17 inch alloys

Started by dlivingstone_19, December 15, 2006, 16:08

dlivingstone_19

Will the following tyre set up be fine for my mr2?

standard suspension

205/40/17 at front
215/40/17 at rear
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

dlivingstone_19

I will be lowering by 35mm so trying to avoid rubbing.
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

roger

As long as both F & R are 7.5" rims, they would be OK
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

If you are lowering, the fronts might be liable to rub, but you are better off sorting out the plastic inner arch rather than playing with tyre size.
Roger

Anonymous

Fronts will definitely rub under average-to-hard cornering, but a little heat will bend the pesky plastic liners out of the way so that it happens much less.

dlivingstone_19

what plastic liners? don't they stop all crap from going deeper in arches. how easy is it to bend plastic liners?

Toyota MRS Spec:

Anonymous

Just heat them up (with a heat gun) and then push them inwards with a solid object (not your hand though, as they get rather warm!). Something like the end of a rolling pin or baseball bat would work fine.

evileye_wrx

What did the SP Guys use when they fitted the wheels on theDyno Day? I saw the heat gun process on mine but then lost interest and didn't take any notice of the actual molding-of-the-liner part.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Could've used anything, blunt end of a screwdriver would do.

VVT-i

I have the same sized tyre set up on mine.. I have lowered the car on Tien springs (30mm F and 33mm R if i recall correctly).. I have fitted 7J rims with an offset of ET38.. I have absolutely no rubbing in the slightest... and I can confirm that it is perfectly ok to fit both those sizes onto a 7J rim, I have no handling issues either.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

roger

Quote from: "evileye_xc"What did the SP Guys use when they fitted the wheels on theDyno Day? I saw the heat gun process on mine but then lost interest and didn't take any notice of the actual molding-of-the-liner part.

Phil

No idea, but it didn't work too well. I've had about 5 or 6 rubs. Not too bad, but always when there has been an imperfection in the road, pot-hole, ramp etc.

One day I'll spot the spot and try to do a bit of adjustment myself.
Roger

Silverman

Quote from: "roger"As long as both F & R are 7.5" rims, they would be OK

Hello Roger,
                 7.5" rims front and rear?   My Yoko's, on what I hope is a stock 2yr old Roadster, are 215/45/16 astern and 185/55/R15 up front.  Any comments?   S'man.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

roger

Quote from: "Silverman"

Hello Roger,
                 7.5" rims front and rear?   My Yoko's, on what I hope is a stock 2yr old Roadster, are 215/45/16 astern and 185/55/R15 up front.  Any comments?   S'man.

The original post was about 17" wheels. I have 7.5" on front and 8" on rear, so my tyres are different from those suggested by dlivingstone.
Roger

Silverman

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Silverman"

Hello Roger,

The original post was about 17" wheels. I have 7.5" on front and 8" on rear, so my tyres are different from those suggested by dlivingstone.

Thanks Roger, so if 17" wheels should have 7.5" rims (all round) - what rims do I have on my 15/16" wheels?
S'man.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

roger

I'm fairly certain they are 6" front and 6.5" rears. Happy to be corrected. Might be in the handbook - don't fancy a trip to the garage just now, sorry.
Roger

Silverman

Quote from: "roger"I'm fairly certain they are 6" front and 6.5" rears. Happy to be corrected. Might be in the handbook - don't fancy a trip to the garage just now, sorry.

No problem Roger, I can find out tomorrow and thanks for your time.

roger

S'man, Ok.

The rim size basically dictates what size tyres you can have. If you look on the Toyo website (and others presumably) it will give rim sizes for each spec.

BTW your comment that 17" should be 7.5" all round is not correct. Thats just one option. IMO they should larger at the back, like stock, with tyres to match, otherwise the "neutral" handling might disappear.
Roger

Silverman

Quote from: "roger"S'man, Ok.

BTW your comment that 17" should be 7.5" all round is not correct. Thats just one option. IMO they should larger at the back, like stock, with tyres to match, otherwise the "neutral" handling might disappear.

Yep, that's all understood.  It was just my interpretation of your Fri., Dec 15th @ 4.21pm - as it caught my eye at the time.

Tags: