Anybody succesfully fitted HID kit to 2003 rev?

Started by ChrisGB, October 25, 2006, 17:30

ChrisGB

Quote from: "mkawada"How do you know what cars need the bulb base adapter?  Why in the world are there two different H7 bulb bases?!     s:? :? s:?  

Can any facelift Spyder owners confirm which brand kits they have that required no base modify?    s:?: :?: s:?:

Hi

There is only one bulb base for H7. The adapter is a fitting that the bulb plugs into to help locate it in the headlamp shell. I think some VAG cars use the same sort of arrangement.

It would appear that some HID kits have the adapter already inclided and others dont. IT would also appear that suppliers are a bit variable so some kits have and soe not from the same manufacturer. Headahche for me at the mo.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Hi

There is only one bulb base for H7. The adapter is a fitting that the bulb plugs into to help locate it in the headlamp shell. I think some VAG cars use the same sort of arrangement.

It would appear that some HID kits have the adapter already inclided and others dont. IT would also appear that suppliers are a bit variable so some kits have and soe not from the same manufacturer. Headahche for me at the mo.

Chris

Is the adapter part of the base, or separate?  

Is the adapter necessary, or just to help to "better" position the bulb?  What a pain.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mkawada"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Hi

Chris

Is the adapter part of the base, or separate?  

Is the adapter necessary, or just to help to "better" position the bulb?  What a pain.

In my experience of aftermarket HID kits then yes, this adapter would be required.

If for no other reason than to secure the bulb and eliminate the intensely annoying flicker given off by bulbs that aren't located firmly in the headlamp. Even the vibration of a car at tick over is enough to shake the bulb and distort the light produced, a case of a tiny amount of movement being amplified a thousand times unfortunately.

Anonymous

Thanks.  I've been browsing eBay for HID kits for a while.  There does seem to be a difference in the pictures for some kits.  Some H7 bulbs have an extra piece (looks like it can slide up and down the wires) at the base.  

How unfortunate that we Spyder owners can't simply install the "universal fit" kits because of this issue.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "mkawada"Thanks.  I've been browsing eBay for HID kits for a while.  There does seem to be a difference in the pictures for some kits.  Some H7 bulbs have an extra piece (looks like it can slide up and down the wires) at the base.  

How unfortunate that we Spyder owners can't simply install the "universal fit" kits because of this issue.

There are some kits that do have the adapter (it is seperate to the normal H7 bulb and is part of the headlamp assembly) and some kits that do not. The Ebay supplier I bought from photographed a bulb for me which had the adapter, but when he actually supplied, the kit did not have it. I assume his supplier changed what was in the box on the new batch he bought. (box is branded HID Cool).

I was going to adapt, but as the supplier has sent me goods not as advised, (and the wrong colour temp too) I am probably going for a refund.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

This may be of interest to anyone with a post facelift who wants to upgrade to HID

HID kit GB over on spyderchat. It seems quite a few people have fitted these to their cars in a plug and play fashion with no need for major surgery.

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36287&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

davidhowson

They look OK, but (and this is a big BUT) they are old kits with separate starters and ballast units, although the starter is decribed as a safety relay??. This is where I started and found the starters were trouble and prone to failure.
My recommendation would be to go for the newer and much neater combined starter & ballast.
The price isn't that good either at $195. Shop around and you can find better kits.
David

Anonymous

Just thought it might be of interest as it is known to fit our car unlike most other kits due to the mounting plate/bracket/thing problem

Anonymous

BTW Chris, is this the kit you have got:

The SuperVision II 6000K HID Kit for $199

http://www.hid-lights.com/

Anonymous

Since my last post, I purchased the PILOT 4300 H7 kit off eBay for my 2003.  Total cost was US $195 with the special H7 base (which you MUST specify).  However, even with the special base, it required slight modification to properly fit.  Without the special base, you'd have to completely fabricate your own base though.  

The kit consists of an integrated starter/ballast.  No relay.  It plugs directly into the OEM connectors.

The HIDs have not given me any problems *knock on wood*.  I always start the car and THEN turn on the lights a few moments later--someone said if you turn them on before starting the car the ballast will make a horrible noise.  Anyway, it takes maybe 30 seconds to fully illuminate (from blue to white).  There is NO blue whatsoever once warmed up (these are 4300, not 6000).

The light appears significantly brighter on the rear bumpers of the cars in front.  If you stand directly in front of the car the reflection of the light off the lower part of the headlight is almost blinding.  This is probably the light that illuminates signs directly above and in front.  I am fairly sure it doesn't blind oncoming passengers!!

One problem: My right-side (US passenger-side) headlight had a broken tab (now fixed with Plast-Aid) so the beam pattern is a little off.  A slight adjustment should take care of that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mkawada"However, even with the special base, it required slight modification to properly fit.

Do you have an ebay link and what do you mean by slight modification - just a little shaving of plastic or minor surgery?

Anonymous

m http://stores.ebay.com/pipi-stuff168 m

The seller informed me that the bulbs are Japanese and the ballasts/starters are Chinese.  Seller's communication is extremely quick!  

Regarding the slight modification: it was very minor (requires a blade/scissors).  The parts that made the kit water-resistant had to be removed so it could properly fit into the housing.  Takes a couple minutes to modify it.

m0jo

Bummmmpfff

where did you guys get your supply from on the front of the car??

i only want to try them ensure it works
MR2 MK3 (import) - TRD Kit other mods pending

normanh

Spoke to a mate who does this full time and he was saying parts for 2 H4 setups are about £250, seems an expensive mod to me. Bulbs have a good life span seems power packs can be more of a problem.

normanh

ChrisGB

I was not able to source a direct fit kit and also found out quite a few potential pitfalls of aftermarket HID kits. As a result, I ended up fitting Philips Xtreme bulbs in the H7 dipped beam units. These made a significant improvement in light output. For mains I fitted toshiba HIR 9011 bulbs. These needed slight modification to fit, but the light output is amazing. Way brighter than 130W bulbs I have used in other cars, but standard current draw.

Upgraded lighting with no hassle  s8) 8) s8)

davidhowson

This is a thread for the past!
I have been running with my HID kit for best part of three years with not a single problem. It took an age to fit and I remember having to do something with the base of the bulb to make it fit properly but as to what I did, I can't recall and I'm not prepared to go looking in case I foul up the settings!! Sorry.
I friend of mine has just bought a set of the slim-line ballast HID's of ebay for his C70 Volvo and he paid £70 for them; I have to say that it is a fantasitc kit and works very well on his super fussy Volvo. I will ask which seller he got them from.
-David-

Tags: