Re: Winter Driving

Started by Tem, October 31, 2003, 10:58

Tem

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"A couple of years ago it took me over four hours to drive 1.5 miles.....and I was the only car on the road.

Good post, but this line made me wonder...why did it take that long?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Last winter I had to drive about 5km (3 miles) in a snow, with the stock Yokos (which suck in snow as we all know). The car was sideways in every corner and acceleration, the rears kept spinning most of the time, the ABS kicked in when I breathed towards the throttle...but that 3 miles "only" took some 15 minutes.

4 hours and 1.5 miles would mean an average speed of 0.3mph  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"if your journey isn't necessary, don't go

Sounds like a good excuse for a day off work to me.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Peter Laborne"A couple of years ago it took me over four hours to drive 1.5 miles.....and I was the only car on the road.

Good post, but this line made me wonder...why did it take that long?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I had put off going to the shops and was out of food, so had no option but to chance it.

I made it to the shops with no problem and thought that I would fill up at the same time. Driving back, one road had a snowdrift. I had to go up a small slope. The weight at the rear made this impossible and I was sliding backwards in 3rd gear!!! The brakes didn't work, nor the steering and nor the gears. Trying to get up the hill I had created an icy road.....and I ended up sliding back down on the same ice!!!! I ended up sliding just off the road and was stuck!!! No signal on my mobile, I had no option but to sit it out. After a couple of hours a rescue patrol came along. They couldn't tow me out as the road was too icy and their vehicle would have slid into my 2. So we had to push. Eventually we got it free and I was on my way again. But I still had to get up the hill. I got stuck a couple more times before I made it to a gritted road. Luckly they followed to make sure I got home ok.

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"I had put off going to the shops and was out of food, so had no option but to chance it.
Surely for only 1.5 miles you would have been better off walking in those conditions?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Slacey"Surely for only 1.5 miles you would have been better off walking in those conditions?

a) It was bloody cold
b) I didn't think I would be stuck for sooo long
c) Leave my baby in the middle of nowhere.....you've got to be kidding!!!

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"c) Leave my baby in the middle of nowhere.....you've got to be kidding!!!
I meant walking to the shops in the first place!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Where did the first post disappear?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Edit: Nevermind, I see it got split into a sticky  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Tem"

The weight at the rear made this impossible and I was sliding backwards in 3rd gear!!! The brakes didn't work, nor the steering and nor the gears. Trying to get up the hill I had created an icy road

Heres a tip for next time. Reverse up the hill. When theres no other cars or all are in the same boat its no problem. Just needs a bit of care.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Peter Laborne"c) Leave my baby in the middle of nowhere.....you've got to be kidding!!!
I meant walking to the shops in the first place!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Because the nearest shop was over 10 miles away!!!!

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Because the nearest shop was over 10 miles away!!!!
What's the problem? Excercise is good for you!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

My shop is 2 mins up the road but i would drive (cos im a lazy git!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Should of put your skis or board on and had some fun shopping  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Peter Laborne

The sticky topic has been updated.

If anyone has their 2p worth that they want to throw in, just PM me.

Tags: