A big hello & a little advice.

Started by Anonymous, November 14, 2006, 15:36

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  Just like to say hello to everyone, i've been on the site for about 2 months now and, thought it was about time i came out of the woods.

My original choice was an elise but pound for pound the 2 is the better choice. Pure cheezy grin factor for less hassle and running costs.

Just had the main service done, 82k on the clock. Service showed up leaking rear shock, would anyone know if its better to replace both, if so i may upgrade to better ones than stock or are stock good enough?

Cars rolling on three avon tyres (poo mungus) and one dunlop sp 2000 which has loads of tread. Thinking of either filling the other 3 corners with dunlops or going for toyo T1-R's all round. I've checked the net and basically the 3 dunnys cost around the same as 4 toyos. I've read the forums on the subject of rubber and quite a wide and varied opinon. As i'm concerned about safety in the wet but wouldn't mind a bit of back b-road antics any ideas on which are the better of the two?

Just upgraded my heater dials to 03 and plazzy crome rings from mr T, for around £20, must say it adds a touch of class without looking chavtastic. Next upgrading airfilter as the stock one is goffing and one of them pipe thingeys, so if anyone has one for sale let me know.

PS doze anyone know of a decent garage in th NW ie merseyside/cheshire area for removal of the dreaded precats.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I will buy one of your trend mousemats once i sort out my paypal ac. I dont have a mouse, but i can always use it to rest my elbow on when i'm looking under my 2 for future upgrades. (upstairs for thinking)  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

It's a great forum. Kind regards, John.

red_leicester

Parking sensor?!  That's the first time I've heard of a 2 with one of them!

Hello, by the way   s:D :D s:D
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Welcome to the forum buddy,
I'm sure you will soon see plenty of response.
I personally can vouch for the Toyo's in the wet so I'd say go with those (although I have no reference against the Dunlops!)
I think there is a group buy for a PPE intake which needs filling and I can highly recommend that as a replacement for your air filter.

NW garage; Burnley Car Audio pulled out my pre-cats, no probs, there should be a sticky thread in the mods forum listing other garages.

Enjoy the forum!

kanujunkie

Hi John and welcome to the club  s:D :D s:D  

we cant stress enough how you need to sort those tyres out asap, up to you which way to go, i've been running T1-R's for a while now, they're an excellent tyre and damn cheap if you adjust the sizes a bit. Last set i bought was £265 fitted.

i hope you have deep pockets, hang round here long enough and they soon get emptied  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

enjoy
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Hi John.

If you're going to replace the leaky rear shock, do them as a pair to avoid any handling surprises. There are other options for all four corners - either just shocks or springs too - worth considering on your mileage.

For example, the Teins height and damper-adjustable kits (D-Tweeks will do them for 800 quid all-in if you ask for Steve and tell them you're ROC. Hypersports in Wigan confirmed to me this week that they'll beat that price for ROC members  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Koni inserts are also an option, but you'll need new top-mounts too and a bit of surgery on the stock struts ... both of which have started to put me off in terms of hassle and cost in favour of the Teins. Also, Rob's demo of the Teins on his car was pretty emphatic - he can barrel along on uneven B roads at speeds that would have me in a hedge with brown seats  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

As for tyres, for the money the Toyos are great, but whichever way you go make sure you get 4 matching boots on ASAP!!!!

Most independent garages would remove the precats for you if you ask them (although you might have to explain why!), so find a local recommendation. I'm sure Steve at Glossop (Prolex's NW installer) would do this for you. Or you can DIY. Happy to lend a hand - and Jason (enid_b) is a bit of a local expert now too  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hope this helps
Ste

(Jez - I think ?ed.c has parking sensors too - its a source of much mirth!)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

spit

*[Mod] I'm going to move this to general where most of the newbie "hello and early question" threads go - Ste [/Mod]*

Anonymous

Quote from: "red_leicester"Parking sensor?!  That's the first time I've heard of a 2 with one of them!

Ninjinski fitted a reversing camera which is even more OTT if you ask me.

spit

Quote from: "Moleshome"Ninjinski fitted a reversing camera which is even more OTT if you ask me.

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  *Ste forgets that he has one of these too*   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

THANX PEEPS For replying so soon. Quicker than an indain with his flipflpos on fire. Thanx for moving my thread to the correct place Ste as i didn't know where to put it.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

If you have the tel no for hypersports in Wigan (thats just up the M58 for me) that would be great. MR T quoted £160.00 just for one shock.  s:( :( s:(  Also thanx for your kind offer re precat removal.

Yes the rear parking sensor is a strange item, it works (in a fashion) it will either park you a million miles away or send you into the garage door. The last owner had it fitted, they stick out of the rear grill and look like the starter buttons on the QE II.

Liz

Hi and welcome along...yes deep pockets required..next will be the turbo etc etc..  s:D :D s:D
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

Hypersports details in this thread

Talk to the boss (Chris), tell him you're ROC and I'm sure he'll give you some sound advice.

I reckon Rob will also be happy to take you out in his Tein'd car - a very impressive piece of kit once you get above the slightly harsh ride at slow speeds on our great NW roads  s:? :? s:?

An additional thought - if you're free on the 25th, why not come with us on the drive-out to Silverstone for dyno day? That way, you'll see everything in one go!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanxs again ste, will contact hypersports tomorrow.

Will check with work to see if i'm working on the 25th,sounds like an excellent idea. Just a bit concerned if the old pre-cats will make the distance. If i get them sorted by then and not working, i'll come along to the dyno day., sounds fun.

Regards John.

Anonymous

Hey Welcome John

Understand your concern about pre-cats, there are several answer's, I've got an aftermarket Che fitted - does the job but a bit basic, I'm now lookng at the performance route, which can be either PPE, Hayward & Scott or a new design which I'm going to post as a possible group buy, you need to think long and hard what you want out of the car.

So I have got to start a list for driving with Tein's on the 25th   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If anyone would like a test drive on the 25th, then no problem, it'll be a little slower than the TTE but just as much fun  s:D :D s:D  

Thanks
Rob

rtbiscuit

hi and welcome to the club!

i'v just swapped to toyos all round, and they seem pretty good, does handle differently, but am adjusting, seems good. (swapped from RE04's rear, Eagle F1's front)

if your looking at intakes again go for the PPE, not just because i'm on the list, but because if you research they are the best option IMHO.

pre cat wise, another option is to replace your manifold. you have several options CHE or PPE, and for even more money there is H&S and some other options. i'm personally looking at getting the CHE, but with toyota gaskets.

also come down to SP on the 25th. i'm fairly new, and this will be my first meet as well. i'm looking forward to seeing what everybody else has, and i think it will help confirm some of my future mods.

hope this is of help. but their are a million and one ways to empty your wallet on here, as i'm rapidly finding out.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

thanx again for the warm welcome & info will work on the sp dino day and possible meltdown of thou credit card that may result in such actions.  s:P :P s:P

kanujunkie

Quote from: "crystolic fusion"and possible meltdown of thou credit card that may result in such actions.  s:P :P s:P

give in to the force, young padewan!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

rtbiscuit

as you can see i stuck to my principals and have refused to mod my car like  i said i would when i bought her 6 weeks ago.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Hi John.

If you're going to replace the leaky rear shock, do them as a pair to avoid any handling surprises. There are other options for all four corners - either just shocks or springs too - worth considering on your mileage.

For example, the Teins height and damper-adjustable kits (D-Tweeks will do them for 800 quid all-in if you ask for Steve and tell them you're ROC. Hypersports in Wigan confirmed to me this week that they'll beat that price for ROC members  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Koni inserts are also an option, but you'll need new top-mounts too and a bit of surgery on the stock struts ... both of which have started to put me off in terms of hassle and cost in favour of the Teins. Also, Rob's demo of the Teins on his car was pretty emphatic - he can barrel along on uneven B roads at speeds that would have me in a hedge with brown seats  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

As for tyres, for the money the Toyos are great, but whichever way you go make sure you get 4 matching boots on ASAP!!!!

Most independent garages would remove the precats for you if you ask them (although you might have to explain why!), so find a local recommendation. I'm sure Steve at Glossop (Prolex's NW installer) would do this for you. Or you can DIY. Happy to lend a hand - and Jason (enid_b) is a bit of a local expert now too  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hope this helps
Ste

(Jez - I think ?ed.c has parking sensors too - its a source of much mirth!)

phoned stuart at hypersport, quote of £750.00 all in and thats without speaking to chris re discount for roc members. He's ringing back tomorrow
regarding prices for rear only stock v upgrades. Seemed really helpful.

spit

For the Super Street including the upper mounts? incl. VAT? Wow. Thats £140 off RRP. Result!

Do you want to try for a price on two?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

(In case you want to double-check, the kit number - with mounts - is GSY24-B1SS4)

enid_b

removing pre cats is easy, i would say spit was the expert, as we did a team effort on mine,

- spit busy with the spanners and plusgas, enid busy with the tea and marlboro golds.

if you wanna come down to manchester sometime we (or i) can have em out for u in a couple of hours.

if ur thinking of doing them, then start soaking all the bolts (covered on the forum elsewhere) as of today.  oh, and before you whip em out, you need to get new gaskets for the manifold to main cat and the block-manifold gasket (the latter is reusable - i did and has caused no probs)

gaskets are 2 rings (pictured on here too somewhere) and cost me £6.50 from Mr.T

its an easy easy job if the nuts are well soaked, and like i say, more than welcome to come over, i think burnley audio charged about £125 for removal so its a cheaper option to DIY .

welcome to the gang

P.S. - I saw a '2 with parking sensors toady on my way in to work, i thought WTF are they doing on there, so its quite appropriate that this should be mentioned on a thread today,

it just proves that people read the signatures !!!!
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

I can only try, i'll get a price on 2 tomorrow and let you know.
i dont know if that price is including fitting as well.

Cheers John.

spit

Quote from: "crystolic fusion"i dont know if that price is including fitting as well.

I'm guessing not John, unless you've negotiated a bargain and a half!

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"For the Super Street including the upper mounts? incl. VAT? Wow. Thats £140 off RRP. Result!

Do you want to try for a price on two?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

(In case you want to double-check, the kit number - with mounts - is GSY24-B1SS4)

Fancy trying a price for 3 sets?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:D :D s:D

I have been looking for a set for a while now.

Anonymous

Just had a thought too,

Could you ask how much they will do the EDFC for as well.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

There's been a recent price-drop on the EDFC. This could work out quite well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm wondering now whether I should go talk to Chris about a group buy price, as per the Koni thread - no-one seems to have gone for the Konis  s:? :? s:?

Tags: