Turbos and ecu's some help please

Started by DAZ400, November 1, 2003, 19:22

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Buster"oh not fair   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   LOL Kris when your there take some under cover pics please like wireing looms etc He He   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)

If its in the evening then it will be dark, but if i pop round at the weekend then i will see if Daz minds me taking some snaps!

you got a torch havent you   s:P :P s:P    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

Quote from: "DAZ400"ENJOY.......
 m http://www.btinternet.com/~darren.childs/pics.htm m
Sorry, who ever put that intercooler in there like that should be shot - might as well not have bothered for the airflow and heatsoak it's gonna get.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "DAZ400"ENJOY.......
 m http://www.btinternet.com/~darren.childs/pics.htm m
Sorry, who ever put that intercooler in there like that should be shot - might as well not have bothered for the airflow and heatsoak it's gonna get.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Im guessing that thats bad then !

what if there was a cold air flow from under the car or somthing like that or should it be put so that it has constant air flow for heat dissipation ???

DAZ400

Why
Explain why you say that
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

who me or martin   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

DAZ400

Why
Martin explain why you think that

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"Explain why you say that

I think what he's trying to say (less than delicately) is that you'd want your intercooler to be able to use cold air to cool it's fins, and that, perhaps the best spot for this is near the other thing with fins: the radiator.

mph

Simply, no airflow.

To have an air/air intercooler in that position will require ducting from under the car straight to the intercooler. SteveJ can tell you the ambient temperature at the location you've got it, and hence the heatsoak issue as you're right next to the engine. Not that it's place suitably for the side duct, but empirical evidence suggests that the duct is actually a low pressure area so there is little air flow at that point. Suggest you look the amount of work Lauren had to do to her mk1 supercharger intercooler in order to get it to work with any efficiency.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

But what you don't see is the big black pipe ducting cold air straight from the side vents through the intercooler.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mph

Quote from: "DAZ400"But what you don't see is the big black pipe ducting cold air straight from the side vents through the intercooler.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
That would be good - assuming it's actually attached and sealed to the entire core, but you may find that you'll actually see less air going through it than if it wasn't attached at all - see post above for details.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

It is attached and sealed and has a heat sheild plate against the engine side and ducts to cover the whole intercooler. I would expect A'pexi to have thought about it With their reputation to uphold.

mph

...But you stated it's not in the original location where it was designed for..?
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

But is very close to where it is supposed to be

Anonymous

Here's my PE turbo,e-manage,profec e-01

And the car itself and twin twin exhaust (not to everyones taste i know  s:? :? s:?  )

YES i know it needs a clean!!!

Anonymous

Why do you have an advert for Norwich Union Direct instead of the stereo?  I know the standard stereo is nothing special, but surely it's not that bad.

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Didn't notice that  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

DAZ400

Does the PE kit not have an intercooler with it ?

Anonymous

No.

mph

Quote from: "DAZ400"Does the PE kit not have an intercooler with it ?
Nope. DIY job, which TBH I think is a good thing.

Decent intercooling costs mucho $$ to do properly (certainly on this car) and that would put many off the initial purchase price of a kit. Those that simply want to throw an air/air in and hope it'll do the job can, while those that like their engines intact can spend the extra and do the job properly.

It's not that air/air is all bad, but in mid-engine layouts, getting sufficient air through them is the big problem. The TTE turbo uses an air/air - but they had the advantage of a wind tunnel to hand when in designing the scoop and feed for it.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

Martin what turbo kit do you have ?

The Celica injectors you had and sold do you have any info on them from what exact model and age type ?

If your turbo did not come with an intercooler have you put one in yours ?

When mine is finished I will measure air flow and temperature to see what is actually happening.

SteveJ

Quote from: "mph"
Simply, no airflow.

To have an air/air intercooler in that position will require ducting from under the car straight to the intercooler. SteveJ can tell you the ambient temperature at the location you've got it, and hence the heatsoak issue as you're right next to the engine. Not that it's place suitably for the side duct, but empirical evidence suggests that the duct is actually a low pressure area so there is little air flow at that point. Suggest you look the amount of work Lauren had to do to her mk1 supercharger intercooler in order to get it to work with any efficiency.

About 45 - 50 degrees centigrade ie. Bl**dy HOT! And those temps were taken from data I gathered in Angelsey earlier this year (outside temp ~10C)

Anonymous

so why do some turbo's have intercoolers and other dont ??????  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Quote from: "Buster"so why do some turbo's have intercoolers and other dont ??????  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Cause too many ppl stare at the price tag and go for the cheapest one?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I didn't go for the cheapest i went for the only 1 that I thought had enough support through other installers, incase of trouble.The fact it didn't have an IC didn't put me off as the psi they are set at it really isn't neccessary,and my future plans the air/air wasn't enough,so it would of been a waste of money.I'm happy going with my choice of water injection, untill i build a custom air/water IC to work with it, not instead of.

The apexi IC position seems that it would be inefficient, but at the set psi, not having 1 at all isn't the end so having 1, however efficient it is, can't be bad.(unless it soaks in more heat than it loses).If i was to go up from the set psi i wouldn't rely on an air/air to keep it cool enough.

mph

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The fact it didn't have an IC didn't put me off as the psi they are set at it really isn't neccessary...
I disagree with this. The traditionalists say that "anything under 8psi doesn't need an intercooler". However, that 'not need' is a very subjective phrase.

Even if you never make any positive boost, just having the charge intake go through the turbine housing will substanially increase it's temperature. I don't have a quantitive figures but I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate a figure of 30C over ambient once the engine is warm and could be significantly more.

Using Gay-Lussac's Law (P / T = k) expect upto another 40% or so increase for when you're running under our low levels of boost and you can see why I think that 'not need' phrase is a bit too subjective for my liking. Our engine certainly isn't designed for FI and throwing in such high charge temperatures to an engine which is set at such a high compression level just doesn't sounds too appealing for longevity.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tags: