Winter Driving

Started by Peter Laborne, October 31, 2003, 10:51

Peter Laborne

Winter Driving Advice[/i][/u]

As the weather gets worse, we all need to think about preparing our cars for the change in conditions. Cold mornings and icy roads increase the chances of breakdowns and accidents so make sure your car is ready and that you adapt your driving style to take account of the state of the road. Winter driving brings with it its own dangers and a little extra can help prevent breakdown, accidents and make life much easier should you be caught up in adverse weather.

I have been caught out. A couple of years ago it took me over four hours to drive 1.5 miles.....and I was the only car on the road. I had driven along the road just 20mins before and it was clear, but on the way back a snowdrift had covered it.

Here are some tips to get you prepared.

1. Preparation - check the following items:
  • battery
  • anti-freeze
  • wipers and windshield washer fluid (wipers should be changed every 6 months)
  • ignition system
  • thermostat
  • lights
  • flashing hazard lights
  • exhaust system
  • heater
  • brakes
  • oil level
  • tyres (ensure they have plenty of tread and are correctly inflated)
  • towing eye (make sure you know how to fit it)
  • fuel level (remember the engine and fuel tank are towards the back of the car, hit a slope with a full tank of petrol and you could have problems)
2. Equipment - think about your trip. Consider taking the following items:
  • windscreen scraper
  • de-icer and/or pre-icer
  • mobile phone (with spare battery and charger)
  • extra fuel (have the fuel tank under half fill and carry cans in the front space. Spread the weight and still have enough fuel)
  • food, water, cigarettes
  • torch
  • first aid kit
  • blanket
  • additional clothes (including gloves)
  • tow rope
  • jump leads
  • medication (if you take any)
3. Driving - think about how you are driving:
  • if your journey isn't necessary, don't go
  • check the weather reports before leaving
  • winter driving requires being smooth and gentle when turning, braking and accelerating
  • if travelling through snow and/or across ice use a lower gear to get moving (eg 2nd or 3rd) and use the torque of the engine (not the power) to minimise wheelspin
  • allow extra distance between your vehicle and the one in front, especially in wet or icy conditions
  • allow extra time for your journey
  • if travelling a long distance or through a remote area, tell a relative or a friend. Give them your planned route if you've got one
4. Emergencies - if you do find yourself stuck in snow or adverse weather, take the following steps:
  • stay with your vehicle
  • display some sort of sign to show that you're in trouble
  • turn off the engine
  • Run the engine for around 10 minutes each hour to use the heater (vary the revs, just just keep it ticking over)
  • call your break down service provider
  • call home and give details of your situation and location
  • put on additional clothes
  • keep yourself moving -clap your hands, stamp your feet etc.
  • if you have a passenger, huddle together to stay warm

Don't let this happen to you. You could be stuck for some time. The following picture is on the central reservation on the M11!!!

Tags: