Front 26   Rear 32 as per the manual!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "2 of the left"Toyo TR1 Front 26   Rear 32 as per the manual!!

With the Toyos you might want to increase the rears to 36 ... you will notice a difference you might like   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "Dac"This is exactly the reason why they use Nitrogen in high performance cars because it's volume changes less with temperature.
I never did find out how they get rid of the air already in the tyre when they do this at the local Kwik Fit...

short answer they don't

in my experience its still worthwhile, but its not giving you 100% of the benefit, and there is an argument that any benefit is so small you won't notice it.

For me at £1 per tyre, why not
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

jonty

some wheels have twin valves so you can purge fully- such as 949 racing 6UL (IIRC) as the autocross chaps in the states are keen on this.

CO^2 is also used by some race teams- that was one of the 'secrets' that McLaren had procurred from Ferrari in the spying scandal

2 of the left

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "2 of the left"Toyo TR1 Front 26   Rear 32 as per the manual!!

With the Toyos you might want to increase the rears to 36 ... you will notice a difference you might like   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I'll give it a go

2 of the left

Have upped the psi's now have 27 up front - 36 at rear - a definite difference for the better!! Thanks Wabbitkiller!

Mr_Dav

Hi all,

Thought I might post this here rather than start a new thread as its pressure related.

Just wondered what you guys thought the idea of me purposely changing my pressures. I'm about to embark the long (ish) xmas journey up north and will be spending a pleasant / boring 5 hours predominantly on the motorway. sigh.

Anyway, I normally keep my tyres at 26 front and 32 rear (bridgestones) as recommended by the handbook and you, and I was just wondering whether upping the pressures will provide a more noticeable economic journey. I was tempting to maybe go 30 front and 36 rear, just as an experiment, as I know you can give up a lot efficiency to the road with less pressures. The journey is for transport only only and I wont be hammering around corners or testing the 2's capability to handle.

Few points:-
1. Am I mad?   s:) :) s:)  
2. Has anyone else done anything similar for long tedious runs?
3. Its not like I'm desperate for cash, just curious whether the experiment works/ or is even worth it.

Over to you .....

mrzwei

Because you are keeping the pressure stagger and it's not a massive change then I would not see a problem.
You really need some form of control though to measure any difference in fuel consumption
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

ChrisGB

You might save a tiny bit of fuel, but you will also start up an uneven wear pattern on the tyres, so most likely will end up not actually saving any money. Meanwhile the car will be harsh to drive and possibly more affected by crosswinds. If the worst happens and you need to take urgent avoiding action, your car may not respond as it should. IMO, not worth it.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Mr_Dav

Well, I did it.

If anything, my tires now feel more 'twitchy'. Definitely slippy cornering and feels like Im on ice when cornering generally!

Mr_Dav

Well, I did it.

If anything, my tires now feel more 'twitchy'. Definitely slippy cornering and feels like Im on ice when cornering generally!

Chris H

So Good,......he had to say it twice..........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

woolleydick

Mine arrived from uk with 38 all round - not a good setup especially as our roads are either potholed nightmares or skidpan slicks.
Now corrected.
Common sense is merely what is obvious to you, and that you assume should be obvious to everyone else...

Tags: